Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon anyone?

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

...pasta with egg and ham, banana, dried mango, egg, chips, and bacon butty, chocolate rice cake, pasta ready meal, yoghurt rice cake, dried cranberries; guys, I'm so bloated I don't think I can make it to the start; you sure I should be consuming 7g of carb per kg of body weight for 3 days prior to the start?

Orbutt! So that's what those arrows mean on those wind circles on the MET office website? This is awesome - these conditions keep getting better - wind on our backs for the lst 4 miles! This has got to be pb territory? As long as I keep eating!

Welcome to Liverpool Bev! I feel like a right wimp; schedule says 2 miles easy today but I'm not going out cos my running shoes will get wet and I don't want my feet wet at kick off tomorrow; I'll just stay in and keep roasting this hog on the fire for my supper, with pasta of course.    

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    I'm doing the HM and have to drive in. Any suggestions where to park with the road closures planned? Not expecting a pb after hydrating with wine and beer over the last week. Going just to enjoy it. Have a great day all
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

...two more rice cakes. Hi 2Old. Where you coming in from, and are you expecting to pay? I'm on The Wirral and would usually go in via the Queensway tunnel, on exit take the first left off the roundabut, you basucally turn through 180 deg. Immedately off the roundabout is a smallish car park on your left, not sure of its name, but if you continue further dow,n if its full, then there are a good few hundred spaces in the Moorfields car park. Can you get to Google to street view all that?

I did get that 2 miler in finally; about 7pm it faired up...feel a lot better for it...had to carry my pregnant belly full of food around in a shopping trolley but it all worked out fine.

Good luck everyone!     

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

...rice cake, rice cake, rice cake, rice cake, rice cake, sultanas, sleep, wake, sleep, wake, sleep wake, yoghurt, sleep, wake, sleep, alarm; what the? 2 toast, banana, sultana bran; yeehaar; here we go!

Look at that day...it wants us to run!

Hope you all have a good one!

• Hearing some very worrying things from people in attendance. The leaders apparently went the wrong way at some point, blocking off of roads has been iffy, and there have been problems with traffic interfering with runners as well.

I'm not there, so I hope it's just rumours, but that would be a huge shame.
  • bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

In our experience there was one junction with three exits and no marshal but otherwise ok......big disappointment was lack of music!!! A couple or three live bands but mainly a few djs only......I hear more beat on the birmingham half! 

• Well that was hard, certainly not fully recovered from Manchester mara, but managed to hold onto the 3:15 pacer til half way, then at 16 had an emergency exit of breakfast! image Beetroot shots and a pint of innocent do not mix image. Felt a lot better and I was off again. Shame about the lack of bands, there was at least double that in Manchester. Not Sold as Seen for me as the support was sparse at best. Loved the drumming band on the hill, they were cool and clapped those all the way past. & you can't argue with the medal, top draw edition to hanger! How's everyone else fair? Still in the city, showered up; t-shirt on and time to head for booze image
  • Weather stayed good, 4:26 for me in the end, halfway at 1:58 and then struggled. Helped a woman who collapsed right in front of me, so hope she's ok.

Last 4 miles were tough, that big wheel never got closer!!

Band every mile, no chance...Batala band always good on the drums, DJ set in Stanley park making a good noise and a couple of good bands later on. Enjoyed the course (apart from Goodisonimage ) ,I'd do it again, mainly because i'm local. Nice medal.

Can't believe the front runners went the wrong way, otherwise it seemed well organised...I did nearly miss the t-shirt at the end though, but that was my fault.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

That was fantastic! Mainly because I clocked 3:52 - in Manchester I struggled home in a disappointing 4:36. Dead pleased with my second fastest ever. Those last 4 were a massive battle; I need to do more training to ace those. As soon as I left the 22 mile water station I needed more; it felt like an age reaching 24; in fact as I rounded the corner to it I just stuttered to a stop but told myself to bloody get on with it and managed to re-start almost immediatley; think I was overheating; most of the water went on my head.

I didn't have any major problems - a few bikes on course? Some seemed to be supporting runners; others just seemed to be Sunday cyclists getting mixed up inadvertently? Loved those drummers; and the DJs and a few bands; the last 4 were miles were sparse though.

Got the free Cobra in; now at home sipping Sol!

Hope everyone had, and is having a great time!   

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the HM .Route nicely included many sights and the music was good. Where can I find the results ?

• Yes I heard that marshalling was very poor. Leader obviously had the bike to follow - but once he was out of sight - no Marshalls meant confusion. It's a lot easier in the masses as you just follow the crowds.

Finish area was great - just not sure if the racing details were as well thought out ?

Congrats to all the finishers anyway. I got a tan just supporting.
  • have just left a review - lack of marshalls was an issue had spectators walking the course with half a mile to go

there was one road in the city centre that hadn't been closed - not great

the flyover had no marshals where it split - would have been very easy for the front runners to take a wrong turn

music on the course was sparse

i',m making it sound like a terrible event - it wasn't and i'll be back next year.

anyone have a working link for the results?

• Yep - one of the lead groups had to hop over the wall on the flyover.
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

I couldn't have been too far away from you Lowrez.  I failed to start my watch properly at the start but I think I was around the 3:50 mark. 

I started well enough and was on for around 3:30 but my lack of long runs due to illness took its toll by mile 22 and last 4 miles were really tough.  I was struggling with signs of cramp in both legs and was really concerned something was going to pop but thankfully got through it hurting but unscathed.  I definitely wasn't the only one suffering in the heat, a girl who finished right in front of me collapsed on the line.

I enjoyed the course although agree that the music was very disappointing.  Far too many dj's for my liking, one right near the finish was just playing with his phone and didn't seem at all interested in supporting runners. 

I was in a group that almost went the wrong way on the flyover at mile 10.  As you say a marshall should have been there.  A police motor cyclist came flying down the road telling us to head the WRONG way, thankfully a few in the group knew better and we ignored him after the initial pandemonium.  I had visions of ending up at the half marathon finish but thankfully not.  Must say that it does give some ammunition to the anti earphone brigade as one of the guys in front of me wearing them didn't hear us and just carried on the wrong way. Not sure we're talking about the same flyover Cougie as it didn't look possible to me to hop the wall and we had to double back.

Yes there is certainly a lot of room for improvement but all in all for a first event I think it was pretty good and has real potential if they sort out the few marshalling issues and improve the music. 

• Really enjoyed the varied course and thought the organisation was perfect, one of the best I've ever done.  Only negative from me was the lack of 'live bands every mile' there were a lot of DJ's yes and the one in Sefton park had just plonked his boom box outside and sat in his van!

• Those running with the 3 45 pacers took the wrong turn at the flyover - police were there but no marshals. Luckily I was just a few yards back so it didn't effect me.

I've also ran the Brum half and Manchester full in the last year and entertainment was better at both.

Thanks to the guy who hauled me to my feet after I went sprawling to the ground over one of the little humps along the prom two miles from home. Couldn't get up by myself because cramp set in straight away.

Still I've got a nice scar on my elbow and a good medal to show for what was generally a cracking day.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Well done Loz! Sounds like we are both on a come-back trail; not sure how far I can take this but I'm out again in another 7 weeks time - will take this week off but plan a 12 miler on Sunday. I need more speed work; didn't do a great deal in the last 7. I know I can go faster; need 3:30 for a Boston qualifier.

Now then - route confusion - coming back down New Islington there was indeed a police man - off his bike - back to the runners having a major conversaton with someone. Just before that everyone was skipping across the divide to take the left hand fly-over; I remember thinking "are you sure we should be doing this"; but in the absence of anything else I became a lemming and followed the rest. If you look at the interactive map: http://uk.competitor.com/liverpool/course we should have simply re-traced the outward route? I don't think there is anything in it distance wise though...do I recall seeing a published route by street name? Maybe that wouldn't help anyway.

I loved all the DJs; that thumping beat is hypnotic - gave the Islington guy a wave on the way up and down and got a wave back both times - as I came down The Castle and in to James St the band finished a Dire Straits number giving me the opportunity to yell "play some Floyd man" as I took the bend. The China Town music was etherial - I floated up that rise and the greeting was amazing with the clapping and fans slapping and waving.

I'd definitely run it again; they just need to get those last 4 miles right - needs water every mile - where was all that entertainment listed in the pdf? Why were bikes riding "at us" - I went past one group of 3 people in fits of laughter shouting at a friend on a bike to get off the course - he rode towards me and then spun round and overtook me - he wasn't in my way but you don't need stuff like that when you're dead on your feet and trying to get down the road. Further on a bike with bright yellow rider was right in amongst us riding at us; I remember shouting "are you for real" as I dodged out of the way.

All minor niggles in a grand day out though.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Results are up - better to be frugal with the selection boxes, name and number only, I initially piled in everything and it didn't find me: http://running.competitor.com/cgiresults?eId=90&eiId=209&seId=670

• Needed to post and say I had a cracking day yesterday. The course was excellent and the finish section really well managed. The medal is top quality, I was able to try on a t shirt and get the right size. Plus lots of free packs of crisps and a free beer at the end helped the recovery. No problems personally with marshalling and the drinks, gels etc on route were plentiful although I agree another drinks station at about 23 was needed. The results are on line and lots of good photos too. I would certainly do another rock n roll event. There was perhaps a lack of on course entertainment but I never think that's of much use anyway. The only real issue I had was that the 4.00 and 4.15 pacers started from the 3 hour coral. With wave starts that meant they were way ahead of the 4 hour coral. I passed the 4.15 pacer at 1 mile. Never found the 4 hour one. This normally wouldn't be a problem but I forgot my watch. Ended up going out faster than planned...which in reality was a bonus because I finished in 3.45 when my goal was 4....this may explain my glowing review ????.
  • The 4 hr pacers balloon fell off after about 10 secs of getting going!  and he was in the right corral.

• Sorry but he wasn't. That might be the organisers fault. My predicted time was 4 hours and I was placed in coral 4. I was right at the front and I could see 4hr and 4.15 in the coral in front. It said on the flag for coral 4, 4hrs to 4.99.
  • Ah, I put 3.59 and was in corral 3 so assumed that the 4hr pacer was in the correct corral with me.  He was going too fast anyway doing around 8.45 for the 1st 3 miles. 

• had a great time running the half, 

did my 1st marathin 3 weeks ago and have niggles in my knee since so set off steady pace to see how it felt, ended up running 34 secs off my PB, lovely course, really enjoyed the route

i did think there would be more bands

loved the goodies after, fab medal, lovely tee, free beer image sat in the sun with club friends listening to the music enjoying our drinks 

fab weekend image 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed the event and ended with a 4:09 PB. 

After reading the comments here the I think I ran the wrong way down the flyover - as we could see the 10 mile marker on the the road that we weren't on. I'll have to work out where we went wrong and how we got back on track. 

Loved a lot about this race - I'll be back

edit:

Just checked the official route and I ran the proper way but the 10 mile marker was in the wrong place. 

• Did 3.47 yesterday which was PB so really pleased and fantastic weekend in Liverpool.  Thought race was well organised, I had slight concerns due to website being so poor, on the day though fantastic. Start really well done with intervals, course great and loved the football grounds.  Hill back down to City really welcome and then parks not too bad.  Last 4 miles was tough as it's only last mile or so you can see the city and therefore finish.  End well organised in the arena and beer and concert at end both really nice touches.  I agree with comments about lack of bands, I enjoyed the DJ's however very clear there wasn't anywhere near 26 music acts, prob nearer 10-12.  I would do this again, equally would do any marathon in Liverpool as such a great city.  Went to the excellent museum of Liverpool this morning before drive home to Bath this afternoon, great weekend.

• Really enjoyed the marathon yesterday and the beer at the was a bonus. Just wondering if anyone felt like me that the mile markers were Either the wrong distance apart or missing . Between two of the timing mats it claimed I'd been running 5.40 pace which I couldn't do if I had a pack of dogs chasing me. Makes me wonder how accurate the distance was. What do people think?
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Feel as though I wimped out only doing the HM but at least I was 2nd in my age group. Think I will do the marathon next year ....everyone very positive about it even with the odd hiccup 

• 26.21 on my garmin and I found the mile markers pretty much in the right place, so I had a good feeling it was going to be accurate.