Options

London Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

I didn't have any talent - shown by my last marathon in May which was 4:53 - but between 1988 and 1998 I ran 7 marathons, all but one under 3 hours, with a best of 2:41 - I was nothing special, I just trained hard over a period of years - I ran from 1983 to 1986 without running a marathon, gradually getting my other times down (not that I knew what I was doing) then ran my first one in 3:16 in 1987 off a half marathon pb of 87: and bits. I joined a club a just by running with faster guys every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday my half time dropped to 81, and in Feb 88 a sub 3 (2:56). We didn't b*gger around with gels, electrolyte drinks etc, we just ran in a group, and usually the pace was fast, we didn't do long slow stuff we just ran hard. Did start throwing in reps, but these were run as hard as possible and recovery based on the watch of the first runner to finish the rep.  So yes you don't have to have talent, if I had had talent I would have run well under the 2:41 I managed, you just need the ability to train and train hard.  SO whilst I am guessing I am having a go at Safety29 - yes you can get a GFA - but it may take years of progressive training, not some miracle fuel or gel - Charlie Spedding's book is well worth a read as he makes the point that after winning London and his Olympic medal people were keen to find out how to do it - he said, that they were not interested in the 16 years hard training he had put in,  Sorry Rant over I'll get my coat.

May you all get the result from the ballot you are hoping for (me I just want the chance of bettering 4:53)

• Options

Seren - I agree, as a 58 year old man I thought 3:15 was a bit tricky, particularly compared with some of the ladies' targets.  The extra 5 minutes is welcome, changes the target from silly to possible!

• Options

Grendal3, but you still need a body that will allow you to put in those hard slogs. Not everyone can

• Options

for me the wait is over. I received my sorry magazine today. That makes it six rejections in a row . Anyone know when next years ballot opens?Think I might aim for ten rejections  image

• Options

Strawberry I do agree with that - but to get that body, is, in my opinion where regular progressive training comes in over the years allowing your body the chance to adapt to the training - just a few thoughts pointing out you don't have to be talented!

• Options

Anyone get an accepted magazine today or have they all been 'sorry' magazines?

• Options
    I didn't get my magazine today,I'm praying that they sent out the rejections 1st and I've been accepted,I'm not that lucky so it's probably just the Royal Mail being slow as usual.
  • Options

Someone I know got an acceptance magazine today.
    I asked them for the payment link, but it's not working at the moment.
    "http://www.virginmoneylondonmarathonballot.com/pay-now/"

/members/images/684417/Gallery/10710660_10204882032316446_2969982555176432987_n.jpg

• Options
    Tried the link and still not working,the suspense is killing me,guess I'll need to wait for the postman
  • Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

Yet again housemate for the 10th year running gets a No! 

It's getting a bit silly now I wonder what the secret formula for getting a yes! lol Oh well looks like it going to have to be the loch ness marathon instead and dragging me along too. 

• Options

Don't they still do the 5 consecutive rejections and you're in. I'm still waiting too

• Options

The easiest way to get in is to join a club. You would probably have much better odds of getting one of the club's places than getting in through the public ballot.

• Options
    +1 for joining a club. Our club get a couple of places and there's not a huge demand for them. Also through my club I helped at one of the water stations this year and apparently they all get places too. Again, I don't think they'll be a huge demand for our water station place. I've only entered the ballot once and was lucky to get in. I've since got GFA places.
  • Options

Another one here waiting for the postie.

Can anyone remember how much the entry would be should I be lucky? I didn't get asked for card details upfront.

• Options

It's about £35. Great value compared to the Great Run series and other commercial ventures.

• Options
    KattCKattC ✭✭✭

She was in a running club but it seem to be the favourites/good runners who got the places.  So 10th year in a row and its a standard joke now for her but lots of better marathons out there.

• Options
    Kattc - that seems odd as the good runners would all be getting championship or GFA places so wouldn't need the club places. All the clubs I know either just pick names out of a hat or give the places to runners who have helped the club most in the year in terms of marshalling, etc which seems fair.
  • Options

Neil Hallam - what does the acceptance mag look like then? just so we know what we're keeping an eye out for?!

• Options
    Couldn't disagree more with GFA not being attainable. I'm not talented or have some magic running genes. I've lost weight, trained hard, read advice, talked to people, trained some more and missed my GFA at Loch Ness this year by 2 minutes 3 seconds. I'll get that soon and have a GFA. It has to be difficult or everyone would get one. I'm going to get rejection mag for the fourth time but I'll just find some other marathons and chase a GFA for 2016.
  • Options

Good luck Stuart Wallace, you should have no problems if Loch Ness was as hard as I heard it was.

• Options
    It was hard and it's given me masses of confidence for a GFA and a BQ (but doubt I'd ever get in). I totally understand that for some people GFA really in not attainable but for some it really is a case of applying yourself. I though sub 4 was as good as I could ever be and really I've shown myself that I basically want trying anywhere near hard enough. There is a better solution for London than this, I'm sure, but I doint have the answers. I hate the fact that they send out a magazine that could easily be electronic. Everyone would know at the same time on top of the environmental impact too. Some races email the race instructions now as Loch Ness did.
  • Options

Just had my "Sorry" mag, but my wife has a "you're in" mag.. she got in via the bequest draw.

• Options

Yes, just got my "Your In" magazine through the post image

• Options

Yet another rejection...bored of this game  image

• Options

I reckon "most" healthy adults, who don't have an underlying physical impediment could achieve a GFA, with sufficient training and time. It would obviously be easier for some than others. Depends on a lot of factors, not least resiliance to injury.

I should point out that I'm quite a way off GFA time, but am hopeful that if I can continue to improve, by increments,

• Options

Got my rejection through - will have to stick to the GFA entry then image

This may have been asked before but do we start on the Red or Green start - was hoping for green to complete the set!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the GFA Andy!

I think the start depends on what predicted time you put down. I think 3.05 and under gets you on the Red Fast good for age start. I'm not 100% sure what the cut off is.
  • Options

This was my first year entering the ballot so not sure how it works but do they not email you!? Is the magazine the only confirmation you get? I moved house in August so I'm not going to get it either way! Their website isn't very informative... just says 'we'll let you know' image

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

One rejection and one lack of post here.

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

i've managed all three starts and I'm definitely not GFA image