Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

11.5 weeks to go.

Did a 10k time trial in 42:20 on the treadmill on Sunday.  Did 4 x 6:25 min miles with quarter mile jogs in between yesterday on TM.  The fast is good, now the programme concentrates more on the far.  15 miles this Sunday.  Supposed to be 9 min miles but thinking I might do this one quick and see how close I can get to 8 min miles.  Then the rest of my LSRs (1 x 18, 4 x 20 and 1 x 22) will be run at 9min miles.  

Anyone else doing the Eastbourne half on 1 March?

• 11.5 weeks to go .... Agh panic ,,, panic! Only 3.5 weeks till Brighton half - more panic....recovery run for me today.
  • Poohbear - good luck with your 10k in 2 weeks.

Ran a slow undulating 9.5 mile last night at club. Could have run faster, but we had slower runs. 

• Hi

Has anyone seen the route map for the race yet? Can't find it anywhere on the website, just wondering if I need to book a place on the bus from the finish  back to the start. 

Thanks, hope everyone's training are going well. image

• Thanks Rob image 

I am staying in the city centre, do you guys think is within walking distance to the start? Thanks

• dctdct ✭✭✭

In prep for Brighton am running the Old Deer Park half 22 Feb. Anyone else run it before or running it this time? Well organised?

Can't quite believe how quickly Brighton has come around.

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Preston Park is about 1 and a half miles from, say, the pier.  Which is approx town centre ish.  If you really don't want any miles in your legs before kick off then the bus service is very good, though a lot of roads will be closed on marathon day.

• dctoms wrote (see)

Can't quite believe how quickly Brighton has come around.

Calm down its not here yet - I've only just started training! - I dont need any more panic. image

• Why do you need to get back to the start after the finish TS? 

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Didnt think she wassaying that Grinch.

• Twinkling Star wrote (see)

Hi

Has anyone seen the route map for the race yet? Can't find it anywhere on the website, just wondering if I need to book a place on the bus from the finish  back to the start. 

Thanks, hope everyone's training are going well. image

• The route is the same as last year (so they say on their website).

http://brightonmarathon.stage.brightec.co.uk/course-map

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Water pouches are a double edged sword. Easy to grab, easy to open but hard not to squirt down the back of your throat. Often people drop them and then someone next to you stands on it and you end up with wet feet. I guess you are less likely to trip over one! So what can they do, dammed if they do, dammed if they don't?

Up to 30km for me last Sunday so prep is well on track!

• Two really encouraging runs for me this week, did 10miles on Wednesday with 9 at marathon effort then backed it up with 15miles today working to heart rate which i had never done before. Foam roller will be well used tonight!!

• wow swizzle top effort. I did 10 miles(LT session) followed by 11 today and felt knackered today. image. 18 long run at the weekend.

• Thanks Wenterrapin, surprized myself!! did the runs the other way around last week and pretty much got dropped on the MP effort run. Knocked my confidence a bit in my pace. think running on trail/mud all the time can play tricks on me a bit as i never really know where i am at. So treating myself to a river run most of it on road helpped today.

By the sounds of it you are running into some good shape!! Those 3 runs in a week are serious going! being tired today probably just means you ran well yesterday.

• Yes running on wet muddy ground is hard to pace, I have changed my long run route to avoid that now. Hope I feel better by the weekend for the long run.

I should get the foam roller out as well, while watching a good film.

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

did 6 miles @ 7:50mmm yesterday and 5 today @ 7:35mmm, during the lunch hour with a workmate who is also doing the Brighton mara. Thing is they felt good.  Not quick, not slow and easy, just steady, and felt I could have gone on a fair bit further at that pace.  Got 15@9mmm due on Sunday but think, just as a one off, I might see if I can do it at 8mmm or as close as possible.  Just as a little test then for the rest of my Sunday long runs I'll stick to the schedule of 9mmm and will look forward to Eastbourne half on 1 March when I shall be going all out.

• Rob do your slow runs slow and your fast runs fast. There is not much benefit to running long runs fast, leave that for LT sessions or VO2 max sessions. Are you following a plan?

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

It's only one run out of about 100.  Everything else to date has been to the book.  I'm on a 3:30 plan, will be happy with about 3:50 to be honest. 5 or 6 days a week running.  The benefit will be psychological.  

• Well done Rob better than me - I am always doing my GA and Long runs too fast. Often harder to do than say. Sure you will nail the 3:30 if you stick with the plan.

• Re an earlier post, buses from town to Preston park are very good...on any other day of the year but don't run on Marathon day. It's not far to walk, there are always lots of people heading that way.

• PS, found my post from last year

"Getting back to hotel near start. The roads will be open from 11.30 to get a taxi (there’s a rank on East Street, probably taxis around in the Old Steine) or the bus 5 or 5A from outside the pavilion (on the Steine) BUT the traffic is generally horrific, even though there are bus/taxi lanes it might be quicker to walk, depends what’s more important, the time to get there or the ability to walk another mile or so!  

Getting from Seafront to start. The direct roads are closed from 7am so no buses or taxis that route. It's not worth getting the train from Brighton to Preston Park station, that's as far as walking direct. There are always lots of people walking that way, this is probably the best choice. I don’t know how well the taxis understand the road closures, if your hotel is east of the pier tell them to go via Freshfield Road, Bear Road, Fiveways, Preston Drove and drop you by the park/bottom of Surrenden Road but you have to drive so far out of the way it’s hardly worth it unless your hotel is a long way east. If your hotel is West of the pier they can go to Seven Dials then either drop you at the bottom of Dyke Road Drive or go down Millers Road and drop you at the bottom of the Drove / South Road near the shell garage but it’s still marginal if it’s worth it unless your hotel is a long way west of the pier. Have a look on Google maps to make sense of this."

• Afternoon all

well the 20 miles went well Snowmaiden managed to run all of it we did have a couple of loo breaks an stop to by an energy drink on the way round but all in all she did well if you you’d have told me she be able to run 20 miles this time last year I'd have laughed in your face for being silly

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

anyone know a good site for finding a running partner?  Been running with a workmate who is doing Brighton also recently at lunches, but I am a little faster than him...he is going for 4-4:15 and I am going for 3:40-3:50. most of the week I am fine but would be great to have someone to run the LSR with on sunday mornings.  

• Happy with progress.... lost 10lb in 3 weeks (13st 13lb to 13st 3lb) need to lose another 10-17 lb.....

Comfortable 11 miles at 8.45 pace tonight.... gradually increasing millage on the long run.

• Also on the lookout for a marathon (South East Pref) Oct/ Nov any suggestions? cheers

• Great work Robert on your training and weight loss!! Sounds like with continued progress you will hit or exceed your goals com April.

If you are PB hunting come October Abingdon marathon is really good race and incredibly popular as only I think 1100 entries are taken. Entries open in early Feb and sell out in a couple of days.

We are thinking Valencia in November this year which should be fun, but might have work on my Spanish a bit before then.
  • Toby 20 miles this early on in training is impressive....I did 18 yesterday, so beats me.

Well done rob on the weight loss , but another 17lb ? You sure ? You can cut too hard to fast. Regards autumn marathons I normally do European ones and treat it as a holiday, might do Valencia this year as well. Ones in South East would be Bournemouth or maybe Portsmouth in dec .