Chester Half Marathon

Comments

• Colin H wrote (see)

I ran the bike paths on Sunday morning but started from Queensferry. I passed about 5/6 groups of runners from the training run, must have been close to 200 out and about.

I deliberately stayed off the Greenway on Sunday as I knew there would be hundreds..

Great training tho, and a wonderful way to help people have a great experience

• I did the training run on Sunday, first time I've been on the cycle paths. i think runners and cyclists don't mix too well on narrow paths. 

Anyway the race is officially full now and the race booklet is out. I didn't realise they were changing the route. You don't run through blacon anymore. That's where the best support was last year, don't remember much other support  apart from by the yacht pub 

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Twinkling Star - i got pretty excited evrytime we came to a bridge in Manchester image

Broke the news to Mr C last night about how early we were going to have to get up on a Sunday morning to get to Chester in time.  We are going to park and ride in we've decided as we pass it anyway coming from Wrexham direction (it is the one out by the finance park place isn't it (where M&S and the bank offices are))?  

Also where are the changing facilities please (it says theres nothing on the racecourse) i can't work it out.

• Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

Hi Chrissi, it says in the race booklet http://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/media/62330/runners_information_chester_half_marathon_2014_for_website.pdf   that the changing facilities are at Total Fitness, Liverpool Road, Chester CH2 1AQ

• Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the double post but as it is now only a few days away I was just wondering how people have got on with training for this and what sort of times people are looking at?

I look like I am going to make it to the start line which is already one better than last year and look like I should be in good enough shape to break 1.55 and possibly 1.50 if all goes well which I am very pleased about being my first half and roughly what I had set out to train for.

• Hi jimbob, that's great news just try not to go off too fast as the first mile Is up hill.

my traiNing has been a nightmare. Since manchester marathon just over a month ago ive had a calf strain so I've had limited running. I was planning a sub 1.30 possibly 1.27 but now I'll be happy with 1.35 but my calf is still sore as hell  so resting all this week and hope pain killers and adrenaline get me through it. I'm only running it as it's my home race, taking  a month or two off running after this.

• Hi all  -  just found this thread and want to put your incredible achievements into perspective as I'm only looking at a finish time of around 2.15 ish!  Came late to running (didn't start until I was 49) and am now pushing 55 but enjoying it and, after 10 halfs, more or less getting faster (or less slow anyway) so will keep going, even if I'm not out at the front image  Looks like it's going to be a warm one too.....

• Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

RhesycaeRunner - sorry to hear all hasn't gone well with training and yet you are still predicting a time like that.... wow. Good luck on Sunday and thanks for the advice.

Hi Lilytoo, I hope I am still running with the same level of enthusiasm when I get to my 10th half as you are!! 2.15 sounds a great time and I hope it isn't too warm as nearly all of my training runs have been done in the rain. Good luck and the all the best for Sunday 

• Hate hate hate running in the sun  -  driving rain and a bit of a breeze are my friends but I aim to enjoy it whether or no.  Looking forward to hearing everyone's times and good luck to you too!

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

I've been struggling to get motivated since Manchester so the plan is to take it slow and plod around at the back trying to enjoy it image

Good luck everyone see you Sunday

• I am devestated because I am injured and won't be able to RUN this Sunday. However, because it is half marathon number 5 of 12 Halfs I am doing in 12 months for MNDA I intend walking at back of field. Has anybody knowledge/experience of doing this?  I am hoping to get back within three hours, but if I don't will the finish, goody bags etc still be in place or will everybody have packed up and gone home?

• Lizzydan  -  last year's last runner came in just 20 seconds shy of 3 hours so I guess everything will still be in place!  Good luck  image

• Ive been struggling with training on the back of my first marathon at Manchester, legs have still been quite sore and ive been concerned i havent really had any decent training pre Chester, so i'm not sure how it will go.  Ill be hoping for a sub 1:39 which would be a 2 minute PB but ill just have to see how things go on the day and how i feel.

• If I get a sub 2.15 I'll be pleased  image  my pb is 2.11!

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

Hoping my legs will be recovered enough. Still sore from Excalibur marathon Saturday! Hoping for sub 2 hours Sunday and break my PB of 1:54 if all goes really well

• good luck to the first timers, you will love it. bit of advice first mile is uphill , second mile is down hill so take it easy and don't go off too fast.The second half of the race is mostly down hill so you can make up time then. Hill at end is not that bad.

where is everyone parking ? Don't think I can be bothered getting to racecourse before 7.30 it's a bit early? If it's raining though will be handy to have car to sit in before race ??

• We're planning on going to the park and ride on Wrexham Road  -  anybody got any advice?  Is that a sensible idea?  How feasible is it to get changed and showered at the health club in the city centre afterwards?  After the chaos and crowds of the communal showers at the end of the Amsterdam half and full marathon last year I'm not sure my natural shyness can cope again with being naked in front of fifty other women!  I'm guessing that posh health club showers will be less, errm, intimate?

• total fitness is a bit of a walk from the finish, especially if you have to walk back to get the bus? its prob about a mile walk

• Thanks Rhesycae  -  I don't mind the walk  -  might be nice to warm down  -  just wondered about how crowded it might be?  Have you tried it?

• I am running this for the first time this year.  I have a half marathon PB of 2:03 but have put loads of training in and am hoping to stay with the 1:50 pacers.  Has anyone any experience of running with the pacers at Chester?  Does it get really crowded around them?

Thanks 

• sorry never used the showers , it's a massive gym - looks really smart so there will be loads of facilities I'm guessing .  

Dont remember there being any pacers last year? The roads are wide so can't see it being a problem for you

• Brill thanks!  Looking forward to it, especially now the weather forecast looks a bit cooler.

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

This will be my 5th Chester Half.  Will be interesting to see if it's any quicker with the route slightly changed this year.

I have a friend who lives nearish to the racecourse so I am using that as an excuse to park on his street image

There is a very big car park a short walk from the racecourse  http://carparkmaps.co.uk/carparks/view/17472

• wiggly wormwiggly worm ✭✭✭

Hello, this is home race and I'm very excited....love it! I think the Park and Ride on Wrexham Road would be a good bet. Total Fitness is a great gym, nice facilities, cafe etc and probably less than a mile from the finish. Interested to see how the new route pans out - a bit less of a climb at the finish maybe? Hope you all have a great day and good times image

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

I think the finish is very similar unless i'm looking at the route map wrong.

Agree that total fitness is a good gym.  The training runs go from there aswell so they will be well prepared for runners doing the event i'm sure

Does anyone remember the old route that started near handbridge and finished at the racecourse?  I preferred that route if i'm honest, even if it was a little more hilly.  The scenery was nice.  Although the new finish place attracts a large crowd which is great

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Peers - last time i did it it was that route i'll be wearing my shirt from it on Sunday in the hopes of blagging a spot prize image

Lilytoo - Will be at park & ride as it's on our way in anyway - hope they've put a few portaloos down there image

RR - had to go and find the profile when you said about hills confused me totally wondering where the hill was in the centre of Chester

• Lilytoo - Will be at park & ride as it's on our way in anyway - hope they've put a few portaloos down there

Ooh, never thought of that Chrissi  -  plenty at the racecourse though I believe so a bit of iron discipline needed for half an hour or so....image

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

Yeah plenty of loos on the racecourse from what I remember last year. Not sure about the park and ride though

Chrissi - Spot prizes? I didn't know about these. I guess I will be wearing one of my Chester half shirts then too image

The hills I remember are at the very start as you leave the racecourse (bit cruel) There's a hump on the way out near Mollington, a bridge over the dual carriageway and one in the last quarter mile

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Lilytoo - iron discipline for about 1.5hrs to get to the park and ride i'm praying the loos at coedpoeth are open image 

Peers - shouldn't of told you, you might get my prize image  oh and bridges don't count as hills well not if you live where i do but before i'm shouted at i know that i'm a lucky girl to live in the hills and not everyone has that luxury so a small hill can be a killer

Ooohh just realised the finish is near the Cornish pasty shop image 

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

Chrissi - Technically I suppose its not a hill, but its a fair slope over that bridge so I am counting it image 

Is everyone of the same opinion as the race organisers with regards to listening to music whilst running?  I have never listened to music in the past events, but I do in training and find it takes my mind off the actual running and makes it easier

Looking forward to tomorrow now.  Should be a great day