Options

Chester Half Marathon

124»

Comments

• Options

I just went for it.  I knew the heat was tough but came prepared with a camelbak and a cap.  I beat my PB and came in at 1hr 29:10 . And the best thing is that the achillies problem that has blighted 2014 to date seems to be under control.  Now the problem is that in a moment of madness last year i signed up for 2 races in May.  So now my thoughts turn to getting myself ready for the Liverpool full marathon (tacky rock n roll marathon) on Sunday.

I really appreciate the organisation of the Chester races - the route isn't as scenic as the full marathon but the finish in the City centre was great

• Options

I thought it was really well organised.  My second HM (first was Wirral in 2013). Hadn't done enough prep but was only a minute slower than Wirral, which is properly flat. Given the stories here about people struggling with the heat I'm pretty pleased with that.

• Options

The winner managed around 1hr 05 I think, I managed 2hr 23., as you can see worlds apart but this by no means undermines the effort put in by everyone who runs a HM.

Its not just the run itself, its the hours of getting off the couch and pulling your running shoes on.

No-one should ever put themselves down after attempting a HM! It's 13.1 miles.  TBH if it takes you 4hrs so what, you'll still be faster and prouder than the people who sit on there backside.

Anyone who runs at all has my unending respect, its not easy (well not for this 52 year old anyway). so pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

*Waxlion climbs off the soapbox*

• Options

That's exactly what I said to myself eventually Waxlion and you're absolutely right!

I think it comes from years of childhood of being told 'don't think you're better than anyone else, just because you've......' (fill in appropriate proud achievement).  I find it difficult to be proud of myself and always expect to be smacked round the head for showing off! 

*Lily gets off the therapist's couch......*  image

• Options
    Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

Now this is all over and done with where is everyone off to next? I am looking at either the Wirral Half in October or the Rhyl Half (Runfest) at the end of June but I cannot seem to find much info on either?

• Options

Wirral Half highly recommended. I did it last year - my first - well organised, very flat, bit of an issue with looping around at the end but I think there are plans to change the course this year.  BTR organise events really well.

• Options
    Jimbob987Jimbob987 ✭✭✭

Thanks Mark, just the recommendation I was after. 

• Options

No worries.  I'm off to the Buxton Triathlon next, maybe via the Mersey Tunnel 10k.  I need regular races to keep my motivation going!