When I were a lass .......................

I did my first 'ADT'  London Marathon in 1992.  There were still some 'slum' type houses in the East End and Docklands/Canary Wharf was still mostly a building site but I think the HSBC building was occupied.  The race finished on Westminster Bridge and the meeting place for family/friends was in Green Park.

It was much the same in 1993 but sponsored by Nutrasweet and a few more buildings in Canary Wharf.  

In 1997 there was a diversion in Dockands after the IRA bombing, it was sponsored by Flora and we got to finish in the Mall.  

In 2005 it was still the FLM, Docklands and Canary Wharf are totally unrecognisable from the early days.  We also didn't have to run over the cobbles at the Tower of London anymore - shame as I liked that bit of the route.  

What's going to be different this time I wonder and what changes have you noticed most.  

Comments

• I seem to remember running over a smallish bridge in 96, but don't know if I dreamt it! Never seen it since...
  • I don't go as far back as Sunluvva but I miss the Tower. That was always an exciting landmark.
  • My first was in 2000 - the Tower bit as already mentioned but also the bit from about 13-22 miles has been reversed. Around 2005 I think?

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

First watched my dad do his first London in 1984, Isle of Dogs was a bit of a wasteland. Ran my own first London in 1991, remember the Barclays building being built. I liked finishing on Westminster Bridge.

Didn't they put carpet over the cobbles back then?

• A red carpet, although it was so thin i don't think it made much difference and must have been a nightmare to the wheelchair's.

Did they change to course to make it more appealing to pro runners?

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

It was a red carpet - lots of people found it hard to run on but it never bothered me personally.  

Another new 'invention' I shall see at the start - the 'She Wee', now that really is a new one for me!  Will we see the Shard on our little trot?

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

there did used to be a small bridge -somewhere near St Katherines dock just before the Tower on the old route..... very narrow.

I can remember a (non running but miraculously expert) colleague telling me I needed to practice running on the cobbles or I wouldn't manage on the day...

I always miss all the landmarks (have never properly seen buck House...) - but think we should see the Shard up ahead just as we turn right onto Tower Bridge?

• I practiced running on cobbles !

The red carpet rucked up so you were better off on the cobbles at the side I think.

We used to run down by St Katherines dock didnt we ? Is that where one of the elites slipped and fell one year ?
  • I remember spectating the first year - Bernie Clifton and his ostrich. I must say the ostrich looked much fresher than he did image

• GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

I ran past some bloke in a Mark Hughes football shirt - only to see that it actually was mark hughes  not looking very happy at all.......

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Yes Cougie, one of the elite did slip over one year in the St Katherines dock bit.
    I remember it being still a building site in 1995 but much more housing in 1997 and the cobbles were no problem as I was going so slow even then.

There was a McDonalds at just before 16 miles and I nipped in there for a quality toilet stop.

• My first VLM I turned onto the Mall to find a bloody great pink mobile phone running in front of me. I had to go the long way round to avoid having him in my finishing pic.

I've still never bought a pic yet. I guess I'm waiting for that elusive one where I don't look like I'm about to keel over...

12th time lucky eh ?
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

As others said my first one in 87 finished on Westminster Bridge, can't remember when it started to finish on the Mall, I know '93 was the Bridge as Eamon Martin made his move on the incline. I remember the small bridge at St Katherines Dock -  and the cobbles, and the red carpet.  Mind last time I  ran it was 1998 so I guess it has changed alot.

Good luck anyway to all running Sunday

• I'm so glad other people can remember the bridge. I thought I'd lost the plot image
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I passed a man carrying a ladder and someone dressed up as a spider, then being overtaken by the Duracell bunny and a bunch of policemen, but never overtaken by a Rhino although they may have been a long way in front the whole time.

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Lol SteadyCJ - I reckon we've both nipped in the same Maccy D's.   I've been passed by so many 'characters' but I was a bit peed off when Mr Blobby passed me.  I used to tell everyone that I'd run with Jimmy Saville for a few miles but I tend to keep it quiet these days image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

The Mall finish was introduced in 1994 - it was my debut!

They have tweaked the Isle of Dogs section in recent years to take out some of the tighter turns. 

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    I love this thread image

I didn't realise there was more than one rhino. Couldn't work out how it went past me and then ended up behind me again.
  • I may be imagining things, but I have a feeling we went clockwise round the Isle of Dogs in 2001, rather than anti-clockwise.

• I did the mini marathon in 1993. I'd forgotton it finished on Westminster Bridge. Only run the full marathon once. Think I got beaten by a lot of characters (and rhinos!)

• There are several rhinos and they are all faster than me image

Beat that bloody Womble Orinico last time though image

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Bloody Rhinos - they get everywhere don't they image

Don't mind it when I end up running with a crew of firemen though - had a load holding a ladder between them once, that was a nice diversion image.

I know the route's been reversed in the Isle of Dogs/Docklands bit but I can't tell the difference as it was all being developed then so most of it was a building site anyway.  

The restored Cutty Sark will look different - I used to play on it as a kid as I'm from that area.  I saw the piccys of it and the bottom bit is all enclosed now with costa coffee's and similar stuff.  Not as interesting to look at as the proper bow with the portholes and canons