Can Mo Farah win in London?

13»

Comments

• I do wonder how much people were influenced by Paula Radcliffe coming off a good series of track results and destroying the field in her first marathon.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Disagree, in the context of him being multiple 5 k an 10k champion who has been preparing for this for over year the time and position are disappointing and raises question marks over whether he would be throwing away future track titles trying to win in an event he is less suited to.    

Radcliffe always looked like a runner in need of a longer distance to shake off her faster rivals, Farah looks more like a runner who is on his limit to stay with them for 10k whilst keeping enough of his natural finish to win.    All Foster was doing was pointing that out and full marks for doing so.   

If he's going to have marathon success it'll be at the Olympics or Worlds or maybe a marathon without pacemakers (New York?).    If I were Farah I'd be looking to do another marathon and then decide, nexttime go with the front group and if he can't get close to finishing with them it's probably not for him.  

• I was at Mudchute and haven't watched so race back, so I can't comment on what Brendan said.

Pops I pretty much agree, the marathon was playing the Paula's strength, I wouldn't say that for Mo - but how many people overlooked that?

I too think his next marathon will be telling.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Brendan basically said he should forget about marathons and go back to 10Ks and 5Ks.

Here is a report.

(Edited to add that the link is a report relating to Foster's comments).

• Fair play to anyone who runs under 2:20 in their first attempt at the Mararhon, let alone 2:08.

Brendan Foster certainly didn't intended to belittle Mo's first attempt at this distance.  I think he was highlighting where he thinks Mo's best chances of success lie in the near future. It just came accross wrong.  I'm sure if he had his chance again, he would put it differently;  The perils of live commentary. 

Give Mo his due though, he said wants to give it another go, although, this  comment was given in a live interview soon after the finish.  I'm sure he will take stock, and when the dust settles, decide where his future lies.

• Mo must go down in history as one of only a tiny number of finishers from their first marathon NOT to immedialtely say "never again" ..........and  then change their mind.

I hope he tries again............ but obviously it means massive loss of earning power in terms of track meetings- I don't know whether he'll get the same money for doing 1 or 2 marathons per year as he would by just cruising around the meetings earning a lot of "easy money" on the 5k circuit................wonder what he'll do.

• I took 12 minutes off in my second marathon so he should be OK

• He did very well for his first marathon but should ditch the Quorn and go for pies and he'll lots more energy.

• I think brendan foster did bang on a bit too long about 'mo needing to stick to the track'. he might be right, but it was overly negative.

Kipsang was right with what he said today, though. You can't truly excel at both.

• Mo will be on Loose Women today, no doubt he'll be talking about what happend on Sunday.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Mo had a bad patch in the middle of the race, which probably cost him the UK record, but had the guts to keep going.  He managed to overtake one of that leading group of eight (a 2:04 runner) and if he had found another four seconds from somewhere he would have got past both Mutais.  

He was in no-man's land for a lot of the race and had to put all the work in himself.  I think he did brilliantly.  I predicted 6th so a bit out.

Whether or not he can do a Zatopek at Rio, and double up on the track and the marathon, he'll have to think about.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

He did very well for his first marathon but should ditch the Quorn and go for pies and he'll lots more energy.

I do marvel at the logic which mums in supermarkets will use to dismiss quorn on the grounds that Mo 'only' ran 2:08 not 2:04 image

Sort of like a 18 stone lardarse on a football terrace screaming at a premiership footballer to 'run, you lazy b*stard!'