Route planning advice please!

Hi hoping someone can help!

I have recently re-discovered my running mojo after losing it for a while, and have entered a half marathon in September - so I have plenty of time to train for it, but would like to start increasing my distance on long run day.

The thing is, I've moved house since the last time I was training - and I lived in an inner city area last time so it was fairly easy to plan my routes. Now I live in a more rural area with lots of country roads and no pavements and am finding it a bit tricky!

I hit gold with my first attempt and have a regular 6 mile route - but when I tried my first longer one it was a bit of a disaster, and quite a big part of it involved me diving into the hedge at the side of the road every time a car came as I didn't realise there wasn't even a grass verge!

I now have a 9 mile route too (completely by accident as I had to change plans due to similar problems!)

Before, when I was running in the city, I was able to add in laps to lengthen my routes slightly as and when required, but it's impossible now as most roads round here take me out into the arse end of nowhere - although the scenery is much prettier! image

Does anyone have any tips on planning good routes when surrounded by country roads?

Comments

• Do you run at night, in the dark? Less of a problem during the summer, but make sure you are visible with high vis gear, consider a headtorch with flashing red light on the back.

For route planning use the Ordnance Survey website. OS plans show footpaths and bridleways.

Once you get used to it I expect you'll find rural running much more enjoyable than plodding round urban streets. Safer too in my opinion.
  • I've used mapmyrun to find routes other runners around the area have done. I get hopelessly lost on the country roads round norfolk when I run down there, so having someone else's route helps.

I also find I have to take my phone out to make sure I'm still on track!

I do have no sense of direction though ... !!
  • kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

+1 for mapmyrun. It gives you a lot of information such as the gradient of any road, so you'll know if you're running up or down hill before setting out (this was super helpful when I was on holiday in the alps during my marathon training...didn't want to find myself running up a mountain!). 

Have you tried driving out on a route before running it? That way you'll get a feel for the level of traffic along that road. 

I run both in inner city during the week and in countryside at weekends. to make it safer (there are no pavements  and some roads are very tiny), I make sure that whatever the weather or time of day, I'm wearing visible clothing. I run on the same side of the road as on coming traffic (amazing how many people don't!). I don't wear headphones, so that I can hear any on coming traffic (usually hear it before I see it). 

Enjoy! And good luck for the half marathon!