Valencia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Also, if anyone is incredibly geeky like me and enjoys studying the course beforehand, I've created a Strava route here: http://www.strava.com/routes/819171

SO MANY out and backs! Don't think I've done a course like it before...

• Feel like I am late to the party!

Signed up to Valencia for this year based on the 2013 RW thread, my first ever marathon, nervous. Have done a couple of halves before.

Any tips for training?

Training is up to 13 miles this weekend, not as fast as you guys, about 9min miles. 

Also we are arriving on the Friday evening about 8 so will miss the expo, is this a problem for getting numbers etc? 

• Hi Lucky, Expo is open on the Saturday too I believe. 

Is 9 min miles your planned race pace? 

• Finally getting round to entering, even though flights have been booked for months!! 

Do we have to pay the €5 license fee on top of the €55?? 

• Stephen, I think the €5 has to be paid as a day of insurance or similar if you are not a member of the Spanish Athletics Association.

• Thanks jake, will enter today! 

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

was looking at doing this before signing up for Frankfurt but struggled with the flights - what flights have people managed to get to Valencia - i could not find anything going direct? Maybe i was just looking wrong image

• Hi Andy, I've done Gatwick to Valencia with Easyjetimage
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i was looking from manchester or liverpool - probably explains it then image

• Some Resources to help with your training and motivation,...
    Strava running Club of local runners preparing for the 2014 Valencia Marathon,.. http://www.strava.com/clubs/102926

Set a goal and stay motivated,...
    http://www.strava.com/goals/segment/135962

Flights
    London Stanstead to Valencia (RyanAir)London Gatwick to Valencia (Easyjet)

Also worth considering flights to Madrid and High-Speed Train AVE to Valencia, journey time 1hr30,...tickets from €22 when booked in advance & online.

• i'm flying Newcastle to alicante & planning on getting the train from there...

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

Train from Darlington to Gatwick and then Easyjet to Valencia for me. 

• How's everyone finding training? Had my longest run since April at the weekend, 19 miles in about 2.35. Was good until about 16/17 miles when I started to struggle a little (but I did have a 5k race a couple of days previous so probably hadn't fully recovered from that).

• Done my first 'speed' type running since 2013, it's fair to say I'm out of shape! The heat isn't helping atm, even early morning and it's already 30oC..

It's amazing how much impact training for trail races/ ultra distance has on overall speed. Will definitely be incorporating some speed elements to my trail training post Valencia, it's no fun being a tortoise!

Stay fit and healthy all.

• I've had some minor injury issues/niggles which have affected my training programme a bit so just easing back in. Was supposed to have done 18 mile run a week ago but went for 15. Yesterday I did the GNR and it gave me a lot of confidence for Valencia. Had decided not to go completely flat out so as not to risk marathon training again but gave it a pretty hard go and managed a PB 1h55 m50 which equates to about my hoped for marathon pace. Was pleased as I felt like I had more in me although definitely need more work on both speed and endurance. This weekend was going to be my first 20 miler, still unsure whether to go for it or cut back to 18 so as not to have to big a jump..
  • Well done on the PB, Nicole, always a great feeling image Sat watching the race and replay of opening ceremony for quite some time.

If you have had injury niggles and a race yesterday, I would say there is no rush to be whacking up the miles, we still have eight weeks of training.

• bobdidmadrid wrote (see)

Hi Lucky, Expo is open on the Saturday too I believe. 

Is 9 min miles your planned race pace? !

Hello yes this is my planned speed - up to 15 miles this week, don't want to rush up the distance and be super slow. Feel like a proper newbee at this marathon lark! Also turns out my easyjet flight doesn't get in until the Sat night so have emailed the organisers about collecting my race pack. Trying to persuade my husband to do the 10k, anyone know if it is any good? They start on the other side of the bridge to us don't they?

• Just found this thread. I'm seriously considering doing this mara, the comments on here look great. It's just a slight pain to get to (from NE). 

• We're going from the NE Lumbering Ox, as stated above it's either train to Gatwick and a direct flight or flight from Newcastle to Alicante and then train to Valencia. We thought it might be easier going to Gatwick than getting transport from Alicante Airport to Alicante station and then buying tickets.

Soon be time to choose a post run drinking venue, where is everyone staying when they are there?

• I'm in Hotel Sorolla Central, in the city centre, which is right next to Metro so easy to get around image
  • Hi Lucky, I am also up to 15 miles. Looking to get my first 20 in soon as I think running 4 of those before the Madrid Marathon certainly helped. I will be 9 minute miling and hopefully going under 4 hours ( don't care how much under - 1 second will do!). Did 4:07:49 in Madrid but it was very hilly - looking forward to a nice flat course. My daughter is running the 10k.

Mentioned to Nicole on another thread that there is a nice feature on the Valencia site where the have a weekly report of 6 runners preparing to race (10-15 minute video).

Staying at the Hotel Primus, very close to start/finish.

• Last year we met outside Finnigans which was ideal for catching the afternoon sunshine and location was lively.

• I'll probably be sorting accommodation through airbnb. Am doing the weekend on me tod though so will very much be up for a drink somewhere afterwards!

• tmbrntt, personally I cannot sing the praises highly enough of the old town area. More bars and eating places than you could ever do justice to all with a fantastic Spanish vibe. Each year i have setoff from our accommodation on Sunday towards the start and ended sharing a taxi with other runners.

• It's my birthday the day before the marathon - obv won't be able to celebrate properly then so hopefully a double celebration afterwards! image
  • @JakeUK - Jolly good, will start my search there!

My attention has been momentarily averted to the Bristol Half Marathon next weekend, where I'm attempting to beat last year's PB of 1.39 (given that I ran a 1.42 half marathon as part of a 16 miler a few weeks back, I'm optimistic), so my running this week has mainly focused on that, albeit with a very hilly 15 miler planned for the weekend at what can only be described as a "chilled out" pace...

• Does anyone know what time the expo is open until on the Saturday evening?

• 8pm their time I believe Ox.

• Hola Valencianos!  It is good to find some bretheren running this race, I entered a while ago and didn't know about this thread so good to know I am not the only one going out from these shores.  Training has gone ok insofar as I am not injured but haven't really pushed it yet in terms of speed, volume or distance!  Tomorrow will be my longest run of the training so far with about 15 miles planned, hopefully at 8:30 pace.  I have run 2 marathons before both on the 4hr mark, one just under one just over so I am hoping to take 15 minutes out of that this time by just running a little more aggressively - not with my fellow runners I hasten to add.  Just with the course and pacing strategy.  By the way does anybody else get complete radio silence from the organisers?  Since I entered they never email updates or anything; I have checked and I am officially entered but unlike other marathons I have done they are not big on keeping in touch.  

• Hi Will. Haven't had anything from them since registration. What distance are you going up to in training? I'm hoping to do 4x 20 miles with the first one this week.