Valencia Marathon 2014

Comments

• I just had an email a while back checking that I had ordered the correct T shirt size and specifying the exact dimensions! .)
  • Oh yes! Forgot that one. How's the legs today Nicole? Trying to work out a route for my 20 that isn't too hilly or too boring! I really struggle if I just try and run aimlessly for 20 miles, usually get to about 12 and give up. I sometimes plan it so I pass by home at around 10-12 miles to pick up supplies but that puts the temptation of stopping in the way. Think I'll run out for 10 then there is no choice but to run the other 10 home! Better go and buy a belt as I threw the other one away somewhere in SW Madrid at 20 miles in April! I am so envious of you having done your's yesterday!

• Bob, I was in agony yesterday attempting to go up to London for an eve with friends, walking down stairs at the Tube and even attempting to walk half a mile and my muscles were screaming in protest image However a couple of cocktails seemed to ease the pain a bit and this morning a lot better though still sore. Will have to get on the ice and foam rolling later though as have another tough week ahead. Supposed to be a recovery week but 45 miles which is another new record, and lots of speed work within that :0

Hope your 20 goes well, I'm sure you'll do great! Just try to think calm

and positive thoughts - I'd worked myself into a right state worrying about yesterday's one! Just take it easy like I did, you'll feel so much better once it's done!

Re the route I'm afraid I just stick to the tried and tested although feel like I need to shake things up a bit as it does get a bit boring image
  • Hi there, well I got the 15 miler done down by the sea in Brighton; nice and flat and pretty warm so probably a reasonable simulation of Valencia in November.  Ran in 2:08 so just a little over 8:30 minute milling.  That is a pace I would like to run in the marathon but another 11 miles at that speed seems quite remote at the moment.  Finished today weaving around motorbikes and thousands of their riders as some kind of motorbike convention hit Brighton.  Contributed to a slow last mile but needed to make sure the garmin ticked over to 15 miles for that sense of achieving the goal image

• My first 20 miler done today too. Would like to get at least 2 more of those in before the race if I can fit them around other races. Redcar Half in two weeks if anyone needs a flat but coastal (i.e. windy) half to test themselves on.

We are staying in the Ad Hoc hotel in the old town, Appropriate given the nature of my training me thinks.

Finnegans sounds like a good shout. Some people get a bit sniffy about going to an Irish Bar on these occasions when there are always good Spanish Bars in the area but I have found that the Irish bars are normally that bit bigger and more conducive to group meetings.

Edit, just googled the pub. Right near the Cathedral and a free pint if you 'become their friend'!http://www.finnegansofdublin.es

• Another late comer to this thread,  hello all. @trmbntt did you get anything booked in the old town or can anyone recommend somewhere preferably in the old town please? I entered a few months back but just booking flights and accommodation now. Will be travelling solo from Gatwick. Looking to book up today. 

• Did first 20 miler today. 9:43 average pace which I was very happy with as it included 200 metres of elevation gain.

• Brilliant work, well done Bob!image
  • Well done Bob, that's good going already. I am planning to do a couple of twenty milers between now and race day, first one in about a fortnight. I assume you're running around Madrid from your name? Five a side Footie for me tonight which does get in way of training a bit but a good laugh doing it
  • Thanks Nicole and Will. 

No Will the name is a result of completing the Madrid Marathon in April (I was 'Madrid Here I Come' previously).  Would love to live in Madrid and may well do one day. Might also have a look at the property around Valencia whilst there - go 20km inland and there are some amazing deals. 

• Seems like everyone is ticking along nicely image

Agree about Madrid, bob. We were there two nights in April and absolutely loved the city. Valencia remains my favourite of Barcelona/ Madrid/ Valencia though.

Did my second track session today, 200m fast, 100m recovery, phew it's tough this speed work stuff!

In Valencia we have stayed twice in apartments in the old town, there are some amazing deals and you get to stay in some amazing quirky old properties if that is your thing, although lack of a lift on post race Monday is entertaining!

• Madrid is on my radar. I've done Seville, Malaga and Barcelona in the past 18 months, loved all of them. The apartments idea was suggested by friends too but obviously more cost effective if not travelling solo. I've looked at yours Nicole, a very good contender. 

Sounds as though training is going well and you're all going for superfast times?? image

• Did a nice, hilly 16 miler at the weekend at around 8.30 min/miles (far hillier than it looks like Valencia will be, but good to get some different training in) - not looking to push the pace though as the Bristol half is this weekend and I'm cheekily trying to beat my PB from last year (even if it's only by a few seconds), so chasing around 1.38. After that though I'm fully focusing on Valencia, so far the peak run has been 19 miles in 8 min/miles.

As this is my third marathon and my powers of recovery seem to be in decent order, I'm hoping to get up to 23 miles a few weeks before, and start tapering down from there. I'm not following a strict training schedule (for the first time), instead trying to build up my long runs on a fortnightly basis and approach each week one week at a time, as it were. So far it's working, curious to see what happens on race day though...

• 3:59:59 will do me Tiddy! 

Madrid is truly amazing. If I'd gone there when I was 25, I'd never have come back. 

• Hill reps this morning (normally Wed) but a friend wanted to do a short steep one. Longer hill reps tomorrow, glutton for punishment. Yet to train for a sub 4 Bob, happy to stay around 4:45-5:00 until the volume of longer runs decreases by this time next year.

Madrid is a definite maybe if I don't get into London, but very much looking forward to seeing Valencia for the first time. 

• Hi tmbrntt, what are your previous marathon times and what are you aiming for this time? We have a similar half marathonPB but I have not really been able to translate that into a fast marathon time yet as both marathons I have ran at around the four hour mark. Rest day for me today after yesterday's heavy legged 6 miller and hopefully I will get to intervals tomorrow.
  • Does anyone know whether we need a medical form signed by a doctor to take to Valencia Expo? I know it's compulsory for Paris Marathon but no idea about Spain? image
  • Didn't need one for Madrid Nicole and I'm sure it would have mentioned it on the entry form. Tried to run yesterday but my legs just didn't want to know! However just been for a steady 10 miles. Definitely going to concentrate on more miles and less speed work this time. Will still do tempo runs but the shorter interval training I'm going to leave out as I don't think it helped greatly whereas an extra 10 miles or so each week will hopefully strengthen me endurance wise. After all I just want to run at 9 min miles. I know I can do that, just need to ensure I can do it for 26 miles!

• Definitely no document from the doc required for Valencia image

• Will run for food - my first marathon was 4.21, but that was quite a few years ago before I had really properly gotten my times down, and Paris this year was 4.01, however I was hit by a bicycle a few days before so was pretty impeded; I had been on track for 3.40 in my training though, and I'm hoping for a similar time in Valencia!

• How has the weekend training gone folks? Decent park run for me on Saturday, speed heading back in the right direction and also a 22 miler in the bank on Sunday so waking my endurance up.

Not long to go folks.

• Well done! The week felt tough for me but took an extra rest day and then managed 16 miles yesterday with 12 at planned marathon pace (8m45s/mile) so was pleased with that! Got my second 20 miler planned this Friday and can't decide how to pace it at the moment. My first one I did as a LSR (9m54/mile) just concentrating on conquering the distance. Wonder whether to do something like 10 at 9m30/mile and 10 at marathonish pace (8m45-9m/mile)?

• Ran the Bristol Half in a PB 1.35, which I was pretty happy with. Felt more or less fine at the end; have Cardiff in two weeks time which I'll be running at my target marathon pace, so hopefully around 1.45. The logic there is I'm hoping to finish and think "ooh I could do that all again..."

• Ran the Bristol Half in a PB 1.35, which I was pretty happy with. Felt more or less fine at the end; have Cardiff in two weeks time which I'll be running at my target marathon pace, so hopefully around 1.45. The logic there is I'm hoping to finish and think "ooh I could do that all again..."

• "pretty happy with"...I would be dancing in the streets with a HM time of 1:35!

Great effort...I'm definitely in the 'sweepers' category of this thread image

Watched "Spirit of the Marathon" yesterday, great film for anyone who hasn't seen it.