Valencia Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi everyone, in the peak of my training now, PB'd at the vale of York half 2 weeks ago, & running Chester in 2 weeks as a training run with the last 13 @ target pace for the big day in Nov.

just booked flights for Seville Marathon in Feb too, not entered the race yet as the website is all in Spanish with no option to change language like I did when I entered Valencia! 

• Hello All - just dropping in. Did this last year and then spent the afternoon at the pub with last year's thread. It's a great course for a PB - I ran my PB- which I have used as a qualifying time to get me into Boston 2015. JakeUK is back for his 3rd year, he can't get enough!. I'll come back at some point. It's a cheap and easy city to navigate. Good atmosphere for the race. Top tip - if you stay in the Expo Hotel and you like a porridge pot on the morning of your run - take a travel kettle!

Hope you are well Jake image

• Hi The Jimbob, good to hear from you. Is there a Boston thread? Would like to follow and see how you get on in this most historic race, not one i am likely to be qualified for anytime soon!

My year has been one of trail running and Ultras, did my first 50 and 100 milers this year but need my Valencia fix image

• Ignore the Q about Boston thread, found it (doh).

• Jimbob

Boston is an awesome race. THe most fantastic atmosphere I have ever experienced at a marathon. Obviously made all the more poignant given the events of 2013. I did a report for my running club here if it is of interest.

http://www.new-marske-harriers.co.uk/index.php/road-running/road-reports?start=10

• Doing Boston would be my dream -I need to get sub 3h 55 so need to find 12 minutes on my VLM time of 4:07! image
  • Sounds like everyone's training is on target, yay. I ran 17 miles on Sunday and for the first time felt a confident feeling that, yes, this is going to happen. Wheels came off a bit in the last 3 miles but we've got time to sort this. I want to do all my long runs at race pace to get used to it and sharpen up. I know that's not the conventional wisdom but I figure at my pace (8:40 miling or so) I don't need to hold back or save it for race day and I am (factoring in a 2 or 3 week taper. Que sera sera (as they probably don't say in Valencia) B-)
  • PC - great piece, cheers I will pay heed to that. You had a tough finish and still brought it home in a great time.

Jake when last we met you were talking about your ultrarunning - glad that's going well.

Nicole - Valencia is a faster course than London - it's not so congested, I had a good race. The pressure was off my Boston hopes as I had a BQ about 6 weeks before at Berlin so I just went out around pb pace and see what happened, at 39k I was passing loads of people and had a strong finish. You never know, you could crack the BQ this time, although you would more likely need a 3.53 to get in as its so popular these days. Just keep chipping away at the PB and it will come.

• Did this 2013 good mix of Coast and City...amazing finish bouncing on the floating surface on the water...crown support excellent....signs to the start pens would of been welcomed...bit chaotic...don't forget your safety pins that are given out in a different area from Chip collection area!! PB possible....! take a kettle and a plastic coffee cone and filters with you...then you can have fresh coffee in the morning without walking the streets...!! the hotel across from expo had nowt..!
  • Way behind you guys in training due to injury. Done a 15m this week so just hoping to get 1 20 miler and a few 18 ish. I'll be traveling in on the day from Benidorm
  • Jimbob - thanks for the info! Yes not sure whether I can quite manage the BQ this time but if I can at least break 4 hours, then hopefully next time! But am still going to give it my best shot, sounds like it's not going to come much easier than the Valencia course image I know I lost quite a bit of time in London as I started in a slower pen and it was SO congested at times...then I ended up running nearly a mile further trying to weave in and out to keep up my pace- couldn't even see the blue line haha....

Hi Degsy, don't worry, you'll be fine especially if you manage to get in at least one 20, still 4 weeks of good training (assuming a 3 week taper)

Did my second 20 miler yesterday and was fairly pleased with it. My first one I did as a LSR as per my training programme (P & D) and also was bumping up from 15 miles so just trying to get through it! That one worked out at 3h18 or 9m53 pace/mile. Yesterday I was pretty confused as to how to pace - whether to stick to LSR again as suggested or step up a bit to give me more confidence? Had a vague idea of doing first 10 miles at 9m15 then trying for MP (8m45) last 10 miles.

unfortunately my plans were scuppered somewhat by my running app going crazy (I blame the latest Apple update!) and constantly claiming I was doing 6 min miles, and running much further than I had. Luckily I had my Garmin and managed to pace first 10 miles bang on at 9m15, but then my head could no longer handle the maths (I have quite an old Garmin which doesn't do average pace and current pace was jumping a lot due to quite hilly course (unfortunately unavoidable where I live) so I couldn't get a handle on it. Was also struggling with high humidity and said hills so just kind of went with it in the end. Ended up doing the 20 in 3h6m or 9m19 pace. So a good improvement on last time though I know I need to go comfortably under 3 hrs in the real thing! Am hoping I'll find Valencia a lot easier with the flat course - am conscious of having to work a lot harder on hilly bits, and can see the effect on my heart rate too.  Have one more 20 planned just before taper so hopefully the improvements will continue!

I am quite grateful for the continued warm weather here in Blighty as it should help with acclimatisation for Spain - was worried that it would be freezing here and I'd have to start running in thick layers and a woolly hat just so the Valencia temps wouldn't be too much of a shock image

• Knee wasn't quite right yesterday so decided to take a rest day instead of my 17 miler; ran in this morning (9 miles) and was more or less okay again, though I've now just gone out and replaced my running shoes as they really were worn out (now on to my fourth pair of Asics GT1000's).

Few long-ish runs this week, with a hilly 12 miler tomorrow night and then the Cardiff Half on Sunday, which unlike Bristol last Sunday - where I was going for a PB - I'm aiming to run steady 8 min miles, perhaps with a cheeky 2-3 mile warm up run beforehand as well; very much using it as a warm up for Valencia. From Cardiff I shall build my long runs back up; am aiming to do at least two that get over the 35km mark, where I've had problems in the past...

Like you though Nicole, I'm grateful for the continued warm weather! Was really apprehensive about running in Valencia in November having trained in the cold of Blighty, but with each week of decent weather it'll be that bit less of a shock...

• Did the Redcar half on Sunday in 1:27. Kind of a B- C+ performance but reflects the amount of training Ive been doing. Ramping up the miles in October before tapering in November and hoping that will be enough to help me regain some form. That being said, I'm going to make my debut at cross country at the weekend to try and inject some pace into my legs. We'll see how that goes.

Only about 6 weeks to go now folks, the excitement is building.

• PCleasby - wow! 1:27 would be a stratospheric performace for me, well done image

I signed up to do Valencia with a friend, but she has not been able to train properly due to lots of back problems and thus can no longer do the marathon.  However, there seems to be a 10k option on the website but I can't really find any info about it? Does anyone know more?  eg timings, route, etc? It would be great if she could come out and do that at least to alleviate some of her disappointment!

• Hi Nicole, my daughter is doing the 10k. Starts with the marathon I believe and follows the same course for about 5k. Doesn't venture up to the old town as we do.

• That's great Bob, I'll let her know image
  • Chester metric marathon for me on Sunday following a week of no running due to injury ????
  • Good weekend all? I had to end my LSR a bit early to fit in with others which meant doing 18 not 20. Bit disappointed not to make that all important milestone with the weeks ticking down. Hopefully those 2 miles won't prove to be significant in the race itself :-/
  • Well done, Will Run, I'm sure you'll be fine- maybe try the 20 again in 2 or 3 weeks before taper?

Frustrating times for me, after last week's 20 was out all week with toe infection (thanks to running with massive blisters!). Managed a decent 17 miler on Sat (9m15/mile pace) but several hours after developed a problem with opposite ankle/foot - it feels painful when I bear weight on it. So having to skip today's run and not sure how this week's training will pan out either image Have Royal Parks Half on Sun too! Just finding this round of marathon training so tricky compared to VLM this year. Going from one injury to the next and missing training then having to play catch up!

A question for those who have done Valencia before - are headphones allowed? Not sure I'll be able to cope without my music! image
  • I think the extra 2 miles is more of a psychological benefit than fitness Will. 

Completed my 20 yesterday in 3:07 (9:22). Was pleased with that as it indicates that on a flat course under race conditions I can reach the 20 mile mark in 3 hours. That would give me  an hour to complete the last 10k which I managed in Madrid where there are significant uphill stretches in miles 20-25.

• Did the Cardiff half at the weekend slightly faster than goal marathon pace (about 7.50s whereas I'm hoping for 8 min miles, and then a 6.40 final mile) and felt comfortable. Will build the long runs back up over the next four weekends before tapering off for a couple of weeks!

• Won't be seeing much of you on the course then tmbrntt! Make sure you leave some of the free beer for me.

• Ha bobdidmadrid! Oh don't worry, I usually falter after 35k...

On a separate note, anyone who's done the race before, do you know if there are any mile markers, or is it all just KMs?

• All the European ones just have km markers. Apart from at 13.1 miles image

• Cheers PCleasby - I vaguely remember Paris having a few random ones thrown in, but that was a surprise. Just means I know to think of things in KM over the next few weeks, not miles image

I'm happy enough with that, multiplying 5 minute kilometres is easier for a dummy like me than 8 minute miles!

• You're lucky you're not doing 9:07 miles. Think of the challenge that will present me. Dread to think what that is in minutes per km!

• Yes good point I need to start pacing in k's. One temptation I will try and resist in the race is checking my watch every k. It takes the fun out of running so I will keep it to 5k splits. It has been a week of progress and setbacks. Progress is that I have finally booked a hotel. Down by the beach which is exciting. Setback is that I have picked up a virus and been been unable to run this week. I am hoping that the enforced rest will at least give my weary legs a chance to recover before picking it up again soon. Every cloud silver lining and that