Valencia Marathon 2014

Comments

• PCleasby - I haven't heard anything about a breakfast run sadly. Not sure if it's a big enough marathon to warrant an official one? (ditto #2)

I can definitely help you with 3 though - very much so. I'm in town on me tod so a few beers afterwards would be terrific.

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Bob good stuff on completing final 20 miler - still complete my first 20 miler ... might throw one in next week image .... my gut feeling is that 20 milers are over rated as the chances of niggles as so high. We'll see if the unorthodox strategy works this time.....  managed a double today of 10km at MP and 8km at a very steady recovery pace..... seemed to work well.

HM on Sunday to run at MP with a couple miles warm up and another couple warm down if the legs will allow it....

Then with a solitary 20 miler chucked in next week before a 2 week taper I think it could work....   

Beers or Rioja will definitely be consumed post race. We have a boat in the harbour so planning to sit out on deck and chill image .... 

• How did everyone do at the weekend? Had my final long run, in the end did do 37.4km and didn't have to stop once (on a canal towpath so no hiding place) and pretty much at the pace I want to do Valencia at (8 min miles)! Felt like I could have continued but probably not gone much faster, so will focus on 3.30.

• That's great tmbrntt - awesome pace!

I managed to do my last 20 miler - on an AlterG treadmill! Haven't been able to run at all for last 2 weeks due to injury (peroneal tendinitis) and have been swimming and cycling to try to keep fitness up. But was really losing confidence, then found out about the AlterG which actually adjusts gravity so you train at a lower % of your bodyweight. It was a lifesaver, obviously not as good as running 20 miles normally, but I amped up the speed to try to mimic a similar effort. The DOMS I'm still feeling today says I did a good job image

Even better I managed my first actual run outside today, just a slow 6 mile recovery run but felt so good to be able to do this, and neither session has aggravated the injury, so I think I'm nearly there!

It does put me in a weird situation where instead of tapering I'm working my way back into it, but let's see how it goes image

Must admit I'm feeling a bit concerned though about the total lack of communication from Valencia race organisers - has anyone else heard anything? ????
  • Nicole - no, I've barely heard a peep!

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Its Spain remember - manjana ... you'll hear from the organisers the day after the race image ... what do you want to know? .... TUrn up the day before the race get your number, eat some Paella if you want (going to avoid for sure) and turn up on the day....

Did a couple mile WU - a 1:29 Half Marathon at Worksop - (Marathon Pace) ... then a 3 mile warm down to bulk up the run to 18.5 miles .... planning another 20 miler on Thurs .... has given me some confidence but didn't feel massively comfortable at 1:29 pace .... (was hilly and windy mind .... with a 90+km week too) ...

Going to try and lose 1.5kg - 2kg over next 2 weeks too which should help a fair bit. 

tm come on you can lower your target for sure - at least go for 3:25 ... but I think you have close to or sub 3:20 in there for sure....  image

• Sounds like everyone is on track!

23 for me yesterday, no taper till next Sunday though where ill do 18.

16 in the morning with the last 5 under mara pace hopefully, then a big track session on Thursday. 

Starting to get very excited, bring it on! 

• Anyone else flying into Alicante? 

• Banksy - I think it may well be a call I make when I get there and see just how much warmer it is than the UK! I may well start at sub 4.50/km pace and just see how it goes. 1.29 for a half is pretty impressive with a 90km week behind you!!

Stephen - not me, I'm flying in to Valencia (fortunately can get a flight from/to Stansted which is fairly easy for me to get to!)

• 22miles for me today after a pretty disappointing 10 mile race performance on Sunday. That's my last long run done though. Could do with sharpening up somewhat in the next 3 weeks.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of communication from Valencia. Just turn up at the expo with your confirmation email and you'll get your number and chip. Hey presto!
  • Pcleasby - workout #4 on this article (http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/combo-track-workouts) on a parish not far removed from this one might be of interest. It's helped me before races before!

• Have read reports from last years race where people had got to the expo & there was only large size t shirts left.

dont think ill make it there till 4 at the earliest on the sat.  Land 11am alicante. 

So hoping there'll be some mediums left!! 

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Also went back tot he 2013 thread - some really positive stuff about the race. Pan , flat hopefully ideal temperature and free beer at the end!

Some ppl did meet up in the Irish bar in town afterwards for a few too....

Managed to get another 13 miles in yesterday (a cheeky double) with a MP session in the middle. Going for 7 or 8 today and the first and last 20 miler tomorrow image .... all about the cramming....

Hoping the hills of Sheffield will have built an extra bit of reserve strength.

If the 20 tomorrow goes well - I'll be feeling pretty confident about a sub 3 being possible if everything lines up on the day image

The 10% rule went out the window completely increasing mileage from 30 to 55 miles last week image ... aiming for 50 this week and then a taper of 30 and 15 (+26.2 on the sunday hehe) .... getting excited

• I just got struck with the dreaded plantar fasciitis, first time ever, with less than three weeks to go to the marathon. That follows a couple of weeks of not running due to a virus. My participation is now at risk I fear but will see how this goes. Never having had PF before I don't really know what to expect but I think it could stick around. Fingers crossed it will shift as quick as it arrived
  • That is very unfortunate Will. Hope it clears up quickly for you.

Banksy, what sort of race tactics do you employ? When I did Madrid it was more or less decided for me as the first 5k was uphill as was 5 of the last 6 miles. I had no real alternative but to go off quite slowly (9.20-9.30) for first 4 miles, picked it up (8.50-9.05) for next 15 miles and then held on for a fairly testing last 6-7 miles. It was probably close to the perfect race for me. However, this time I won't have to save quite as much for the last 10 k and won't need to go off so conservatively. Added to which I am half a stone lighter and at least as well prepared. Confident I can average 9.00 min miles over 26.2 but how to do it is the tricky decision I am faced with - as are we all of course, regardless of ability. Would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

• I know it goes agains perceived wisdom Bob but I'd be tempted to bank a small amount of time. Your training has gone well and you are lighter so frankly you are in the best shape you can be in. I read a fantastic blog on a chap going sub 3 and his sound advice was one word 'patience'. There was also a second piece of advice 'don't be a d*ck". It boiled down to this, you have prepared for the race for months, you've got yourself in shape don't set off too fast and in those parts of the race where you feel great don't speed up just remain patient in order to hit your goal.

9 min miles gets you in on exactly 4 hours. That would make me worry the whole race in case there was some fade at the end..8.50 - 8.55 might give you a comfortable cushion as you'd go through half way in 1:58 and know you could spread those banked 2 mins over the next 13 miles, thereafter every mile you hit at 9mins or below you've still got that cushion. Just don't speed up to 8.45s (there'll be other marathons for that)

• Thanks for that PC, sounds like a strategy that I could feasibly take on board. I know that a 1:58 half can be achieved very comfortably, particularly with the benefits of taper, running with others, adrenalin etc. 

As you say, if I could then maintain that for a few more miles, then not only is the cushion increasing but also the distance over which it can be spread decreases. It would also give me the option of speeding up towards the end if my fitness is even better than I perceive. I must say, the best of my 20 mile runs was the one run with a negative split.

Thanks again - it all makes sense when somebody else lays it out for you!

• Will, so sorry to hear about the PF, fingers crossed it will ease up very soon. I know exactly where you're coming from as I've been struggling with injuries these last few weeks and haven't been able to run at all the last 2. Had serious doubts myself last week as to whether I could actually do this. However it seems that I've turned a bit of a corner now. Managed a 6 mile recovery run on Mon without incident (been suffering from peroneal tendinitis) and today another 6 with 4 at MP. Am gearing up for a 16 miler on Fri which I'll take at an easy pace. If I can get through that then I think it's on! image

Bob, I have even more questions about pace. Originally had planned to do 8m45 MP but after the last few weeks there's no way. Therefore I think at the moment I'll start off and try to keep consistently just under 9m pace (8m50 -9m) and just try to hang on! Who knows how it'll hold up but let's see. If I can get a sub 4 I will be over the moon image Do you fancy trying to pace each other for the early miles at least? image
  • Would be silly not to! With the similarity in our performances I think it would happen un planned in any case. As I said to PC, going off at 8.50-8.55 seems like the best way to go for me. I know, or at least I think I do, that I would not maintain 8:45 much beyond half way and I think it would be a downward spiral from then on in. However, if I go off relatively steady (and I think for me there is a big difference between 8:45 and 8:55) I might just have some extra to give over the last couple of miles. Anything under 4 would please me greatly.

Have enjoyed my week in Portugal and done some very useful miles in 24C + heat. Have looked at forecasts for Valencia two weeks hence and it will hopefully have dropped to 18 max.

Good luck on Friday. Let us know how it goes.

• Thanks Bob, sounds like a plan! Glad you enjoyed your holiday, thankfully it's warmed up again here so at least hopefully not too much of a climate shock! image
  • Sorry to hear about the PF, Will. a friend once said to me the biggest battle is getting to the start in one piece, hope you get there, there is a beer at the finish line.

Just skimmed through the posts I missed for a few weeks, my two pennarth on the pace groups for the race. Last year I wanted to be sub 4:30, I tried to keep 4:30 pacers in sight and passed them quite easily without meaning to. Later in the race maybe mile 20, not sure, I was tiring and the 4:30 pacers came past me. I then clung onto the small group following the pacers until around 25 miles when I couldn't keep with them anymore. My watch seemed to indicate it was borderline, eventually passing the line in 4:24. The 4:30 pacers obviously well inside the 4:30.

• That's interesting, Jake. Any idea what other pacing groups there are? image

• I know for sure in previous years there has been 4:00, 4:15, 4:30.

Really not sure about other intervals as these are the only ones I have ever tried to be around.

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

Even pacing is the Golden aim ... And banking some time in first half does make sense as its rare not to have some drift in the latter stages..... and if you don't then you have to question whether you went off too conservatively.... The first half should feel relaxed.... and then it should start to get really tough around the 20 mile mark... they do say the half way mark is at 20 miles (its where the marathon really begins hehe) .... in theory the long run training is all about getting through the last 6 miles... have you done any Marathon pace runs?

I personally am going to aim for 4:10, 4:11 km splits for the first half which will take me through half way in 1:28:30 ..... then am expecting the splits to drift to 4:20km for the latter stages and a couple of 4:30s on the end ... this gets me in just under 3 hours if it goes to plan image .... no margin for error hehe......   My new Boston Boost 5s are an amazing training shoe by the way for anyone considering a new shoe that staves off the niggles.

Will be interesting to see how the 20 miler goes tomorrow with heavyish legs...

For Planta - do some self massage n the foot - get a golf ball under your desk at work and roll the area gently etc - ice etc - all the usual stuff....

• Thanks Banksy. Have trained for 9 minute pace and have done lots of my training at that pace and quicker. Quickest 20 miler was at average 9.14 pace. With taper, flat course and race conditions feel average of 9.00 is definitely on. However, as you say, got to allow for possible fade and therefore PC's advice of going off at 8:50 seems sound. That should be good to bank a few minutes without overdoing it. We shall see!

• My plan is to try and keep it as even as possible. In halves and training runs my pacing has usually been fairly metronomic; I think on the day I'll start at 4.50-4.55 minute kms and see how it goes. I will almost certainly fade towards the end but I think that will happen whether I run 4.50 or 5.00 minute kms to be honest.

Also, in the past I've broken up marathons into chunks, however what has worked best for me on long runs and in the halves I've done this year has been to break it down by the kilometre; as my ultimate goal is 5 minute kilometres, it's a fairly easy goal to keep to mentally (e.g. not needing to work out 27 x 4.20 two thirds of the way round), and I find the race goes by much quicker that way.

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

working things out in 5km chunks makes sense as more than likely there will be timing mats at these points? Come on Tm ...time to ramp up to 4:40 image

Managed to squeeze in a Hilly Offroad 19 today to take the total in the last 10 days to just shy of 100 miles! ...Proper cramming, and no niggles -can't believe it. I put it all down to the Boston Boost 5s can't fault them so far.....

The sub 3 could be on image

• Have you gone sub 3 before Banksy? I've managed it twice and both times I've banked a little time in the first half and ran even goal pace splits in the second, meaning the time I banked was still there at the end.

For Valencia I'm not in sub 3 shape and I fear that if I attempt it I'll spoil the run. Still haven't entirely ruled it out though. My running buddy is also going for the sub 3 at Valencia so I hope the weather is kind and you both smash it.

Beers in the Irish bar on Sunday afternoon whatever the result!