Options

2015 London Marathon Ballot

Comments

• Options

So the ballot is a draw for regular-punter places right?

When do charity places become available for application?

• Options

Some already have them out now....have a look at some of the "bigger" charities pages and you'll see VLM in the list

• Options

I'd be happy to do a charity again, but I want a charity I can fundraise *with* people for.  I don't want to end up doing it by myself.  I want to raise money with people (it's easier, and you'll target more/get more). 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

How much do the charities get charged when they buy golden or silver bond places? And what's the difference?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Ok found out. Golden and silver bonds are block booking charities but for x number of runners per year. Golden is 1500 per year for 5 runners and runs a few years. It seems that they then judge each application according to how much cash you can bring in, whether you will look good on their publicity and flyers, how much money you will bring in, whether you ran for them before, how much money you will bring in, whether you have a decent back story and how much money you will bring in.

At which point  Lavinia, Tarquin , Ffion (call me Fi) and Penelope in the events team allocate places to their parents old school chums in the city and if there's anything left they might sling something your way, for, like,  you know 'charidee.' Yah, cool yah

Assuming of course  they remember their blackberries and aren't too coked out of their skulls at Henners, Hong Kong sevens and Cowes week

• Options

Was definitely midnight last year.  Not sure how much it was to enter in 2014 but I'm pretty sure it was £32 in 2013.  Maybe a bit more but certainly less than £35.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    The GFA times were changed this year and released sometime in May/June. The big charities ask you to apply then do their own smaller ballots. My charity had 20applicants for 3 places. I didn't get in but it's better than the 1:20 main ballot chance.

Yes, the ballot opens at midnight and filled up in 11 hours last year.
  • Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

I have been trying to fond this exact thing out, thanks guys image looks like I'll be having a late night tomorrow then image

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone 

• Options

If it gives you all a bit of hope my bro and I both applied for the ballot last year. He was successful first time so it does happen folks!

Good luck.

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

So exciting! It's the big day-ish. I've been carb loading and tapering. Might pop a few  gels before kickoff at midnight. Hey is the queue to the portaloo any smaller yet?

• Options

image I got a club place this year, and at first I thought I didn't want to do it again - the crowds were almost more than I could bear during the last 4 miles, they were all just screaming ...

... but then I thought about the first half of the race, and for me this was better - here were (I think) the locals ... people with music outside their homes, outside their pubs, and my favourite, two women - one banging a pan lid and the other was just dancing!! I'd do it again just to see them!! 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Yes the first half was good.

I can't remember the second half. According to my splits they weren't my finest three hours.
  • Options

attempting to enter the ballot after midnight .... last year i was working and it closed when i was home image i was most displeased,  i don't have the kind of job i can log at work and surf the web ... this year i do not start work until 12 noon ... there is a glimmer of hope of at least trying to get in lol 

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    TimR wrote (see)
    Yes the first half was good.

I can't remember the second half. According to my splits they weren't my finest three hours.

As long as you didn't jump the barrier after tower bridge  it's all goodimage

• Options
    How many tickets are there available in the ballot ?

Here cut off is 150.000 applicants !!
  • Options
    XcurlytwigX wrote (see)

i don't have the kind of job i can log at work and surf the web ... 

I do! lol.

• Options

I have entered the ballot 3 times and been unsuccessful each time.  I did secure  a gold bond charity place in 2011 and had to raise £1500.  Some charities like you to raise 1750, 1800 or 2-2.5k.  I am not certain on what time the ballot opens but it did close early last year once 125,000 entrants have registered.  I was at work and missed the opportunity. 

I think they need to open the ballot in June rather than a week or so after the event as may people who watch it will enter as they think "I can do that" which possibly they can but you can often get caught up in the spirit of it all and leaving it a couple of months might ease the amount of entrants.  I also think that you should have to prove that you have completed a half marathon before you can enter the ballot too.  Just sayin! I know this might upset some people but you have to be committed to 26.2 and it ain't no walk in the park!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I enterered the ballot last year following a rush of blood as described above. The impatient type I am, I then secured a charity place in June. I found a charity that required me to raise 1250. It seemed a breeze compared to some of the silly figures been suggested by the bigger charities.

I thought it opened at 9am?

• Options
    I thought midnight tonight?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nothing on website that indicates anything. 

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    The idea of the race is it's a 'race for all'. If you are a serious runner then you should train and get a good for age.

The ballot opens soon to capitalise on all those people who think "I can do that". It's not an ordinary marathon, I can tell you.

It stops at 150,000 in the ballot but only about a twentieth of those will get through, the rest of the 35,000 are charity, club, gold for age, overseas or defferals.

I'm going to have another go. I'll decide in October whether to pay my money and have another go.
  • Options
    legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

I'm almost certain it's midnight and thought there's usually so many people trying to ballot straight away, your often refreshing the site trying to get on for an hour or so. The last 3 unsuccesful years of balloting - I've just done it when I've got up (6-7am) and it's been fine.

Ended up getting a club place this year but due to being put in pen 9 which was completely ridiculous for the time I was going for, I didn't have the best run but it was still an awesome experience and I'm keen to try again so will be balloting for a 4th time.

I also agree with Sarah that there'd probably be a lot less applying if the ballot was in June rather than a week after. Not so sure about the half marathon proof though as a lot of people applying might be regular runners but just never entered a half before or have entered one which is after the ballot date.

Personally, I wouldn't go down the silver / gold minimum sponsorship route but I did raise nearly £1,000 without doing any events / cake sales etc so it can be done if you really want a place.

• Options

I've been told its 00:01 like a few have already posted. I ran it this year for charity, but applied last year (unsuccessfully) I remember it being around 10:30-11am when i put in for the ballot (closed at 11:20 apparently) So you should hopefully all have enough time...he says image Good Luck!

• Options

I ran for charity in 2013 after failing in the ballot again. Do they still do the thing of giving you an automatic spot if you have applied 5 times and not got in (or did I dream that?)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well I entered about 10am last year and got straight through. 

• Options

2nd yr I tried I got in, feel very lucky having read about people who have tried year after year and still no joy. However having just ran the 2014 VLM and hated virtually every minute, I have to question why I'm sat here waiting for the 2015 ballot to open.... 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I spoke to guy on way to start and he entered six times before he got in. 

I am just remembering the first 16 miles which were really enjoyable. 

• Options

Atom Ant - sadly I think that may have been dreamt up. Nice thought though. 

I entered about 9 am last year. Straight though with no delay.