A new Open Water swim season begins

Comments

• Very murky Soupy! I think we're slightly spoiled at Thorpe. Temperature wasn't okay but didn't have much time to acclimatise before the off. Felt quite good till I went around the second turn buoy - M shaped course - and started swimming head-on into people heading for the middle buoy intead of the end which threw me off completely. On the final leg the wind seemed to get gustier meaning I had to breathe to one side only which made me feel a bit dizzy.

It can only get better

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭
    Oh that sounds like the swim from hell. Well done for finishing.
  • Been in two lakes within Cotswold water park, one with membrship the other a secret lake owned by friends.

Both offer clear calm warmish water. No currents and one has marked buoys the other was more free range swimming.

Great to be back on openwater and no clorine stink, lane rage, breast stokers chatting three abreast or blck lines to follow - bliss image
    Love the phrase free range swimming image
  • Managed 400M in the pool without feeling like I was about to peg it. Which means that OW this year is in my sights. Soon as I can knock off a 1500 pool, will be down at Thorpe for a bit of duck shit soup.image

Sounds good dusty
  • Still being a mega wuss this season - although I've heard we're due a few days of good/warm weather towards the back end of this week, which means I might be tempted to find a lake to swim in soon! image

• Boundary Park was pretty good yesterday - water temp 15 degrees, so a bit chilly when we got in but soon warmed up.  Managed 2 loops of the 400m course, but still struggling with my front crawl, so mainly did breast stroke, which meant I was pretty slow and at times (when the wind was blowing in my face) felt like I was barely moving!

However, I did still enjoy the swim and had a fabulous home made flapjack with a nice cup of tea when I'd got out to warm up.

• LittleclownLittleclown ✭✭✭

Now is that Boundary WAS 15 degrees or that is what uswim/Dave said it was??? image had hoped to get there but with a slightly improved swim speed i got a much later wave at wilmslow tri so couldnt do them both... think i would have been drier in the lake tho and less mud!

• Derwent Water was 13.4 degrees on Saturday for my first outing.

I tried the neoprene swim socks for the first time and learnt a valuable lesson. They go under the wetsuit because if you put them on the outside you look as if you have the fattest calves ever when you get out as the water has nowhere to go!

• Littleclown - That's what Uswim/Dave said...............must admit, it didn't feel all that warm to start with!! image  I'm obviously just gullible.

• 10 degrees in our local wee loch just outside Glasgow (Bardowie)... brrrrrr!!!!image But a good wee 1st swim and the brain freeze left after about a minute...Sunday hopefully can swim a bit more!.. Off for a sunny bike ride now image

• For any central Midlands based; In previous seasons I have swam at Market Bosworth, I know a few other pirates do too, last season I found it to be really really weedy in places. I had a new venue recommended by a few tri types in the running club - The waterfront in Dosthill Tamworth, Session is ran by the BRAT club this is what I received when I enquired; I used it for the first time this week - good session.

2014 swim session times

Monday      6pm -8pm

Thursdays  6pm – 8pm

Saturdays   7am – 9am

A swim session is £4 which includes a free annual exit barrier gate pass, a hot drink, shower and changing facilities 

• I swam at Ragley Hall - Warwickshire yesterday - no idea of the temperature but didn't feel to bad but I was shivering and shaking loads due to nerves.

Just did the one loop as I wanted to leave on a high of swimming and not panicking/hyperventilating and having a hellish time like my one other open water swim.

I am going to back and swim again... I just wish that the water was slightly clearer.
  • Planning on going to Thorpe in the morning, hopefully arriving around 7ish.

That's if I manage to drag myself out of my pit when the alarm goes off!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I am planning on getting to Thorpe early, may have to forgo the post swim bacon butty as the weekend is jammed packed with things to do.

• TB was at Market Bosworth last night and it was quite weedy - but Tamworth is a bit far for me to go image was good to be back in the OW tho image

• It's been so warm lately, that Heron lake HAS to be warm on Sunday.

Going to Swanage in a week.  Does anyone know what it's like swimming in the sea there?  Is it safe?

• In the BlueIn the Blue ✭✭✭

I'll be at Thorpe tomorrow about 730.

• Im hoping that MB will be warm on Sunday too! Meant to be around 24 air temp so heres hoping image

• the usk tonight was 15 and much warmer than the taff was last week......

suppossed to be going swimming tomorrow in chepstow dive quarry. thats still 10 degrees

• FaithsDaddy...

Swanage has an excellent beach - sandy. Shallow for a long way out which does mean with a few days of warm sun it warms up nicely. Many a time over Whit weekend I have been swimming in the sea there without wetsuit.
    Omg Thorpe was just gawjus this morning and I could have stayed in all day. 17 I was Tod but felt very mild and loads swimming without wetties
  • Heron was also delightful, about 15 and pleased with 3K for my first lake swim of the year, I have been outdoors but don't think the lido counts. Got so excited I left my wetsuit behind to play on its own, what a chopper.

• 10 was cold this morning.............was amazing to swim with lots of bubbles coming up through the water.......and looking down and seeing divers way below you exploring......shame it was so cold

10! brrrrrrrrrrrrrr Trust Seren to bring us all back down to earth. image

• Seren - you is well 'ard, innit image

Have to agree Thorpe was fab this morning. Nice to see Heron's warming up too.

• Just been to Heron this morning.  Water was a bit nippy, but bearable.  Great to be back in OW.  Forgot how much better lake swimming feels than chasing the black line.

• Forget the 10degrees Seren... Look down and see divers!!! How deep and how clear was the water???

Swam at Ragley Hall building up my distance with no major panic attacks... Was a balmy 17. Coming close to saying I enjoyed it.

Taplow lake has opened up again. I went there last weekend and the lake has blue dye in it to help keep the weeds down. And they still have a bar on site. image