A new Open Water swim season begins

124»

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

10 was cold this morning.............was amazing to swim with lots of bubbles coming up through the water.......and looking down and seeing divers way below you exploring......shame it was so cold

Its the 10 degrees that puts me off, its only about 15 mins from mine, In need to HTFU.

• Had a splash around at Heron this morning and that's at a comfortable temperature too now image

• Finally plucked up the courage to do the 750m loop at Salford Quays last night.  Was pretty comfortable temp wise (around 15 degrees) but I had a few panicky moments when I could see bubbles coming up from the deep.............had to give myself a serious talking to.  It did however make me swim a bit quicker so I could get out!!!

Thankfully it wasn't just me, loads of other people said they freaked out a bit, but apparently it's the filters sending up bubbles.  In my head, there was something sinister down there coming to get me, which given that I'm a bit scared of deep water, didn't really help!

Still struggling with front crawl, so breast stroke all the way for me at the moment! image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Well done Beth. I did breaststroke to begin with, took me a lot of time and money to learne front crawl and its only this year that I've managed to feel comfortable with it in open water. Give it time  but burping  lakes are uncommon ! 

• Had my first outting at Pennington Flash this morning! Enjoyed most of it, looking forward to spending a bit more time in it b4 the big day in July! On another note! I'm not a strong swimmer and I find sighting quite difficult! But the bouys where very eazy to sight! Which has boostered my confidence.
  • Hi

Seren thanks for the chins up on Chepstow. I WAS planning to dive there, 10 degrees means a lot of wetsuit and a lot of lead. You can stuff swimming in it.

This morning I was aware that it was definitely not cycling weather, and knowing that Bristol Open Water is 2 degrees warmer than Cotswold, I chose the Cotswold lakes. For the scenery. And the fact that they said it was 18 degrees at 1m down. I suffer the cold and I can attest to the fact that it was lovely. No boots. No gloves. No under layers. 1 hat. No ice-cream head. And surprisingly, very little signs of incipient hypothermia (poor circulation, apparently). Swimming in the rain beats any other option of the tri-.
    Oh yes. Some folks were without wetsuit.

Went to Shepperton this morning - it was packed! Difficult to get clear water at times, especially round the buoys. But I had a lovely excuse to stop for a rest - a large family of geese with about 10 young ones swimming accross my path. Wondered what on earth the blur of brown was as I was swimming up to them. Very cute.

• Having enjoyed Lake 32 on Saturday, I went again today. This time in the spring sunshine. 2250m (3 laps). No problem with overcrowding where we live Soupy. In fact the greater challenge is sighting, because you can't follow anyone else if there's nobody within 200m.

But then again, open water swimming is all about the open-ness.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Am I being silly of not wanting to enter o/w swim tri's as I can't do fc? Are there lot of people doing f/c in these tri's?

• I suggest doing a triathlon using whatever stroke is good for you just so you can do the event. Once you know triathlons are for you, then it might be time to do some lessons then.
  • Loads of people swim crawl and some finish the swim in the top half.

I did my first few tris  doing breaststroke.  And there were always others. Just so long as you can make the cut-off  - but beware that in a pool swim you will risk kicking people coming up behind you (voice of experience speaking) so be prepared to keep saying sorry. Get entered and good luck.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Sorry, that was meant to say, do a lot of people do breast stroke in o/w tri's? I've done a tri and doing another one next weekend. Both have been pool swims. I guess donning on a wetsuit to me means I'd like to be doing f/c.
  • Went down to pennington flash this evening free coaching sessions with Paul Hawkins image did some drafting and sighting in a group today, training every Monday at 6 30 if anybody's local.

• I wouldn't say lots, but some for sure.
  • Am at Swanage now. Been doing a swim in the bay each morning. Boy it's cold out there.
  • Faithsdaddy, I'm only down the road in Corfe, have yet to get in the sea this year, normally swim Swanage and Studland Bay. Were you wearing a wettie? was planning on starting the ow this weekend, have to wait to one evening this week.

My first ow tri I did a mixture of f/c and breaststroke.  In fact I've done that on all of them until recently.  image

But I'm now, finally swimming f/c exclusively. image

• WP- was cold with one. Without would be unbearable. Am in Swanage bay from about 7:15 to 8 most mornings until Sunday. Have to try Studland.
  • In the BlueIn the Blue ✭✭✭

Anyone planning to go to Thorpe tomorrow?  I have the alarm clock set this time image and it's allegedly meant to be sunny first thing.......

• Apparently my wetsuit arrived today but I'm 10 miles away at work with a knackered shoulder

Doing these training sessions in Sandwell starting next week so I hope the shoulder gets better soon.

Apart from surfing badly a few times haven't swam outdoors since I was a teenager.

I hurt the email either falling off a scooter racing a 4 year old or showing off in the pool doing all the strokes (and maybe inventing one) with the same 4 year old so I can't even claim it's an over use injury caused by cheating and doing swim training.

I'll be at Thorpe tomorrow but not till after 8·30 pending errands