daft wheel question

Bit of advice needed this morning I had a punture and found a inch and a bit worth's of screw enbedded in my wheel it had gone straight through the tyre and into the inside of the wheel itself to a depth of about a cm

It's a straight punture into the wheel and not a crack or any visable damage other than a hole but should I get a new back wheel anyway? Basically will this effect the structual integertaly of the wheel?

Anyone had any experiance of anything like this?

Comments

• Jeez. Never heard of that before.

I'd keep an eye on it - is it worse than say a valve hole ?

Is replacing just the rim a possibility ?
  • No it's got enbedded straight into the main bit of the wheel hub. The wheel rim tape is going to have to be replaced because it went straight through that. If that helps visualise it.

Took a few photo's and sent them sarah earlier and asked her to stick them on facebook because I was right inpressed at how it stuck in there. imageimage

At the moment it looks ok but wondered if anyone had experance of this. If it does cause a problem sod's law say's it will be when it's most needed not to fail.

• Serious question (pun enjoyed but not intended): You're saying the rim was fully penetrated by the screw? As in, it went through the tyre first, then inner tube, rim tape and rim itself and came out the other side??

• Everything other than coming out the other side.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

It's probably ok to ride but if it's not the consequences might not be nice!  If it's a small puncture hole and central I might be tempted to put new rim tape on and ignore it, like Cougie says you have a valve hole after all.

• Make sure the surface of the rim is not affected by the screw, no raised bit of metal, I used to buy and fix up old bikes and have lightly sanded the inside of rims before where dodgy spokes and bad punctures caused problems, and I'd defo replace the rim tape too.

Perhaps take a screwdriver out with you next time image

• Cheers guys. I'll see how it goes. image