Options

New to it all. help needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Oops only just saw medics post give yourself 3-6months training. . End of June out the question then lol ..
  • Options
    Is it worth doing bike work as well or do you guys just run?
  • Options

about 16ish mins is a 5k but 30mins is a start lol 10kph is about 6mph so you run for 30 mins and you'll cover more than 5k

29th June is probably ok to do it for - 5k isnt really that far so u'd be fine

i personally dont bike, uses different muscles - dont know about medic

SNB

• Options

I cycle to work, but mainly for convenience rather than fitness. Can help with your thigh strength and if you are building fitness and want something to do that is a bit less stressful on your legs then yeah cycling can help.

But I train for races by running and not a lot else. However there are all round programs that can help like cross training and there are programs which put different sorts or runs into your training i.e. speed runs, fartlek, hill work.

But there's loads of info on them out there and you should be able to get a plan together that suits you.

• Options
    Great thanks! Just got back from the gym no luck with the shin pain after a small walk it came back so jumped straight off to avoid making it worse. I havnt done any running over easter so it's had about a week to get better and hasn't yet .. image sucks think I'll try see my Dr about it as personal trainer at gym hasn't a clue. He said having 3 days off would fix it..

Right well thanks alot guys and next time you hear from me hopefully will be signed up for a 5k charity run and ill be picking your minds even more image

Katie
  • Options

google 'Shin Splints' Katie

will give you some self treatment info until you see your physio or doc

SNB

• Options

tredmill running is absolutely horrible, so if you like that, youll love running outside.

i was a bit embarrassed at first but now im fine and dont even mind running on paths where i have to go over take walkers a lot. just listen to music and even wear sunglasses, it will make you feel more in your own world.

a c25k would probably suit you

• Options

Hi Katie, i was like you a little while ago, It was hard to start with and i can empathise with you regarding running outside. You do feel self concious the first few times. But i got over that by telling myself, that those who knew me wouldn't judge me for getting out and running ( i  was 3 1/2 stone overweight at this point) and those who don't know you, well who cares what they think.

You will find a lot of runners out there will give you a nod or a smile or a hello, we all started out beginners.

Both SNB and Medic have given the advice i would, i can't praise the Parkrun people enough. www.parkrun.org You should go along, i guarantee you will meet many people a the same running position as you and its a very friendly and encouraging atmosphere. Chances are you will end up with a few running buddies.

Sign up for the race for life 5k, i bet you will enjoy it, don't worry about time, just go out run, walk and have fun. 

You have the support of us on the runners world forums and there is always someone who will be able to answer any of your questions. look forward to hearing how your training is going.

• Options
    Thanks Emily I will try that image

And thankyou Stuart I wish I could tell myself stuff and listen to myself! But when it comes to things like that my paranoid head takes over lol image I'm going to try outside soon I promise lol iv found a nice trail I live on the river Severn so would be pretty amazing to run along the river one day image

Iv found a local charity 5k rrun for compton hospice it's called the colour blast image my 12 year old nephew is going to do it with me he plays football so will be easy for him but he's very supportive and won't run off and leave me lol!
  • Options

Excellent! First hurdle over come. Now get training!

• Options

That's great news Katie, Trail running is my preferred running, So much to see, once you do it once you will never return to a treadmill. When you get out on the trail you can tell your paranoid head what its missing if you go back on the treadmill.

Would love to run up the Severn, I'm sure there is a 10K along it at some point. 

When is your charity run? Keep us informed on how you are getting on, we are always here to help. 

• Options

How are your legs Katie?

managed to do some training so far this week?

SNB

• Options
    Hey thanks for asking no my right shin is still buggered I saw a Dr Who was actually quite arrogant and all he said my legs are just not used to it and to rest ..also asked for advice on controlling exercise hunger and weight etc and all he could say was healthy eating eat your breakfast. Really disappointed. I remember now why I don't ever go to gp lol.. just told me a bunch of stuff I already know it's driving me a bit nuts. I'm going to try my first run outdoors tonight! The hubby finishes work at 10 babies in bed. I'm going to pop my earphones in and give it ago in the dark haha. Might take the dog for company image

I'll let you know how that goes lol already dreading it but really want to be able to do it

image hope your well. Katie
  • Options

Hi Katie, well done on your efforts so far. I am older than you and have much more weight to lose but getting outside and running was the best thing I ever did. Used to use treadmills but now can't remember the last time I did. I run very early partly to fit it in with family commitments and partly out of embarrassment but now I don't care who sees me. I used c25k and found it brilliant and I built up and did London a few weeks ago (very slowly). But easily the best thing for my running was going to parkrun. Everyone is so supportive and friendly and it doesn't matter how fast or slow you are. give it a try- it's free so good value. imageGood luck and shout if I can be of any use.

• Options

The doc probably is right in a way but i hate they arrogant ones! ive got liver and bowel problems so im always at doctors trying new meds!

it does sound like shin splints from increasing a little too fast for your body to keep up so just take it easy image

as for controlling hunger - if you eat more protein it takes your body longer to break it down so you stay fuller for longer ... my favourite snack is a tin of tuna - keeps me going for hours!

SNB

• Options

How are things going Katie? some good news on the shin i hope

SNB

• Options
    Hey guys sorry not been on for a while been away to butlins with the kids and Lil one had a birthday..

Anyways update on my running..

Shin pain is constant can't get rid of it, on treadmill anyway buuuuut outside I don't get any shin pain what so ever! So yeah iv been running around the nature train few times a week now!!

Very impressed.. only thing is I don't think I'm going to manage the 5k race at the end of the month image I can run around the nature trail twice it takes me about 20 mins to do it .. its not that big but at the end of it i'm on the verge of collapsing lol! So how I will do a 5 k I don't know image

You were all Sooo right though about getting out there and doing it .. I have rabbits running by my feet the views are amazing to be honest the treadmill bores me now lol.

I havnt yet met a person though still dreading this.. I nearly went for a jog around the park yesterday. It's bigger then the nature trail.. and there will be people there to face my fear lol but it started raining so I stuck to the nature trail :/ silly really not sure why I worry so much.

So I thank you all so much!!!and I have some new news questions for you lol..

Controlling my speed so I Don't tire myself too quickly?

How can I do this? Iv seen watches but not in my price range :/

Also protein shakes? I drink diet whey protein but would I need to change this to help my running?

Thanks again look forward to hearing from you and hope your all well!!!
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

1: regarding speed a cheap gps watch or just a stopwatch and practise. Or a free app if you have a smartphone. Start off very slowly and speed up, it's all about not getting to excited, just make sure you can breath easily and talk to yourself out loud. If you cannot talk a full sentence then you are probably going to fast.

2: protein shakes, you really don't need any ever, eat a bit of real protein post long runs (90 minutes plus) but if you want, you can keep taking them, but I really I don't think they will make the slightest difference.