Frankfurt Marathon 2014

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that SJ, hope you recover soon...might be joining you unless I can shake this virus- 7 days without a run now image

• Hi all,

Bit late joining the thread but glad to see a few other will be making the trip at the end of the month!

Flying out Friday from Heathrow @ 19:25 and back from Frankfurt @ 18:50 on Sunday evening. Staying at the Dormero Hotel.

All the comments already mentioned are very welcome, so thanks for that! Hopfully the weather will be kind too.

I missed a big chunk of training in July so feel I'm lacking a decent base, but my last half (22nd Sep) and 10m (last weekend) were good so I'm hopeful of a decent time; just not sure how best to pace it! Hate finishing and feeling I could have done more, but at the same time, without a decent base it could be risky to aim for (close to) a PB and blow up at 20 miles!

All part of the fun I guess!

Happy tapering!

• Broke my toe the other day so Florence looks off the cards too. image

Good luck again, and to you too Big Bertie! Go for it. July was ages ago. If you feel good and believe, you might just surprise yourself.

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

SJ  

Sorry to hear your out of the marathon , on 2 previous occasions I have had to pull out in the last week before the race , I know the feeling but unfortunately it's part of running and all you can do is get well and plan the next one , good luck with the recovery ,

teknik 

hope your recovering , you have done the training so missing a few runs will not make much difference , I have had virus's before and missed lots of training in the last few weeks and been fine on the day 

Big Bertie 

hello 

like slokey said July was ages away , 

as for pacing always a risk , if your half went well there is no reason to not have a good day , as you suggested pace yourself close to your last marathon pace and see how your going at 20 mile 

i ran a17 miler on the weekend and will ease right off now , probably a 7 and  a 5 mile this week , 12 on the weekend and next week a 4 and a 3 mile very easy 

whats everyone else's last couple of weeks training consist of ?

• Last night: short speed session

Today: 30mins easy

Thurs: 6-7miles with about half at MP

Fri: Rest

Sat: Parkrun or similar

Sun: 13miles with middle 3/4 @ MP

Mon: Rest

Tues: Very short speed session

Wed: Rest

Thurs: 5 miles easy

Fri: Rest

Sat: short jog

Hopefully by then I'll have decided what pace to run at!
  • Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Big Bertie 

your game doing a Park run a week out , not sure if I could trust myself to go slow 

• No need to go slow a week out. A good taper should have the same intensity as your training Just lower volume. Have a good burn up a week beforeimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Virus is now a chest infection - at least I'm on antibiotics.  Race against time now...

Today 6m easy (but massively inflated HR)

Fri 4m recovery + strides

Sat 6m club run

Sun 13m with 10m at MP

Next week nothing much but a few easy short runs and strides

Fingers crossedimage

• Wonder if you might be better just resting for a few days to aid recovery Teknik. You won't get any fitter by training at this stage (anything you do is just for psychology / feeling sharp) but you might prolong your illness. 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

SJ I had 8 days off, and have definitely lost fitness...dunno what to do, reallyimage

• Sometimes you've got to just play the cards you have been dealt. Priority should be to get healthy - you won't train well whilst ill anyway and if it lingers and you try to race with a bad chest you will have a very unpleasant day out.

If I was you, I'd take the hit on the training and see what you have on the day. You might even benefit from the rest.

• main thing is not to worry about it too much.  You'll feel like you've lost fitness because you are ill.

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Teknik 

I agree with SJ  , I would rest up , I didn't run for 2 weeks before a marathon once due to a chest infection and was fine on the day and ran a Pb , the training has been done and it's in the legs ,

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice guysimage

• How are you feeling now Teknik?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Well today is the last day of the antibiotics, but I'm still coughing stuff up...no running since Thursday. image

• How's your resting HR and temperature?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

RHR is a bit elevated, but I don't check it regularly anyway.  "Easy" HR was up 20 beats when I last ran, on Thursday.  I think the temperature has gone now.  I'm going back to the Docs tomorrow...need to make my mind up soon (although I can't cancel the hotel anyway).

• Sounds like you are getting well. A couple of days of easy running to get rid of some of the muck from your head and chest and check that you aren't suffering afterwards and feeling ill again and then inject a few tempo miles and some strides at the back end of the week. You'll be right as rain on the day. 

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Thanks SJ, fingers crossedimage

• Looks like Sunday's weather forecast is perfect for marathoning. 14deg max, 5 kph wind.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Now diagnosed as pneumonia - so no Frankfurt for me this year.image Good luck guys...

• Oh dear! Sorry to hear that Teknik...

I've now given up on Florence in November but might toe the line at Pisa in December if you fancy itimage 

Get well soon!

• i'm in a pickle too - went for an easy 15 on Saturday and about mile 10 i was running down a pavement with railings on the roadside - got about 1/4 mile down and some workmen had blocked the pavement so it was either go back or jump the railings (about 4ft) - guess what i did - i got on the top then lost my footing, went airborne and landed on my thigh on the top of the rail then down onto the road - probably looked rally funny and i can see the funny side except for the monumental bruise and dead leg i know have. Tried a gentle 4-5 last night and it still hurts but i can move it - i think its going to be one of those where i am running in pain but i can block it out and maintain pace. Ice and compression between now and Sunday. Is a dead leg that bad an injury to run on? Could i cause any other damage say 20 miles in?

• Ooh, dunno really. I'd imagine a dead leg is just muscular bruising in which case it shouldn't be too much of a problem providing you've given it time to heal and kept it mobile. Yeah, should be fine!

• not out tonight but then who is in this weather! Will try a very gentle one on Thursday before i fly out friday just to see.

• Sounds like a plan. Good luck Andy and keep us informed as to how you get on!

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Not sure if I should post on here everyone is injured or pulled out !

Teknik 

sorry to hear your out , been there before , had to pull out of London once with Flu the day before , you must be gutted , 

Andy 

Agree with SJ , can,t really see things will get worse on the day so I would rest up and go for it!

Latest weather low of 9 c rising to   14c and dry , sounds perfect to me!

• cheers guys - another night of icing it and it feels a lot better today so hopefully ok.

when is everyone going out - i'm on flight from manchester on friday lunchtime? Panic set in when i saw Lufthansa had been on strike this week image 

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Andy 

fly from heathrow 7am sat ,so a very early start ,  staying in the star inn near the station , 

any one up for a beer after the run?