Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon 2014

Comments

• Morning All,

Haven't posted for a while.

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers for the food plan @malcs

I've found my biggest problem is eating the correct food. I struggle to eat salads and the like as I've never been a big fan but slowly my other half is making me eat stuff like this.

Been out for a couple of gentle jobs this week but nothing too serious as I'm under the weather at the moment with Flu/Man Flu. Depending on how I feel on Monday I'll be starting my Training plan then.

• I'm looking forward to this, it will be my first marathon, under 4 hours would be good.

I live near York so will be driving there on the morning.

Not really starting a training plan until end of June but ticking over nicely at the moment after six months of calf problems and shin splints.  I just want to keep injury free until end of June then step it up.

• Major Stone half marathon is also on 7 September

• Hi.

I entered last year but got injured during my last long run three weeks before. I watched and I thought it looked a fantastic event.

I want to prepare much more carefully this year.

I did the leeds half marathon last weekend in 110minutes.  This is quite a hilly course. I did a fair bit of training.

Given that the marathon is fairly flat what would a reasonable target time be?

• 3.45 to 4.00 looks like a reasonable target Dave, this will be my target as well.

• Keith OBKeith OB ✭✭✭

Before it goes dark is my target.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

3:45 to 4:00 is my target as well for York.  My half PB is currently 1:48.

I'm looking at the Arley Hall or Chesterfield halves as part of my training plan.

Did Runners World have pacers in York last year?  If so, are they back this year?

• Thanks 15west and Gareth.

Yes they did have pacers last year. Only 4 or 5 though. The 3:56 pacer had a bad case of runners trots and kept rushing into fields. I believe he got home in under 4hrs but it wasn't a smooth steady pace...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

They had a 3.56 pacer?!

For all those who have ran York and Chester, how do the courses compare? I know York has some hills towards the end, just wondered how they compare with the hills towards the end at Chester. The one at mile 24 at Chester is a bit of a killer.

• I know it sounds strange but yes they did. 3:56 is 9min/mile!

The hills are very long but very gentle. They took a lot of people by surprise. Map my run has the elevation.

• The Chester 'hill' has no comparison at all to York, the last drag in York being just that, depends how one has run the race to run the drag, fast or steady.  Unlike Chester it really is near the end. There is also support up it whereas in Chester it was sparser on the 'hill'.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Hi all, I appreciate it may not be in keeping with the entry rules - but if anyone has an entry that they need to sell at any point between now and October - please remember me and drop me a message image

• I thought I'd try and get us talking in this thread again!  How's everyone's training going? 

Mine has been a little slower than I'd like, which I'm blaming on the World Cup and then the Commonwealth games with too many late nights watching it!image

• erm, mine has been lacking a bit!image

• Well I keep telling myself there is plenty of time Mathschick, and currently there is...image

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi All,

When I entered this it was going to be my target for a fast time. Unfortunately due to massive issues with a calf I've only just started back running again. I'm doing Chesterfield mara on 14th September which was always going to be used as an LSR. At the 18 mile mark it's only half a mile from my house so I may toddle off........  Won't be ready in time for a fast pace at York so will use that as an LSR as well, try to go for my PB at Snowdonia mara at the end of October. If the calf has held up for the next couple of months!

So, come October I will mostly be a sightseerer.

See you in a couple of months time.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • haha, well I did my first ever marathon in Llanelli in April in 6:00:53 so I am hoping to go sub-6image Since then I have had loads of colds etc and work stress, have missed a few of the triathlon events I was targeting this year through being ill, but did an irondistance tri swim as part of a relay team, have picked the running again, and am off on holiday now! Will run a bit on holiday but won't really have time for long runs. 

There is a long cut off at York though, so will treat it as a bit of fun (kind of like I treat everything really!)

• Currently on taper for the NDW100 this weekend, followed by a weeks holiday then start some slow recovery plodding again to get the legs moving.

Staying with old Uni pals when I come to York - I have told them it will be a bit of fun and I have no intention of going for a time. My pal doing his first marathon has other ideas and seems to think this is some kind of race between us image. I've told him just to concentrate on finishing image!

• Training going well here, following P&D again to try and go sub 3 after 3.03 last time out at London this year. Nearly at the half way point of the 18 week schedule.

Good luck for this weekend Tigerspaw. What other races have people got planned before York? I'm doing the GNR and got a couple of other 10K's as tune up races.

• This will be my first marathon and training is going well, longest run so far is 16.5 miles.

I'm going to ditch intervals for a few weeks though as I've had calf problems this year and have felt it again recently.

Sub 3hr 30 was my first target but I might have to revise this now.

• Thanks MileMarker, I am aiming for a sub-30hr on my 100m in order to meet the cut-off of the race, so we are talking sound pacing, eating real food on the move, and run / walk strategy to complete.

After some recovery time I will throw in a speedy 10k in mid-September just to get the legs used to running at a faster pace again, as running marathons compared to ultras is a very different approach, a whole different kettle of fish you could say!

Looking forward to coming back down to York, been a long time absent image.

• I'm doing the major stone half marathon in Lockington near Beverley in early September to get me ready for the full marathon in October 

• Thanks for reviving this thread Matthew!

In line with a few others, training has not been going wonderfully.  Began my first ever formal running schedule at the start of July (14 weeks out).  Got through ~2 weeks then managed to pick up an injury - hip bursitis would be my guess from my consultations with "Dr. Google".  Missed a full 2 weeks with this injury and started to panic, however...

Got out for a few runs last week leading to my first ever 16 mile LSD on Sunday, and have since followed up with an X-train session yesterday and a quality hills session this morning.  The whole hip/quad region still needs a lot of stretching/rolling/icing, but I am hoping that I am now properly back in the swing and ready to look ahead towards race day!

On the negative side, I have backed down to 3 days running a week 'just in case' (moved to four days not long prior to injury) and I seem to have dropped some pace for a given effort at present.  May be kissing goodbye to plodding home in under 5 hours in my first marathon... and aiming just to finish!

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Training has been going pretty well for me.  Have planned to follow a 16 week schedule but actually started at about 19 weeks to allow for busy weekends and summer holidays (with associated beer + wine intake).

Trundled through almost 16 miles last Sunday in 2 hours 25 minutes as a LSR.

Was frustrated to get a cold in July but it did turn out of be a blessing.  I was going to enter the Arley Hall Half Marathon but skipped it due to the cold.  The organisers postponed the race two days before and it seems they have a history of doing that (plus not giving refunds).  I've entered the Chesterfield Half in September instead.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Evening, 

had some gait analysis done yesterday. All is good except for bringing my right foot through and slightly left. Quite weird watching the video! Explains why I keep going over on my right ankle, and perhaps why I keep blowing my right calf.

10m off road tonight, with about 1500 foot of ascent. I love living in the Peak District image

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Had a bit of a difficult week since an interval session on Tuesday left my right calf feeling a bit sore.  Skipped Wednesday and Thursday then did a slow 6 miles this morning and felt fine again.  

I think I will stick to easy paced runs for the next couple of weeks just so that I can make sure I do the weekly long runs - 18 miles planned for this Sunday, will be my longest ever run 

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Hi all image. Good to this this thread getting active!

So, I'm doing this marathon again. Last years training was very different to this year so far! I did it last year as a 'warm down' from doing Berlin 3 weeks before, so I had a good period of training leading up to it.

This year's training has been interrupted by a 500 mile charity bike ride from Paris to Leeds in July, so I've only really started my 'marathon training'! They say cycling helps running (and not the other way round), but I stopped running for 2 weeks during the ride, and ached all over after just 5k of running after that!!

Well, I've not been back on my bike, I can't really multitask!! I find it hard to dedicate time to both properly...

I'm really enjoying running again, and really got into training now! image

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Sounds like everyone's training is ticking over, with a few niggles here and there!  I feel much better about my training after the past week, I've managed to fit a mid week run of 10miles in and did 22miles LSR in the apocalypse type weather yesterday!  I've never run in a thunderstorm before or hail, so  it was an eye opener!image