Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon 2014

Comments

• Not a great weekend for me. 15 miler turned into a 10 miler, pace definitely a problem, going too fast and garmin really doesn't like the London buildings.

Think I need to get out the heart rate monitor again to ensure I'm not overdoing it.
  • Gareth - sounds like you are at around the same place that I am with my training... first 18 miler ahead!  How did your 18 miler go for you?

Cat - I have just recently decreased my LSR pace by around 15s/km as I get into the longer milage runs.  Only one data point, but my first 16 miler was a success at the new pace (and I do not think that I could have completed it a second quicker!)!  I am running in London too - enjoying mostly running along the Thames and the canal network (although I do some midweek hills, I do worry that I might get a shock on raceday when there is topography to deal with!).

Matthew - a 22mi LSR?  In Biblical weather?  Impressive.  What do you have planned now for an encore over the next 9 weeks image

No running for me over the weekend, as I was way for the weekend.  Given that I knew this was coming, I gave myself some license for a few harder midweek sessions last week - a good hills session in Greenwich Park; and 5 mile progression run (LSR pace to 5k pace).  Both really good fun and a change from my current plod-a-long stylings, but I could definitely feel the sessions in my legs over the weekend.

Starting to look forward to a hopeful 18 miles on Sunday, however the long range forecast is for heavy rain (shouldnt complain, I guess, in light of conditions this past weekend)!  Having learnt to deal with hot long runs, I guess it is time to learn to deal with 3 hours out in the wet!

Best of luck to all with the week ahead!

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Heavy rain for next Sunday?  Excellent - just when everything will have dried from yesterday's 14 miles...

• Holland - 18 miler was good yesterday, managed to get out early and home before the rain started.  I did it in 2.43 (9.01 per mile) which felt comfortable and could have gone for a little longer, good luck with yours.  Have to say I'm enjoying the long runs and going further than I have before.

• Know what you mean about the canals Holland. I run the ones around east london and have to make a jaunt up to Highgate every now and again just to get up a hill.
  • Starting to get dark now on a morning, that's going to make the midweek runs difficult over the next 8 weeks.

Looking forward to another 18 miles this weekend, what's everyone else got planned?

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

~10 miles tonight, will see if the legs are up for 8min/mile pace, then around 16 miles steady trundle on Sunday morning.

• Cross country race for me, 20k, lots of hills and thanks to the recent rain, hopefully lots of mud.
  • 18 miles completed, including the last 4 into a head wind image 

Hope everyone else's long runs have been good - 8 weeks to go

• Am really looking forward to this race.

19miles for me yesterday, most of which were run at the Belper Rugby Rover. Bit blustery but some great hills and trail.

Halfway in the training stage! Hope everyone's continues to progress well.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

17 miles yesterday morning.  Got a good soaking with about 2 miles left and stopped at a bus shelter to put on the little Montane windproof I'd taken with me (I was starting to get a bit cold).  I got another 50 metres up the road and the rain stopped image

Also did 15km at 4:45km pace on Friday night (which is fast for me) - going to be hard to resist PB chasing for the Chesterfield H/M in September

• daveymckdaveymck ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what sports drinks they use for this marathon?  Have looked all over the website and cant see it stated anywhere obvious/

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

It was the June newsletter email (here)

"Powerade has been revealed as the official isotonic drinks supplier for the event this October, while Muscle Milk Protein is the official recovery drink.

The energy gels on course, meanwhile, will be provided by High 5.

Powerade is one of the official sponsors of the World Cup and thousands of its bottled Powerade ION4 drinks will be available around the marathon route."

• daveymckdaveymck ✭✭✭

Thanks, maybe should start reading the newsletter instead of auto deleting it.

• Sounds like good news stories all round from the weekend - good to hear!  

I managed my first ever 18 miler on Sunday - conditions were pretty ideal except for some strong gusty winds which (would you believe it) picked up into my face for the last mile or so in particular!  It was an interesting run for me, as I really began to think "I really need to stop soon" a good 5k before the end, but managed to push on through and actually picked up the pace for the last 3k (I think I was focusing on just getting it over and done with).  Has some time to really contemplate the fact that, although my brain was screaming at me to stop, my legs still seemed to have more to give.  

This run was again very flat (Thames Path / East London Canals / Victoria Park), so I think I might stick on 18 miles for next weekend but head to Richmond Park to try to add some hills!  This is to be my first marathon and, whilst I want to get 1-2 20 milers in if possible, I do not want to peak too soon and end up running myself to an injury!

Davey - Funny, I got in touch with Yorkshire Marathon with the very same question, and they directed me to the newsletter.  I have to say that, although the website looks pretty, it really is one of the least useful marathon websites I have ever encountered!  Note that I also asked about the route, as the version on the website is currently for 2013, and received the following (this was around a month ago):  

"We are currently still finalising the drinking station positions and also the final route, however it looks like the route will be very similar to 2013, so please use this at your starting point."

Would be good to get this finalized soon!

• on my feet for 2hrs 20mins on a hilly course which I'm happy with. Am probably a week behind on my long run training but nothing to get too worried about as should still get a 20 miler in before the big day.
  • Sounds like everyone is doing well, we have a wedding to go to on Saturday night this week so the long run is going to be on bank holiday Monday I think.  20 miles if all goes to plan.

Well done Holland for grinding it out yesterday

• Myself and my partner are both doing this and we are about a week behind our long run plan. But we have done 19 miles over the last three days so feel fairly confident about getting back on track this weekend and then getting two 18 and 21 miler in before tapering. We have planned a run/walk strategy as this is his first marathon and I want him to have a positive experience. This is my third but the first that I feel the training is going okay for. We are doing one LSR and two/three shorter runs during the week. Hope that's not put the kiss of death on it. I much prefer autumn to spring marathon training.image

• Looking forward to this but missed nearly 2 weeks training after needing stitches in my head, so need to get a long run in this week. training could be better in my head as only done a 14 miler as my longest run so far but i run before breakfast on empty most of the time. time to test the fuelling strategy for on the day. Sounds like the race packs are about to be sent out too as i had an email to amend my address etc before the 23rd August. 

• Hi all I Was up in York lst weekend viisting family [Catcat you must be very near me - there's a hill in Springfied Park up the Lee Navigational by the way], and managed a recce run on parts of the course & offroad nearby - we did 19ish in very windy conditions.

I'm battling a killer trapped nerve type scenario and have missed a bit of training, have been doing a lite version of my usual.

Having only run London before [6 times], I was looking forward to having room to move at my own pace, was hopeful of a PB, but we'll have to see.

At the very least, this year will be a recce for next.
  • Looks like I am not going to make the start line as suffering with achilles tendonitis and plantar injury.

Up to 15 miles in training programme but now only able to do up to 5 miles before pain gets too severe.

Organisers will only offer a guaranteed place next year but will have to pay full price again. No refund or free transfer! image

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Hi Karl, id be interested in your place - what's the stance on transfers? can they be done with a fee?

• Managed 20 miles for the first time yesterday and it felt ok, legs feel a bit stiff this morning though.

• Managed 16 miles at weekend just about. I think we need to start eating more during the week. We are both constantly hungry and I went a bit light headed during the run. We had both been using the High 5 gels to fuel the run but I think I/we need more. A step back week this week with the Hilton Half at Blackpool on Sunday. Then two weeks of upping the mileage and then let taper madness begin.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

This week's newletter includes details of the drinks stations:

Mile 3 - Water
    Mile 6 - Water and Powerade ION4
    Mile 9 - Water
    Mile 12 - Water and Powerade ION4
    Mile 15 - Water and High 5 gel
    Mile 18.5 - Water and Powerade ION4
    Mile 21 - Water and High 5 gel
    Mile 24 - Water
    Finish - Water, Powerade and Muscle Milk recovery drink.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I also am possibly out...got something wrong with outside of lower left leg. Not sure what. Haven't ran for about 3 weeks and I still reckon a week or two away from being able to run again. I emailed them about deferring and transfers etc., they will defer but still have to pay as Karl says above, and I  don't think they do transfers.

• I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the availability of gels.

If you are in the second half of the field for example will there be plenty for everyone or is it wise to take some of your own with you just in case?

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I'll be carrying my own gels, avoids missing out and I choose the flavour.

• it is better to be prepared to be self-sufficient, you want to make sure you have the gels you are used to. 

• That's good to know, I think I will plan to carry some as well.  Don't want to miss out as I feel as though I might need a couple!!