Options

Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

I am feeling very undertrained for this - I think it is going to be a long day so hopefully it won't rain too much!

• Options
    Hi all we are going to smash this.

Gareth I tend to go for a major fuel boost at halfway anyway, and after the out & back we're on our way home.

I am in Salisbury this wekend and had an easy 7 in pouring rain this morning.

So maybe that will be good practice - first colder torrent of the season and all.
  • Options

Nerves not kicked in yet but sure they will this week. My first Marathon too ,zone 3, training gone well, can't believe how quick it's come around! not used to the re fuelling side of things and keep forgetting, I think after the half way mark I'll just copy someone that looks like they know what they're doing! a shower or 2 on the day would be nice.

• Options

Good luck everyone - we'll be fine, I'm sure. 

• Options
    7 miler for me aswell in the pouring rain yesterday, nice change from some of the hot ones we've had this year.

Main issue was chafing, know which shorts I'm not wearing on race day now.
  • Options

Did 9 miles at planned marathon pace yesterday and will do very little this week, probably 4 miles on Tuesday, 4 miles on Wednesday then 3 miles on Friday, all pretty steady paced runs.

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Hope the lurgy has been successfully repelled by everyone.

Cruised round 9 miles last Sunday, easy hill session tonight and then 3 miles or so on Friday will do me this week.

Planning to roughly follow this SIS guide on carb loading between Wednesday & Friday.

• Options
    Taper madness really kicking in. Loads of energy and the attention span of a spaniel, not great in my desk based job. My colleagues just find it funny.

Hopefully cold has now passed.

Easy intervals tonight, really struggling to not overdo it and go off too fast, had to reign myself in a couple of times.
  • Options

I always struggle with not setting off to fast Catcat, I have to really think about going slowly.  Hopefully I get that right come race day!

I've had a niggling ache behind my knee which comes and goes as it pleases it seems, which has impacted the last 4 weeks running or so, but I think I'm going to be ok to run this...

Last weather forecast I saw was 14 degrees and clear until the late afternoon.  I hope that's correct, that would be perfect conditions image

• Options

Not long now

One more short run planned for Thursday

Hopefully follow the 9m/m pacer and see how I feel during the run.

Weather looks OK at the moment. As long as there is not a lot of wind I don’t mind the occasional shower.

Now do I run in my bright yellow trainers to match my running vest or my lighter blue trainers? Decisions decisions

• Options

Run in the most comfortable trainers I say! image

• Options
    Absolutely - ones you've run in before.

Total maranoia here with the lung congestion and assorted twinges.

Yes, agreed, no wind please, and no rain until after we've started!
  • Options

Weather forecast looking near perfect- cool, dry and only a slight breeze

• Options

Getting nervous now for my first marathon any one got any last minuet tips for a first timer  

• Options

My first time as well Peter, I've been told to run the first half steady and probably slower than you think you should and make sure you have something left for the last 10k.

At least you're guaranteed a PB and can lay down a marker to beat the next time when you have the experience behind you.

• Options

Is there a startlist?

• Options
    Don't think so Bill.

My top tip for a first timer is to enjoy it. Run a conservative frst half and then get to 20 in one piece.

However well you have prepared you have no idea how it will be. The marathon is an epic adventure and every time is different, but there's such massive adaptation after the first I say don't stress on a time.
  • Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Good advice from Reikirabbit. 

York is only my second marathon (so I'm far from a marathon veteran) but reflecting on the highs (erm, finishing?) and the lows (hitting the wall very badly!) from Edinburgh gives me a little mental tick list for the race. 

Top of the list, in big, bold letters is nutrition ie EAT! I had two gels with me in Edinburgh but such was the state of my thought process when it all went wrong (around 30km), it didn't occur to me in the slightest to throw them down my neck.

Weather still looking good for Sunday.  Perhaps a little nippy at the start, so I'll find an old fleece to sacrifice.

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

2nd what Reikirabbit says. Don't get carried away with the throng at the start no matter how fresh and full of beans you feel, that feeling is unlikely to remain throughout! Make sure you keep your self hydrated for the days running up to the race as well as race day. As for food, people do vary, me personally I'll eat about 6 the night before, have some scrambled eggs and porridge for breakfast, at least two hours before the start and take some gels with me. One at the start, one about 8 miles in, one about 15 and the last about 20. It's just a 10k race from there......

Just enjoy it, if you flog yourself you could well blow up and struggle. Walking the following day may not be fun, especially downstairs! 

Me, I'm just jogging round as spent most of this year injured so not in the shape I was hoping for at this point. Ah we'll, such is life.

I'll be enjoying the craic.

Best wishes all.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Had a lovely philosophical run today, quiet 4 miles just considering how far I've come since the start of the year and irrespective of what happens on Sunday, I'm in great shape and PBs in other distances should go a tumbling.

The going out steady is probably the best advice I've heard. Certainly the bit about it feeling too slow. Did a marathon a couple of years ago, Was feeling great at 5 miles going faster than trained for pace, Started feeling bad at 13, wheels totally came of at 20, ended up a good 30 minutes slower than plan all for that 20/30s a mile faster at the start..
  • Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Almost there folks. Get those carbs down you and try not to let your mind play tricks on you - that broken leg you think you acquired while walking to the bathroom isn't real!image

Been a while since I showed my face here but now race day is almost upon us I feel compelled to join in the pre race build up.

Nice to see some familiar faces here. Chimney - sorry to hear you've had injury woes. I was injured going into this last year so had to go for a similar jog strategy. Have to say I still loved it. The local support was amazing.

Some great advice about pacing here. It's all about getting to 20 miles feeling as good as possible. Even pacing is the best way to go and at a level that you're not working too hard. Please feel free to throw this all back at me when you see me on the floor at 21 milesimage

Never seen a fog warning before a marathon! That's a bit of a shock. I will take my head torch just in case image

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Fog?  Best bring the head torch!

• Options

If its all closed roads why would it matter if its foggy or is some of it on non closed roads?

• Options

They are probably worried some daftie speeding motorist will not see a marshal and plough straight onto the course image.

Off to re-pack and swop black running top for bright orange...

• Options

Hi all - been a while since I popped in here, and good to see that most of us seem to be doing well as the race approaches!

This taper period has certainly been... interesting... for me.  After my 20 miler I got a stomach bug that meant no running until the following weekend (13 miles), after which I got a stinking great cold which meant no running again until the following weekend (6 miles).  Have since got a couple of short 3 mile runs in, but generally have been acting like I am made of glass - hard to argue that I am not right now given the last few weeks!

All of the above having been said the two main taper runs I have done have been absolutely glorious.  13 miles at Marathon Pace, including hills and a splash of trail (hard to include when running in London!), and 6 miles at half-marathon pace.  The latter found me bounding along grinning like a loon charged up on an endorphin high the likes of which I have not felt before!  Oddly I came off that run, more than any other, feeling like I am ready.

Had the double-edged sword of a manic week at work this week - left me quite tired, but kept my mind busy!  Have the day off today and have begun to nervously pack, pace around, repack etc.  Dreading the potential for having the race delayed - it will take all of my power not to pace up and down 26 miles during the delay!

Anyhow, rambling over.  Off on the train to York tomorrow morning so wanted to wish everyone here the best of luck!  May you all have strong races and hit your targets!  Look forward to hearing it all during the debrief next week!

Pete

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi all, ensconced in my B&b (Priory if anyone else is in here). Looking forward to a day of museums without Mrs C constantly looking at her watch nearly as much as the race! 

I'll be wearing a green Macclesfield half T and black shorts, balding rapidly and glasses. Allegedly in Zone 1 but will be starting further back as not in that shape. 

Cheers Malcs  

Have fun one and all

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Just off on the journey up.

In case I don't get back on here, good luck everyone, run well.
  • Options
    Chimney I walked past the Priory this moening on my way into town to buy gloves and earmuffs!
  • Options

It's a lovely day now here in York. Fog took a while to lift, but don't think it was too thick. hope it's like this for you all tomorrow. I'm on the first water station (it's near my house), so will be shouting you all on.

Good luck.