Options

A Thread For All Those Aiming For Sub 27 5K

2»

Comments

• Options

Welcome! The more the merrier image  i can sympathise with the distractions of cycling... running regularly in summer seems so much harder because of the distractions of cycling, picnics, hill walking, gardening, the list goes on.... Less options in the dark gloom of winter!  My aim is to try and do 3 or 4 runs a week, but the reality is I'm only really managing 2 or at most 3 a week.  this week I'm determined to do better in my quest for sub 27.  Did 4 miles on sunday so aiming to get out tuesday too and hopefully thursday.

hadn't heard of juneathon, I like the idea but I'd be hopeless at remembering to blog! Maybe easier in winter too!!   At least lots of cycling should give you a good base fitness too for running. 

• Options

Ok, I'll bite, current PB (in training) is 28:20 done during marathon training earlier this year. I don't do specific 5k training and don't have a Park Run nearby either so just hoping my times will tumble with increased stamina.

Should have run a 3 mile recovery run today but it turned into a 4.97k run in 28:41. The route is nice and flat for 1.5 miles then the next mile is 65 of the 95 metre incline - maybe if I ran it in reverse I'd go sub 27 lol.

• Options

Hi Andy, I bet you would easy get sub 27 if you had a parkrun nearby. I easily go 2 minutes faster when there are others around.  It's a shame there aren't more 5k races around.  You could see if you could get to one sometime you're away anywhere.  i was thinking of trying to do all the parkruns in scotland at one point but i've only managed 2 so far and they keep adding more !

Are you training for something else just now or just running for the love of running ?  

• Options

Hi R4C and yup, just started training for the Loch Ness marathon in September. I live on Mull so any PR would mean an overnight - I have suggested running Inverness the day before the Marathon to people but not many takers lol.

2 minutes faster in a race sounds good to me image  There is the odd 5k here on Mull but the next one I know of is the same day as the HM and am doing that to gauge my pace for LN.

• Options

Yeah, Probably not the best marathon prep!  Someone said to me at the parkrun on saturday that they only ever get a 5k pb a couple of weeks after doing a marathon !! I'm not sure I'm willing to do that to get a pb!  I'm still looking for a summer goal to train for, was ideally looking for 10mile -so the options are Ballater in july or Kyles in september - something scenic and not too busy are my preferences though considering inverness 10k  too though I've heard it's busy. 

Managed 27.26 at the parkrun on saturday, if I'd known I was so close to my Pb (3 secs off) I'd have tried harder !! Still not consistent though, was 14.15 for first half, and 13.11 for second half.

• Options

R4C, is that the Inverness 10k during Baxters Festival of running in September? 2,500 finishers last year, about the same as for the Marathon. 3 seconds off a PB? that's almost like finishing fourth and out of the medals image I guess the faster one becomes the smaller the times are for PB's. 

I'd also heard that about PB's after the Marathon - maybe because your running fewer miles? (I seem to PB during taper!).

Earlier in the week and after 5 hilly miles of 1/2 mile intervals I found myself at the top of a 1.75 mile hill and thought it would be a good idea to see my 5k time mainly downhill. Sadly I started too quickly so stopped for a rest after the first mile but the 7:22 did shave 24 seconds off my previous best mile. McMillan suggests 7:22 could (with the right training) convert to a 25:34 5k - just need to find a 3.11 mile hill lol.

• Options
    So I hit 23.06 at the parkrun this week! I was chasing down the guy pacing for 23 mins but couldn't quite catch him. I suspect my time will start to plateau now!
  • Options

Wow - well done photojonny! At the start of June I ran a 5K distance locally (not a race) just to see where I am now speed wise. It's not a good route for a PB as it has a big dip down & up again in the middle (and it's an out and back course so of course you have to do it twice!)

I ran it in 29:40 (so quite a way off 27 minutes, but see my caveat about the dip!) and I hope to run it again at the end of June and see if I've speeded up any. I might just do it again tomorrow and see how it's going half way through.

wannebebarefoot Andi - 3.11 mile downhill sounds like a good idea - but I think it would kill my knees!

• Options
    So annoyed! Trying to get under 23 mins now and got my time for this morning: 23.00 exactly! Aaaarrrggghhh!
  • Options

Obviously not trying hard enough jonny image Fantastic improvement in such a short time!

B&T, am training for the Loch Ness Marathon in September and with its negative incline doing 5k downhill repeats might be a good idea if I can get the OH to drive me back up each time lol.

No running for a week due to back issues but have hopefully got that sorted now.

• Options
    Quick check in. Yesterday's time 22.59! One lovely second!

Also my first (very hot) 10k was 50.29, so hopefully sub-50 next time.
  • Options

Add me to the sub 27:00 hopefuls image I only started in December and managed to get down to 5k 27:36 and 10k in 57:02 in March but hurt my Achilles badly on holiday (no alcohol involved, just steps). Just finished 3 months physio and have been back running for a month. Slowly extending my runs past the 10k mark I have seen my 5k times dropping below 30mins in training.

run4cake, the guy who has sorted my training plan told me to aim for neg splits on my race runs. 

btw I am 5'11 and 99kg

• Options

Finding it much harder to find time for running in the summer than I thought I would.  Did my first parkrun, and my first run at all, for over a month yesterday.   So was pretty pleased with 28.08.  Got sore legs today though, I need to get my foam roller out!   aiming to get back to 3 runs a week training if I can.  How's everyone else getting on ?

GJ - welcome.  My splits were ridiculous yesterday,  I did 14.47 for the first half, and 13.21 for the second.  I think it's the only way I can run.  I suspect that if I warmed up properly and set off faster then I'd die in the second half because I haven't done enough training to sustain it.  once I've got up to doing 10k regularly then maybe I'll try for a pb.

• Options

Hi everyone. I started running back on 23rd June and did 2.3km with some walk/run. After a week I could consistently run 2.3km so I started uping my distance.

This last Saturday I ran my first park run and got a time of 28:15, which was quite a pleasant suprise for me as I was hoping for 28:30 at best based on some of my training times. I've been doing alot of reading this last week and have slowed down my training pace, so I suspect that may have helped.

In my reading, I've seen a couple of comments saying that all of the World Records have been with slower first half splits than second half splits. I think you might be taking this to the extreme though R4C! :P I have the issue of starting out too quickly and having to take a slower time in the middle of the race to recover. I think overall aerobic fitness will help both of us more than being able to perfectly pace ourselves though image

Enter Cookie as format:
    (ex: name=val;) separate with ';'
    OKCancel
  • Options
    Just a quick hello and well done to all on their times. I've done two different Parkruns in two weeks, Plymouth and Finsbury Park, while I'm out and about visiting people. Big PB at Finsbury yesterday which I'm convinced was helped by my running the two miles to the park instead of driving. Down to 22.13 now. Need to find a flat course to try and get faster!
  • Options

Well done! We  have a lovely flat course here in aberdeen if you are ever up this way,  with a slight decline to the finish for the last 400m.  And sometimes a tailwind for the second half!  however we often have a gale off the north sea too which is not so good. 

• Options
    That sounds like a good course, I like a nice cooling wind and a downhill finish for a final sprint. My usual parkrun finish is at the top of nasty hill!
  • Options

A month on and I managed to get to 27:12, plus just completed my first 10 miler in 1:43, on target for a sub 2:15 half image 

I thought it was reasonable, that's until I went out on Friday to a black tie party, got drunk with a lad called Liam. I couldn't get up on Saturday morning, he did and set a 17:15 5k, his 2nd fastest time. Guess I still have a way to go image

Update 01/10 26:56 image