Half Marathon Training Advice please

Hi all,

Quite new to the forum and I'm hoping to get some advice from you please.

I am new to running, and started in January when I agreed to try and run a half marathon! I followed the runners world 2hrs 30 12 week plan, which went really well, and I quite often beat the target times for each run (my slightly competitive nature!!).

Anyway, last weekend I ran my first half marathon, got carried away with the excitement, and ran it in 2hrs 13!! Most of it went really well, started to feel it bit in the last mile, but crossed the line with a huge smile on my face image

Now I have the bug, and am hoping to run another half in August, so now for my question...

Do I follow the sub 2hr or the 2hr 15 plan next? I have just run faster than the target for the 2.15, but that is 4 days a week (only done 3 a week so far), or the 2hr plan (which would be a dream goal but is 5 days a week, and I'm not sure if that would be too much for me being new? Or do I do something in between??!!

Any advice would be very welcome,

Becca x

Comments

• Judging by the fact that you went from no running to running a half marathon in only 12weeks I would say that before your next half in August you will see a lot of improvement. I would follow the sub 2 plan but maybe just do 4 of the runs? 

Well done on your first half btw that is a great achievement image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I would follow whichever plan seems to best fit the amount of training you want to do during the week. If it recommends specific paces you can always adjust them for your own ability level using the McMillan Running Calculator. For my first half marathon I used a free RW sub 1:50 plan because I wanted to run 5 times a week as I was already doing. That one didn't specify paces based on the target, just 'easy', 'steady', 'fast' etc. based on my own level, so it was irrelevant what the target was, I just liked the structure and frequency.

• BeccaBBeccaB ✭✭
    Thanks very much for the replies image

Although I am new to running, I have done the London Moonwalk twice, so knew I could walk the distance, but shocked myself with how fast I was able to run it!

I think I may try to adapt the 2.15 plan, as 4 times a week would be easier to manage than 5, but just try to run each one a little faster than they say to run my next half faster. I will have a look at the McMillan calculator, so thanks for that.

Becca x