Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

Comments

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that in a race you'll easily beat 50mins and 1:50 for your half.

Running 10k and 13miles in training at race pace is really counterproductive. It will be your intervals that are improving your speed and the long runs that are improving your endurance. You're missing out on your lactate threshold runs by doing the 10k. These are really quite important for the 10k and half marathon and you only need to run for about 20-30mins at race pace as after that you will be tiring and getting no benefit. You're form will suffer and you'll risk getting injured. You've already said after 5k you lose it.

Good luck.
  • These guys are 100% correct Nicole. I suspect that, like me, you are impatient in wanting to see evidence of your improving performance. I also get great encouragement from improving times over familiar training routes and push myself in training to better these. It is very difficult to get out of that mindset but I think it is important to do so.  The greatest benefit is definitely gained by interval work, whether over shorter distances i.e up to 1km, where either the pace of the run is increased over a period of weeks or the recovery interval is shortened, or in longer tempo runs running at race pace for part of the distance. It is hard work and doesn't give the immediate buzz of a 'training PB'. But it is as good a guarantee to big improvements in race times as you can get. 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    My weapon of choice at the moment is 6x1000m intervals with 3mins rest between each rep. Every 4weeks increase the interval speed by 10seconds a mile. I've dropped from 7:20/mi to 6:50/mi over the last 4months. My half time dropped from 1:55 to 1:48.
  • I'm not at all surprised and I bet its been worth all the pain. During the 16 weeks of marathon training the toughest sessions were easily the interval reps. But I would imagine they played a big part in my success and relatively 'easy ride' on the big day. Hated doing them, but so glad I did!

• Yes, I'd definitely agree on interval training! Hate it & very painful but yields such good results. During marathon training I did a few types but the main one was a variant of the 'Yasso 800s'. I changed it to 0.5 mile intervals which is easier to measure on my Garmin/running app . Did 1 mile warm up jog then sprinted 0.5 miles then easy jog 0.5 miles/sprint 0.5 miles and so on. When I started I only did 4 sprint reps with average time 3m50sec. A couple of months later I got up to x 7 with average 3m37. Over the same time my 1 mile time improved from 7m29 to 7m13. Each time it felt awful but I couldn't believe the progress so definitely want to continue with this.

I only have just over a week of decent training time left now until BUPA so as I say will sort out a better schedule after that. Although, after 16 weeks of obsessively sticking to marathon schedule I must say it's nice to have gone a little off piste! But all your advice does make sense image
  • Think I'll give those a try Nicole.  I agree on the freedom of not having to run to a schedule but I really need that structure or I can easily lose discipline. And, of course, we both know it works! Good luck with BUPA let us know how it goes.

• Thanks Bob! My main worry about BUPA is that I may be somewhat jaded. I am doing my normal job all day the preceding Thursday, then working all night doing election counting! (Not due home til 6-7am). I have booked the Friday off (!) so I guess will nap a few hours Fri morn, get up then have a very early night/sleep in Sat in an attempt to recover - Sun I will need to be up early to get up to town for the race image

May take a few energy gels to get me through the Thursday night - they are the caffeinated ones!
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    That sounds about right Nicole. Limit it to about 30mins a week. So 8x800, 6x1000, 16x400m. Rotate them on a week by week basis and every 4 weeks just up the pace slightly.
  • Don't suppose you'll have too many votes to count! Six weeks after London I think you might be pleasantly surprised at how well you go. Think I should have taken the 10k option yesterday, really suffering today.

• Hope you're feeling a bit better now Bob. You were very brave! Went to the running club for intervals again, this week 10 x 400m with 1-2 min walk breaks. Unfortunately forgot my Garmin so got no idea on times but felt in myself that I held a reasonably consistent pace. Tough going! Kept thinking about stopping from the 4th interval onwards - then fixed on 8 (the minimum we were supposed to do) but somehow managed all 10! I think I was very lucky with the weather as it was sunny when I went but tipping it down before and after image

How is everyone else's running week going?
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I managed to squeeze in 7 easy miles on Sunday in between family commitments.

Wednesday night will be 10miles with 3 or 4 at HMP.

Finding it unusual dropping back down to low mile weeks after about 10months of constant marathon training.
  • Thanks Nicole, knees were really stiff yesterday, made getting up the stairs a challenge! Much better today, lower back quite stiff, which is unusual for me. Think its just the wear and tear of the last 5 months. I think that having got through the marathon without the slightest ill-effect, I'd convinced myself that I was invincible. Think again!

Excellent interval session for you. I find that once you are over the half way mark it is a lot easier to get through it. Having said that, the penultimate one is always really tough. Do you enjoy running with the club? Have thought long and hard about joining one. Thing is now I am retired I do my running during the day at a time that suits me. That does mean I do most of my training alone which I quite enjoy but it is easier to run in company now and again.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    If you join a club you will find that there are many retired people, self employed people, shift workers etc who run during the day and not just at club nights/meets.
  • I'm still feeling ambivalent about the running club. To be honest I think that I got too used to running alone and will always prefer it! But I think the interval sessions in particular are easier to motivate yourself for in the company of others image
  • I'm currently struggling to figure out what target to set for a 1/2M in July.

My old pb was 1h57, but since then I have knocked my 10k down to 50.32 and my 5k to 22.10. 

I'm wondering whether 1h50 is now a realistic target...

• TLParker wrote (see)

I'm currently struggling to figure out what target to set for a 1/2M in July.

My old pb was 1h57, but since then I have knocked my 10k down to 50.32 and my 5k to 22.10. 

It definitely is realistic. Probably a bit lower. I ran a 1h48 off slower 5k/10k PBs than that, but it was in my Marathon training cycle so had a lot of good solid long run aerobic conditioning under my belt (Plus running 5 times a week between 40-50 miles per week). So i guess it'll depend what training you've been doing.

I tried the running club here for the first time last night. it was a bit weird, I was on my own, no-one spoke to me and in spite of me trying to ask what was going on I just kept being passed along to the next person. It was quite different running with other people and something I'm sure I'll get used to in time. I've joined anyway so will keep going and keep trying to integrate there.

I've been doing lots of easy miles this week so far as I have a 5k tonight. Flat and PB friendly I'm targetting sub 23. Wish me luck!

• Thanks Matt.

It will be in the middle of marathon prep for a September marathon, so I guess I'll aim for the 1h50 and see what I can do!

Times have started coming down in good increments since I started the latest training plan, though I'm only squeezing in 4 runs a week due to other commitments. 

• Good luck with your training TLParker! Sounds like you have a great chance of breaking 1h50 image

Matty, I know what you mean about the running club.  This one seemed very cliquey although one or two people were quite friendly, most people completely blanked me! Not that bothered, to be honest, because I'm not really looking for the social side of it, but it does feel like you have to have gone for a long time to be accepted.  Anyway, it only cost £30 for a year which seems a great bargain and also gets me race discounts.  I think a lot of people do all their running with the club but I don't that is ever going to be me - I love the freedom and 'me time' of going solo! But I can see that there are benefits and that it will definitely bring me on image

• NICOLE Woods 2 wrote (see)

Matty, I know what you mean about the running club.  This one seemed very cliquey although one or two people were quite friendly, most people completely blanked me! Not that bothered, to be honest, because I'm not really looking for the social side of it, but it does feel like you have to have gone for a long time to be accepted.  Anyway, it only cost £30 for a year which seems a great bargain and also gets me race discounts.  I think a lot of people do all their running with the club but I don't that is ever going to be me - I love the freedom and 'me time' of going solo! But I can see that there are benefits and that it will definitely bring me on image

Glad I'm not the only one then! Yep, 30 for the year included the bvest and discounts can't be that bad in the long term. But much like you I like to run on my own terms. But I will try and at least go to the club runs every two weeks, just to get my face about.

• This is why I have declined joining over the years. I like to be able to run when and where I like. There are undoubted advantages of joining, not the least of which is exchanging ideas. I suppose we get that here though.

• Tried the running club again this evening. Just under 6 miles but so challenging - killer hills, mostly off road through woods and wild fields. Very very muddy and uneven! Actual time pretty slow but the effort expended so much more! Have to confess I took my headphones and just put one ear in, the last time I went I just couldn't cope without my music and my running app! But could still hear and talk to people. A few more friendly people including another lady who was a newbie like me image
  • Sounds like good progress. Being able to explore trails and routes is a definite plus point to club running.

Thanks Stevie. Know what you mean about the hills, they are my least favourite too.

Did a flat 5k course last night and the only way to describe how it went it would be "smashed it"! Finished in 21:59!

I wasn't sure sub 22 was on until a rounded the last corner and saw the race clock and had about 20 seconds to go sub 22 - My main target was sub 23. I don't know where I found it from but I mustered a sprint finish to just duck under the 22 mark. I've never felt a runners high like it! (At least after I had a little recovery lie down!!)

Mile Splits: 6.50, 7.05, 7.23 (Forgot to stop my watch over the line)

The last mile was a real struggle. But it shows I have the pace, just not the endurance to sustain it. 

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    TLParker wrote (see)

I'm currently struggling to figure out what target to set for a 1/2M in July.

I think that 1:50 as a HM target for you is realistic and sensible...  From your 5K time I'd have predicted a 10K time of 46-47 mins, which would suggest to me that you are better at a shorter distance...  For HM predictions, from your 10K time I would say 1:51ish, and from your 5K time I would say 1:46ish.

• Wow, well done Matty, incredible time! You must be really pleased with that image

Am trying to figure out my training before BUPA 10k as only 10 days away now. These are my thoughts:

Thurs/Fri - rest! Have done some hard runs this week, including intervals Tues and the hilly trail 10k last night. Also did core/weights workout yesterday image

Sat: 12 mile LSR -perhaps 9m30/mile pace? (My planned HM pace being 8m30). Am putting this in as have Hackney Half a month after BUPA and obv won't be able to do a longer run next weeken

Sun: rest

Mon: 10k with 2 miles @ 8m30, 2 miles @ 8m, 2 miles @ 8m30

Tues: rest

Wed: 10kish trail run with running club

Thurs: 'rest' - actually working all day then all night @ election!!

Fri: sleep am then 2-3 mile gentle jog late afternoon

Sat: more sleep & rest

Sun: race day

Any comments/suggestions?

Should I do the club intervals on Tues instead of either the Mon or Wed run? (1 x 1200, 2 x 800, 3 x 400)? Only thing is thinking both Tues & Wed sessions might be too much in race week. But if I miss Wed then I only have 1 very short run between Tues and Sun? (Thursday complete write off!)

Thanks all image
  • If it were me Nicole I think I'd definitely alter or leave out the planned Monday run as it is almost a replica of what you are trying to achieve in the race. I'd be inclined to do the intervals on Tuesday and on Monday or Weds just do an easy 5-6 miles (not with the club as you said it was quite tough last week)

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    You're not going to get any fitter or lose any fitness in one week.

I would just do a few easy 3-4 mile runs.