Sub 50min 10k/Sub 1h 50 half marathon

Comments

• Nicole - hope you feel better in time for the weekend.

TheDan - I'm pretty sure I don't run like Phoebe!image If I was going to race a 10k tomorrow I would aim for somewhere between 7.50-7.55m/m pace, and my 5k pace is 7.20m/m so a bigger difference than you would expect. I use a Garmin for racing and training. The last 10k I ran, the first 3 miles were the same pace (too fast at 7.45!) and the last 3 were around the 8m/m mark. The 5k is our local parkrun which has a lovely downhill start so my first mile is always 30-40 seconds faster than the rest! Overall I would probably say that I have a tendency to start too fast in races and then struggle later on.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

yeah i figured as much, i used to do that too, took a lot of disipline to change it, i'd still say your aim is a little off (for your time you should really be looking at 7:40 min miling) but i'd suggest this;

pick a time you'd be happy with (but isnt too challenging, so for you, lets say 7:52 per mile) hold that time for the first three, then, if you feel ok, try and pick up the pace, i find this helps immensely, so long as you've got a good idea of your current fitness, plus you can then treat the first 5k as almost an extended warmup for your second 5k race. All going well that should bring you in comfortably sub 49 even if you hold your starting pace

• Tough (for me!) tempo last night (7 miles with 2 x 2.5mile tempo, off 3 min recovery)

Easily the fastest 10k I've ever run (52:30 and that's including a mile warm up and the 3 min recovery between tempo intervals) so looks like this speed training is really paying off.

Looking forward to a more mellow run in the hills on Sunday though I'm sure I won't be able to resist chucking in a couple of faster miles at some point.

Good luck to those racing this weekend!

• That's encouraging Rich, well done. If it was tough then you know you've got the pacing about right. The other good thing about the hard speed sessions, is that it makes the other runs so much more enjoyable.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

Oh, by the way, shall we get some kind of pb chart going to see how everyone is getting along? I'd be happy to compile it if peeps give me some times image

• Nice one Dan.  Never let it be said I don't love a good chart!!

10k best is 51.39 from 22nd March

Half best is 1.57.40 from 2nd March

• Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭

Aranjuez 10k Nocturna Race Report

I ran with a couple of friends, who'd gone to pick up the numbers and t-shirts in their car, from a shopping centre near the start line- this was significant because when I met them for a pre-race beer (I know!) they underestimated the time it would take to walk back there, and we ended up hving to run the last 2k or so to get in position in time, right at the back. It was pretty hot, too, at the start it must have been at 25 degrees still, despite it being half past ten at night.

I'm a bit disappointed with my tme, which is down on the website as 56:13, and on my watch as 54:05 (although it also says only 9.95km!?). I was hoping to dip under 53 minutes. The first km was slow, because of the numbers of people- this was actually a problem at several bottlenecks, though as it was I was slowing right down by the end so perhaps it isn't really an excuse. I found the going tough, with a mix of tarmac, pavement, stone slabs and cobblestones underfoot my dodgy Achilles, which had been fine for a few days, started making its presence felt after about 5k. I didn't find myself really able to appreciate the historic architecture. Also because of the crowding, a couple of times in the first 3k when I saw a space open up I probably went faster than I should have to try to take advantage to hit my target of the first 5 in 26 minutes (which I didn't manage, getting there in 27). There were loads of people lining the course, cheering people on by name, and kids waiting to slap hands as you ran past, which was all kind of nice. Friendly atmosphere, anyway. 

I really flagged for a bit around the 8k mark, but not for long, and managed to put in a decent last mile. The finish was in an athletics stadium, after one lap of the track. An athletics track seems really big when you have to run round it at the end of a race, but it was kind of fun to put in a sprint finsh.

All in all I only managed to do the 10k at a 5:26km/minute pace. Given that I did the HM two months ago at 5:27, and this was a pretty flat course I am a bit disappointed with myself having only just about matched by best training times. I haven't been taking training as seriously and have had a couple of niggles over the last two months, but nonetheless I had hoped to do a bit better.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Just about struggled round for a sub 59 mins this morning. Hot hot hot.

I've done no specific training for about six weeks now. Ran a hot hilly half marathon two weeks ago and did a 20mile event last Sunday.

Wondering what to do for the next two weeks leading up to my next half.

I think an easy recovery run tomorrow. An easy 7mile on Wednesday and then a park run on Saturday followed by a 10mile with tempo on Sunday. Not really sure what after that...
  • Nice race report Dan. Can sympathise a lot!

Brief race report from me re Hackney Half...

Started off well first 3-4 miles on planned pace for sub 1h50 (8m20/mile). But then started suffering a lot in the heat. Immediately backed pace down to 8m30-40, sipped water and splashed it over me to try to cool off, also tried to zig zag a bit to run in shade where possible. But about 7-8 miles on started suffering with heat exhaustion. Felt very cold and shivery and covered in goose bumps despite heat, also a bit light headed. On top of this painful right quad, has been bothering me for a while but unfortunately had to cancel my sports massage earlier on week when I was ill with stomach upset.

Made the decision the only way to actually have a chance of finishing the race/avoiding medical care was to back pace right down and run as slow as I needed to avoid symptoms worsening. From then on was the worst/painful race I've ever done (including the marathon!),my pace was slowing more every mile. Seriously doubted I could finish but somehow made it. Awful time of 2h01, 4 min worse than my only other half mara, which was coming off a knee injury & with 6 weeks of virtually no running!!

Obv very disappointed with the time but at least not with my medal, the hardest earned yet I think! I know full well I can run the half way quicker (and have done several times in training) so trying desperately not to let it phase me for my November marathon I'm Valencia! Sounds like we all struggled today, and I guess this is part of the journey that is being a runner? image
  • Eek, race stats showing I did first 10k avg 8m33/mile - remaining 11k avg 9m58/mile! :0
  • Don't worry Nicole ... I was convinced i had this in the bag given 2 sub 48 10km ... But the heat .... Oh the heat .... So many people collapsed by the sides, and so many more walking at the end. I did 1:53.29 ... a minute off pb and way off target. But I think it was one of those races that was just good to finish!

Have realised I struggle with hydration in hot races ... Despite feeling desperately thirsty the whole way I still had to stop to use the ladies! Did the same at London mara last year and I never have to stop in training.
  • Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭
    Glad it's not just me...
  • Great result Vicki in the conditions, well done! I know what you mean re hydration. I also struggled a lot with the water pouches, first time I've come across them and hated them ! It seemed that as I ran holding them, my grip kept sealing up the top seal and it was really hard with sweaty fingers whilst running to get it to release again. Think any more races where they have these I may have to wear my Camelbak - unless there is a knack?! image
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I had a dry mouth but wasn't dehydrated. At one point I felt very sick.

Maybe swilling some water around your mouth before the start might combat it.
  • Well, cracked my sub 50 10K today in blistering hot conditions I managed 49:32!!  I thought I was off to pass out, ended up making some very strange noises over the last 3K, not sure what the race Marshall's thought!!

I did the first 5K in exactly 25 mins though set off a bit quick.  What I did find out is its a lot easier having the Garmin set to KM rather than miles as they shorter if gives you the ability to try and stay as close to 5:00 @ KM.

I really pushed from the 8km Mark to take into account a couple of short sharp hills..

Half marathon training now - looking for the sub 1:45 @ GNR..  

A very tired but happy me! image

• Well done guys, conditions were really difficult this weekend. I only did easy running and found it hard work so was glad to not be racing.

• congrats all that were racing, I have to agree with Matty - just finishing in that heat would be an achievement. Well done PTD on the PB, I'm guessing you'd smash that again in cooler conditions.

Easy 10 for me on Sunday before breakfast to beat the heat. I've discovered that over a kilo of bbq'ed meat washed down with beer and wine is not a great way to fuel for a long run the following day - will have to experiment a bit more! image

The Dan - good idea on the PB chart... only done 5km so far 25:03, hoping that'll come down at parkrun in two weeks.

• Yes, well done PTB - very impressed!

The Dan - are we talking official race times, training times, or both? image

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

official times only please, otherwise i'm currently the world 5k record holder with a time of 6 minutes (garmin got a little lost that day)

• OK so 10k is 51:37 (recent BUPA 10k May 2014) and half would be 1:57:33 (Royal Parks Oct 2013). I've never entered any 5ks. Marathon 4:07:39 image

• Hi The Dan

10k = 52:00.     Hereford 01/01/14

HM = 1:51:01.   Newport. 02/03/14

Marathon =. 4:07:49.     Madrid. 27/04/14

Well done all those who toiled in the heat! 

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

cool, I'll compile these into a list once i get home after my run this evening

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

blimey! that was a bit toastier than i thought i'd be my 10k intervals turned into an easy 55min 10k, anyway, as promised here's the chart, with the current leader for each distance highlighted

/members/images/771922/Gallery/timeytimes.png

• It's really interesting to see different leaders for each distance! Will be good to see the progress over time image
  • If there's room for one more Im:

5km 24:30

10km 47:45

HM 1:52:28

M 4:28:30
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    It'll be down to different types of course, weather and specific training.

5k 22:44

10k 51:24

HM 1:48:35

M 4:39:33

I've only gone sub 1:50 on the HM twice. I'm not consistently sub 1:50 by any means.
  • and me!!

5K 23:45

10K 59:32

10M 1:31

HM & M - not attempted (yet image)

• Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭

PBs

5k   24:57

10k  54:05

HM: 1:55:37