Paris Marathon 2015

1267268269270271273»

Comments

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Charlie - plantar fasciitis is being thrown up; how closely does that measure up with what you're feeling?  (I'm no doctor though, as I'll show in my next post...)

Eggy - great running yesterday!  Sorry, I was taking an age to write my post and didn't notice there'd been more in the meantime.  Glad you lot enjoyed the day.

Nodster - good on ye!  I've never been myself either, but going by Orbutt's post you'll have a good time.

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Plea for help type post:

Right below my left knee is sore, right at the top of my tibia.  The best self-diagnosis I've been able to come up with is Osgood-Schlatter disease, which is most commonly found in considerably younger people than me.  The prognosis seems to be "it'll hurt a bit but essentially you're fine", which is pretty much what I want to hear.  Pain is temporary, etc etc...

Could I be confusing my pain for something more serious?  

To give a bit more info, I there's little to no pain when walking, just an occasional twinge.  Felt it on Monday during a recovery run for the first time, so didn't do anything for the rest of the week before yesterday's race, where the pain came back from around 5k.  Cycling afterward hurt too.  

Cheers!

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Ran Leeds half today, hilly course, ran every year since 2010.  Split times below for last four years, today I knocked 5mins 10secs off last year's time finishing 1:36:51.

Thats a course PB ... actual PB achieved in Brass Monkey in Jan this year of 1:34:22, however that's a really flat course in York.

Orbutt, tell me more about Liverpool RnR evil hills so I can prepare myself, are there downhills to compensate???

2012. 2013.  2014. 2015.   1. 7:33.  7:18.   7:35.  6:49   2. 7:41.  7:54.   7:44.  7:02   3. 8:08.  8:04.   8:09.  7:33   4. 8:55.  8:51.   8:25.  8:17   5. 7:55.  7:48.   7:47.  7:18   6. 8:16.  8:06.   7:50.  7:29   7. 8:15.  8:06.   8:06.  7:52   8. 7:38.  7:32.   7:31.  7:10   9.  7:39. 7:35.   7:14.  7:05   10. 7:43. 7:33.  7:36.  7:15   11. 7:56. 7:51.  7:36.  7:17   12. 7:44. 7:48.  7:43.  7:39   13.  7:49. 7:47. 7:46.  7:38

• Meadower - pain in that position could also be the head of the hamstring (biceps femoris) as it attaches to the tibial head. If you have been doing anything that puts particular stress on your hamstring, like weights sessions in a gym (hamstring leg curls for example), this could stress the muscle tendon attachment point.

Eggy - well done on your 10 miler PB. A good distance to push hard on and congrats too on the subnurn - slightly easier for a Scot in the right circumstances though!

Love go-kart racing. Love big car racing. Hoping to go to Cadwell Park in the UK next month to do a track day.

Did my longest ever bike ride yesterday - the Tour de Namur - 180kms. Apart from deep sleep last night and slow to wake this morning, feel great on it. Went with the other guys and managed to lead the last 35-40kms home as they were suffering a bit for various reasons. Was nice to have paced my energy so well. It feels much easier to do than running a marathon to the point of exhaustion, right at the end of a race.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Andy-W there are two evil hills and a wicked hill. Plus several hills  

You start and finish at sea level so any ups have a down but the ups are steeper than the downs  

Just after mile 7 there is a pretty steep climb about 400m long which takes you to the highest point on the course with a great view over the city. They had a samba band here last year which was tremendous. They also had a lucozade sport feed station here. From this point on, it's a steady downhill into the city centre 

Mile 12 is Parliament Street. Again, evil. This is about 600m long and there will be a fair few walking it. At the top it's a long flat bit leading to a bit of a hill. 

Finally, in the run up to mile 20 there is a long steady hill. At the end of this is a left turn onto a wicked hill. Normally, this wouldn't be too bad, as it's only about 200m long but at mile 20, it's wicked. This is the next highest point on the course and it's all downhill from here, apart from the exit of an underpass. 

The last 4 miles are along the river. Last year, it was hot here and not a breath of wind. I've run along here many times and this stretch can be a killer. If there is wind from the North West then it will be in your face and this can really slow you down. 

I once turned onto the riverfront and it was like running in syrup, with a side order of torrential rain. 

After all of the above, I got a PB on this course and I really enjoyed it. However, I am biased. 

• Meadower - Osgood-Schlatter disease: isn't that what thirteen year old footballers get?

• kennokenno ✭✭✭

Ran Bracknell half today.  1:48:09.  Just over 5 mins from my PB.  Was slightly disappointed initially, but considering I had a broken foot 4 months ago and have only been back running for 6 weeks I suppose it's not too bad.  It's my 3rd best time.

Horrible hills between 6 and 8 hit me hard.  In hindsight I went out far too fast and was on target for a PB up until 6 miles.  Paid for it when the hills came.

At least it shows I'm in reasonable shape and can build on it to get up to marathon distance.

I would highly recomend Bracknell though.  Only £22 and very well organised.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Lol Orbutt - sounds like PB will be a good effort. Think the good news is the hills are not that long but will affect pacing and as its a marathon make you feel them, and when you get flat to finish its after 20 miles and could be windy. Course sounds evil to me but despite that a few of my club mates have run good races here last year and returning
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I use Strava how would we all go about connecting, eg to the Runners World Paris Group?
  • Meadower wrote (see)

Sofa also sounds good, though image

I was made to do 'races' in the park this afternoon by my 5 yo. Legs just felt tired, but fine. So I'll go with my limited stretching yesterday being good enough!

Any suggestions on running belts for the small runner?

• Some excellent running out there people, and some serious pedalling from TD. Don't have any helpful advice about the injured, but I have learned from painful experience that it generally saves you time and money in the long run to get the pros involved as soon as possible - and that generally means a sports physio or podiatrist, unless you're very lucky and have a running GP.

Last long training run of 37 miles today. I thought I'd pitch in on the fuelling discussion from an ultra perspective. First up, when you're running very long slow miles, its not just about getting the calories in. Food is also about incentive, punctuating the run, and reward. Sometimes all it takes to get you through a bad patch is the knowledge that you're getting 2 jelly babies in 5 minutes. Also, to a certain extent, it's about what you can keep down. So it's important to have variety, because you can't always tell in advance what you'll feel like.

So, today I had porridge for breakfast (50g of oats) with banana and agave syrup, and orange and beetroot juice.

On the run, I had: 60g of marzipan, 115g of jelly babies, a banana and 24g bag of twiglets. Which equates to roughly 800 calories, 210g of carbs and 11g of fat. I eat about every 20 minutes, and switch between the different options. I reckon I got that about right - I still had some food left at the end, I felt OK and I was still able to keep a steady pace. For reference, I weigh about 62.5kg.

To drink, I had 1.5l of water and 2 High-5 zero tablets. I could have done with a bit more as I ran out before the end (it was warmish, low 20s). I think 250ml more would have done it - I was a bit thirsty by the end but not massively dehydrated.

Fuelling is a very personal thing, but I though people might find this interesting.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

RR - you've got that nailed down pretty tight there, good for you, and 37 miles in the can today, phew! The whole marathon in-race fuelling thing is a bit of a mystery for me, still working it out.

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    I guess I should've checked out the course profile first Orbutt ! Sorry to hear of your, and others injury problems. I've a bit of a groin strain I think. Really sore after last weeks Wings for Life World Run, but cleared after a day or so & sore today after a 16 miler.

Always got the option of changing distance. Perhaps we could meet up in Liverpool Orbutt & AndyW ? Be good to follow on Strava too, we should be able to do it through BCRC on Strava.

Well done on all the running today, impressive RR, and interesting fuelling, like the sound of marzipan.

Hope everyone recovers well. Take it easy.
  • Nodster - did you see David Coulthard driving the car at Wings for Life?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

RR - sounds like you nailed that long run in all respects, making it a perfect dress rehearsal for Comrades.  Well done.  I must admit, I thought I was the only one that used the promise of a treat as an incentive and as a way to break up my runs!

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    RR, no I ran Ypres, Belgium & was so glad to see the car, didn't have a clue who was driving it !

I'm at a therapy centre this week & there's a guy here who ran Silverstone & saw him and Mark Webber.

May try Silverstone next year. Better bling apparently !
  • KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭
    Betzza wrote (see)
    Hmm I'm at a wedding that weekend...would you go back on the Sunday via the m3? If so maybe we could rendezvous at the River Park in Winchester.....
    No pain no gain though!

That sounds pretty awesome but I'm afraid we'll either be driving back the same day as the race (Saturday) or I'll be detouring through London to see my Dad on the Sunday (it gets complicated, having family all over the world!) Thank you though, that's a really kind offer X

Meadower, it was worth doing and I think I had some fun (in amongst the 'oh dear, I'm going to die' moments!) but I don't think I enjoyed it enough to get good at. I think that's where it's most fun - where you're in control but at the top end of your ability. I have some pretty fun bruises as well!

AndyW - I'm on Strava as KeyserSuze, There's already a club, if you find me I'll invite you. Of course, that's the same for anyone who fancies joining in. The leaderboard is fun!

Nodster - I did Silverstone last year and hated it. It was windy and cold and it took three hours to get out of the car park. The route was boring and my watch measured more than a half mile long. On the upside, I got my PB, ran with some lovely RWers, had Let it Go stuck in my head all of the way round and the bling is indeed, quite good. 

RunningRodent, well done on the amazingly long run, you're brilliant. I thought of you and Danni while I was running. 

So I tried for a 22M yesterday. I got to 13 and my back, hamstrings and glutes were wound up so tight, I couldn't keep my legs moving. We walked/ran for three miles then walked about two miles, managing to lumber into a shuffling run for the last mile. The frustrating thing was I feel fine. A bit tired but fine - we went to the cinema afterwards (Avengers: Age of Ultron) and with a bit of surreptitious stretching, I felt good, just with a really stiff lower back. 

Stockholm is looking extremely likely to be a planned walk/run strategy, I haven't run more than 15M continuously this year. 

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Just about recovered from London (or so I thought), but got to start thinking about tapering for Edinburgh in 3 weeks' time, so this weekend was my only proper opportunity for a decent run out. Picked a route where there were no short-cuts and I was committed to running the full distance, and planned to be paced by my HRM - aiming for 145-150 BPM.

F&*% me, that was hard. Even going nearly 1 min. / mile slower than marathon pace, I had to keep stopping in the end for walks. I was so glad to get back to the car and sit down. Part of me is looking forward to finishing Edinburgh so that I don't have to run for a while. Including training runs which have been full distance, by the time I finish Edinburgh, then in the past 9 weeks I'll have run three official marathons and two "unofficial". With hindsight, think I've overdone it a bit - R&R now required before Edinburgh to let my weary wee legs recover.

Just thought I'd get my excuses in now................................image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Some great running this weekend by all.

Meadower - I'd say to get any injury niggles you feel looked at as soon as possible. Health wise and mentally injuries can take it out of you.

RunClaire - I don't use a belt, but I believe the flipbelt is very popular with many runners on here.

It's now taper time for me for Stockholm. I've been consistent with my training and returned to training far sooner than I normally would after a marathon, so I'll be interested to see how I get on over there.

• I think it's time to close this thread and start the Paris 2016. I don't think PC wants to do it so I'll do it unless anyone has any objections?

• Well done to all the racers this weekend, great racing guys!

Kenno - I think 5 mins from your PB is very good under the circumstances!

RR - did you have to stop for the loo at all?

Meadower - Go to a physio and get it checked out, there are a few injury sites that I wouldn't mind just running through and taking the risk, but a knee isn't one of them, you could be out for months if you have misdiagnosed yourself.

Re stretching after a marathon - I do light stretches right after the race and I then try and have a little jog or a brisk walk and again light stretches a couple of hours after the race, but I don't stretch cold legs.

• And good luck to all the Stockholm-ers embarking upon their tapering, bet you don't feel as mad about it as the Paris taper! image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I find my general madness makes my taper madness less noticeable.

Now Stockholm. What will the weather be? Do I need a hat?

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Last one out, turn off the lights.

Bye bye Paris 2015, you were ace, cracked 4hrs - see you in 201......?

• Hooray, can't wait for the 2016 thread!  image

• Andy-W- wrote (see)
    I use Strava how would we all go about connecting, eg to the Runners World Paris Group?

Here's the link to the BCRC Strava group. Anyone is welcome to join. There's something similar for Garmin Connect too. Neither group is used very much for discussion but if you do join them, your run data (or ride data!) is automatically made available for other group members to look at and people can comment as and when they like.

BCRC stands for Bristol Convocation Running Club. It's a very old composite joke. Bristol as in the Bristol Stool Chart. First brought up 8 or 9 years ago as runner's confessed training 'accidents'. Convocation - what the Paris Marathon organisers call the final print-out with all your race details you have to bring along to the expo.

Voila.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I hope no one minds but I've created the new thread for 2016 Here

I've used PC's words as the intro.

Please pop in and say hello image

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭
    Oh no Keysersuze, don't know which one to do now ?!

Thank you all for Paris 2015, it was special. See you in the new thread x