Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• 15West - that's my peanut butter fix of choice too. It's pretty low in salt too, but it tastes nice despite that. If you're near a branch of Whole Foods they sell it there.
  • Mattleydon I've just read Born to Run too.  Very good.  My daughter bought me Running with the Kenyans for my birthday and that's a great read too.

• 15W - you signed up! image

I'm planning on flying into Paris on Saturday and out on Sunday! Not sure about accommodation yet, definitely a hotel but not sure where. OH also entered  - it's his first marathon and he is starting from a base of weekly parkruns as his only training! He has some work to do.........! Good job its 11 months away.

• thisisnattythisisnatty ✭✭✭

Nells, I'm at the girly Nike too. Purple pen. 

Loving the 'Run less, run faster' book. You can find the basics of the plans online but there's easy to follow drills, strength, stretching routines, conversion tables and bike/swim/rowing workouts to fit each week of the plan. 

• 15West wrote (see)

Looks like this thread is busy all year round. Does it really pick up in the new year when people start really focusing their training on Paris?

No..  its busy all the time...  this thread has been here for about 9 years now, maybe 10...   during that time there have been 4 babies, 1 marriage, a few relationship start-ups, a few divorces and lots of laughs...

It moves at a fast pace...   keep up..!

• acp wrote (see)

15W - you signed up! image

I'm planning on flying into Paris on Saturday and out on Sunday! Not sure about accommodation yet, definitely a hotel but not sure where. OH also entered  - it's his first marathon and he is starting from a base of weekly parkruns as his only training! He has some work to do.........! Good job its 11 months away.

ACP - most people regret doing that in the end. We have a lot of comaraderie on the thread and do lots of meet ups, during the year and over the Paris long weekend. Of course, no one can tell you how to plan things out, but almost everyone says, "I wish I had known, I wish I'd stuck around to meet up".

15West - sub 2h45 - chapeau! I think Roger Reid this year got a 2h52 and Denis Duret the year before had the same time

Mattleydon - I'd recommend Jack Daniel's Running Formula as a very good book to tell you about the basics of training theory, physiology etc.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes acp I'm in. You too?! Early days of course but I was thinking of arriving on the friday and getting the expo out of the way that day, and then leave on the monday or tuesday, or even later. All depends on costs etc. Need to spend a few days sight seeing though, especially for my daughter who has often said she wants to go to Paris. One of the reasons I've chosen Paris is it sits in the middle of her Easter school holidays next year.

• Emmy, before I met my partner, I had the same thing (I'm in NL, but my parents are in the US). I had my best friend listed, and gave her a 'who to call' list. She also had the spare key to my place in case I lost my key.

Peanut butter: My go-to before a LSR is multigrain roll with PB and banana. I managed to find a brand here in NL that is just pur??ed peanuts, no oil/salt/sugar added. I found it at a natural foods store--perhaps that's an option in the UK as well?
  • TD: Feel better soon! I had a nasty stomach virus at the end of Feb, and it definitely helped with losing some of my pregnancy weight. That was the only good thing about it. :P
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Hey nells, are you in London too? Looks like the london posse is getting nicely bigger.  We'll never get to the size of the caledonian massive but there's a few of us around the big smoke. Most are heading out to run or support for the bupa 10km on the 25th if you want to put a few faces to random names. Invite goes to anyone that's around that day.

• Repping LDN! West London massive blud.image
  • I didn't realise there was a meet up at the London 10k, I'm definitely in. Travelling on my tod.

90 second PB for me at parkrun this morning, 23:58! Which considering the rough grassy terrain and elevation profile I am spectacularly delighted with (My previous course best was 27.11)!

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    15W York will be my 7th marathon too. 3 Chester 2011, 2012, 2013 ... London 2012, Manchester 2013, Paris 2014

Not made mind up about 2015 yet, maybe London or Edinburgh. I combined Paris with Disney this year (a week Wenesday to Wednesday, taking wife and kids by car thru Chunnel), was fantastic holiday experience! If you're going on your own flight from Ringway might be best. Very easy to get around Paris on the Metro (Pseudo London Underground / Overground system).

I'm also Leeds half tomorrow, GNR, a couple of 10ks, weekly training, parkruns, 2014 miles in 2014 image not as fast as you thoughimage
  • Can only stay for the 1 night. Unfortunately the marathon is on the final weekend of the school holidays in our area, we can't bring the kids with us as there's no-one to look after them while we run and we are asking our friend a massive favour to look after them at home for the weekend. She's the only person who has ever offered to look after our 4 children for a whole weekend and we choose to spend it running a marathon! Must be mad!image

• Hey there everyone! Welcome to anybody new. Please jump in and make yourselves at home.

We have, for many years, had a guide about this marathon with some advice and tips. However, its author has passed the baton of guide formulator and sharer to...me. This may or may not be a good thing... news of this development was received amongst some of the longer standing forumites with a resoundingly dull thud.image But, I'm who've you've got.

I also happen to be the safe keeper of our accommodation guide.

Until I've had a chance to create a new guide, feel free to message me with your email address and I'll be happy to share the accommodation guide.

No running in a few days for me. I don't have a good excuse for being slack, but the Brussels 20km run next Sunday should give me enough incentive to get out there sometime soon!

• Yay Matty! Brilliant PB. Wish I could be making the same progress in speed as you have this past 6 months.

ACP - Madness is a bit of a prerequisite around here! Join in the doo-lally-ness!

• hello everyone ,, newbie on this thread ,,ran 3 marathons including paris twice, not sure about running paris next year ,, but im looking for somewhere safe on the internet to hang about and talk about poo ,, a "friend" recommended this site ,

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

LOL scott! Yes, you're new to the 2015 thread but we know who you are. Fyi everyone else...this is the scott you've been warned aboutimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Londoners interested in meeting up on the 25th before the bupa 10km. Meet up is 9am, under the B in the a-z runners meet & greet area. Put it in your diaries and look out for stool flags and general mayhem. Pm me if you want more details. 

• Yay!!! Taper time! Last long run completed for Comrades today - 5 laps of Richmond Park topping out at 37 miles. Ably assisted by Radar Sal and another running friend who paced me round.

Only downside is I'm now stuck on the sofa and can't even be bothered to move and change the channel - and it's the Eurovision Song Contest image
  • radar Sal wrote (see)

Londoners interested in meeting up on the 25th before the bupa 10km. Meet up is 9am, under the B in the a-z runners meet & greet area. Put it in your diaries and look out for stool flags and general mayhem. Pm me if you want more details. 

Radar Sal wrote (see)

LOL scott! Yes, you're new to the 2015 thread but we know who you are. Fyi everyone else...this is the scott you've been warned aboutimage

bollocks,,, i knew i shouldve changed my name as well

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Awesome stuff RR - well done you, enjoy the taper!

Quick spin around Oxford tomorrow, Town & Gown 10k....could be wet and windy

• Well done, RR!

Eurovision: The music contest Europeans say they hate but secretly love.
  • Andy-W Not sure what is "Pseudo London Underground" about the Paris Metropolitain system, so I did a quick fact check (I've always been pretty impressed at it's usability and performance when there on business):

London carries 1.23 billion passengers in 2012 compared to 1.541 billion in Paris. London has 270 stations, Paris has 303. 55% of London'd underground network is on the surface, whereas in Paris, only 8% of the network is above ground.

Maybe I am just a bit allergic to the idea that whatever is present in the UK becomes the benchmark by which other things should be judged. I've been off the island for too long maybe, gone 'a bit native'.

Am on Day 5 of a stomach bug and am rapidly approaching 'racing weight', i.e. about 5% lighter than what could be deemed healthy. Just another few kilos to go and I could be a pro cyclistimage  Horribly close to just 10st now but I think just a little bit more starvation and I should be raring to get better. Yay!

• Ah but which is older? By many metrics you could argue NYC to be the benchmark. Twinned lines would have been a great idea for London with the benefit of hindsight.

On the subject of metrics, without a doubt my favourite Arnie quote is "Of all the awards I have received, I can say without doubt that this one is the most.... Recent" image
  • TD - The Metro is just nicer. Is that because it mostly doesn't feel so deeply underground? I'm not sure. The tiles are better and those lovely art deco exteriors. But then I'm Paris over London for most things.

Hope that lurgy goes soon - 5 days is a long time for a stomach bug. Hopefully you will get a massive appetite surge when its all over.

RR - Wow image

acp - love that you are running a marathon on the one day without the kids!

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    TD - I was very impressed by the Paris metro system.

But what's much more important is that I got a PB at Leeds Half today knocking off 1 min 10s from last year coming in 1:42:01. (About 10 mins quicker than first half in Paris marathon this year)
  • *waves* to everyone from Paris 2014 and welcome to all new threaders.

Andy W - fantastic job with the new PB.....what is Leeds course like?  We love a race report on this thread.

RR - amazing running from you as usual....and now the taper?  Keep us updated on the madness.

Might start browsing Airbnb this afternoon. I had a lovely apartment in 16th district this year but the 7 flights of stairs became a bit tedious when the lift was broken image  Might try the Latin Quarter next as it's dead handy for a certain public house image

Signed up for my first trail half marathon yesterday.....I've got 2 weeks to learn to love those hills.....hmmmm, 2 weeks may be a bit short, non?  Good job I'm still reasonably fit from Hannover Mara two weeks ago.

• Well done on that PB Andy. 1m10s is nowt to be sniffed at, good effort! image

Thanks BM. Tried first bits of food in the last couple of hours and it's sticking. Seems the bugs are dead. Any food and my intestines were ballooning which was really painful. I feel good now so reckon I'll be eating like a horse tonight.

Picklelilly. 2 weeks is a bit soon to be fully adjusted to running hills but i suspect you'll do a grand job nevertheless. Anything to build hamstring strenth will help. For steep hills, short fast steps, lean forward, use your arms to dictate the pace of your legs (i.e. give them a good swing) and smile.... that's my advice.

Kaz and RR - how do each of you feel after your 36 and 37 mile jaunts yesterday? I just couldn't do what you do.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done on the PB Andy.

RR - good luck at Comrades! You ran it before? You usually do ultras? How much mileage you been doing in training?

I'm up to about 45mi/wk at moment. Still recovering from VLM really, takes me a long time! Went out for about 13 or 14mi yesterday, got pretty soaked.