Options

Paris Marathon 2015

Comments

• Options

HIAHS Paris details, Grey pen, bib number 51054. Sent your London 10k pack out today please inbox me when you receive it.

Getting my running mojo back for Edinburgh so hopefully the dip under 5 hours will become reality, but if not their is always next year. My charity page currently stands at £2500 for my triple marathon challenge as that is more important to me than times.

Glad to see everyone else is achieving their PB's well done to you all

• Options

Whackers - I put in the £30 sponsorship this morning and saw your total, amazing effort thus far! What is your triple marathon challenge?

• Options

HIAHS, thank you I posted out first class signed for at lunchtime today, please let me know you have received it ok. The marathon challenge was Paris, London and Edinburgh, two down one to go.. 

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Cross training is definitely the way to go.... image

Ooh, you young people with your saucy innuendo - you'll be putting Old Leeds Rob out of a job! Cross-training is great for core strength though.

First run in 8 days for me after my sickness. Good to put a few kms down without too much strain.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Cross training is definitely the way to go.... image

Ooh, you young people with your saucy innuendo - you'll be putting Old Leeds Rob out of a job! Cross-training is great for core strength though.

I was so innocent I didnt notice that image 

talking of cross training - i'm looking for one I can do with the dog where the chance of me getting dragged into the canal (again) is minimal. Any ideas?

• Options
    People were talking about cycling, Tricky. What other cross training is there?? Oimage
  • Options
    I can't do an angel face on my phone. Probably about right.
  • Options
    Good to hear you're out and about again TD.

Did a few intervals this evening, just for fun as I haven't done any in a while - been concentrating on hills. Kind of blew the cobwebs away image
  • Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

I'm running up hills for first time in ages with a work colleague in Accrington tomorrow.   As I'm reading Feet in the Clouds, I have very rosy image of myself pounding up the Coppice.   In reality, I've never once made it up without walking. Still, I can't just stick to flat ground and expect to toughen up.

The cobwebs should be blown awayimage

• Options

I've had scar tissue stripped from my hip flexors... it's supposed to make things better right now it hurtsimage

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I probably don't want to know this, but how do you strip scar tissue from hip flexors? image

Going to do my first run tonight in just over a week as the dreaded lurgy now seems to have passed. I need to give the legs a quick turn over before tomorrows 10k.

• Options
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I probably don't want to know this, but how do you strip scar tissue from hip flexors? image

It's like waxing only you pull really hard  image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

It's like waxing only you pull really hard  image

Please give me the name of your waxer so I know who to avoidimage

• Options

It involved elbows, fingers and some beeswax, and a lot of wincing from me and the physio... moral of the story, if you hurt yourself (for example doing the splits on the ice) go and get it sorted asap... don't leave it for a few months to get better on its own... that was 18 months ago, thought I should try and get it sorted properly before the next training plan commences as it was playing up in Paris, although I know it's for the best the 'massage' hurt more now than the marathon!

• Options

Sounds like you just paid to get physically assaulted Uisge Jo, in future I'm happy to beat people up for free if they want it!? image

• Options
    Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

Sounds like you just paid to get physically assaulted Uisge Jo, in future I'm happy to beat people up for free if they want it!? image

I would never pay to be physically assaulted like that Jo, not when TinkerBEL derives so much gratuituous enjoyment from seeing me suffer at her hands. She has literally made me cry in the past. Even young Jimbobby went a bit misty-eyed when she got her hands on his calves back in March. Anyway, hope your hip flexors are moving freely now.

Great to hear you are a lurgy-free-zone now Eggy. Get on the pace!!

TheEngineer wrote (see)
    People were talking about cycling, Tricky. What other cross training is there?? Oimage

Really?!? Do I have to spell it out? OK then. H - O - T    C - R - U - M - P - E - T

There. Now see what you made me do. image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Gluten free crumpet image

TD - The muscle loss during your illness, does it build up quickly due to type of loss, due to your exercise history, or just sweat and tears.  Do you have a technique of building up muscle in a short period ?

• Options

That's it. I've accepted that I am never ever going to be able to keep up with this thread. I'll just pop my head round the door and shout rude things at you all every once in a while instead.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    helterskelter wrote (see)

That's it. I've accepted that I am never ever going to be able to keep up with this thread. I'll just pop my head round the door and shout rude things at you all every once in a while instead.

Me too... image

• Options
    Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

I would never pay to be physically assaulted like that Jo, not when TinkerBEL derives so much gratuituous enjoyment from seeing me suffer at her hands. She has literally made me cry in the past. Even young Jimbobby went a bit misty-eyed when she got her hands on his calves back in March. Anyway, hope your hip flexors are moving freely now.

Great to hear you are a lurgy-free-zone now Eggy. Get on the pace!!

TheEngineer wrote (see)

Really?!? Do I have to spell it out? OK then. H - O - T    C - R - U - M - P - E - T

There. Now see what you made me do. image

I am saying nothing.image

Well. I have a number for the Brussels 20km race this coming Sunday.

But it could also be somebody else's number.

And somebody else may have the number I'm meant to have; AND that the Intergoogles confirms is my race number; AND that was printed on the quasi-convocation I gave the nice lady when I attempted to collect *my* number, but which had been conveniently misplaced when I realised they'd given me a number for the unsuspecting Kirsten Van Skorken Knorken from Denmark and had to go back and negotiate for 20 mins, showing them every piece of ID I could find in my handbag.

And somebody else may arrive to find they have no number at all anymore because the race director went into his magic computer and changed the name allocated to the number, scribbling out the person's name on their envelope and writing mine on with a flourish. 

And Kirsten Van Skorken Knorken may well find she is now called TinkerBEL.

Or perhaps TD (having so carefully organised and paid for my registration) will have 2 times registered against his name?

But I have a number. Even if I am in the VERY LAST pen now. And I wasn't supposed to be.

Confused? Me too.

What an unmitigated c*ck-up. image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TinkerBEL wrote (see)

Welcome to Belgium

• Options
    E mmy wrote (see)
    TinkerBEL wrote (see)

Welcome to Belgium

Yep. I think that just about covers it!

• Options
    TinkerBEL wrote (see)
    Confused? Me too.

HA! Sounds exactly the sort of thing that happens when I get let loose with the accounts database at work ... I like to keep them guessing! image

• Options

Cock up? Is that the sort of thing Tricky was talking about? image

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

Cock up? Is that the sort of thing Tricky was talking about? image

Again. I am saying nothing. image

• Options

Ooh behave you two. image

PC - muscle loss. It's difficult to say what type of muscle is lost, either fast or slow twitch. I have no way of knowing. I can only measure the percentage of my body composition that is fat, and the percentage that is muscle.

On the days I wasn't eating, my weight went down but my body fat percentage went up (and muscle percentage went down). That is strong evidence that catabolism was happening - the process of gaining energy by breaking down muscle protein and converting it into blood sugars.

Since I started eating, my weight has not gone up very much at all (haven't even gained a kilo yet). I did a hardish 20km run yesterday and this had the predictable effect of breaking down more muscle. I changed about 0.6% to more fat/ less muscle. But this is really because it was a hard workout.

I expect tmrw morning when I measure myself again, my body fat will have gone down, maybe between 0.6-1.0% (and muscle up a similar amount). Various effects of food and water make for some variability in all the numbers, so I am normally only interested in the long term trends. In the last month, my body fat has been between 7.5-8.7%. While I was ill, it went as high as 10.4%. When I first started training, I started around 19.6%. The lowest I have achieved was 5.9%.

Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear. But I would say this. A really hard workout will typically require up to 36hours before there is a measureable increase in muscle fibres. Making sure that I get a good amount of good quality protein within about 30mins of finishing such a workout helps to accelerate muscle healing and development. Cheers, TD.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

My recent lurgy was minor in comparison to TD's epic lurgy, but flippin heck did tonight's run hurt. Tomorrows 10k could be "fun"!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Would that be this sort of "Fun"? image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Looks about right!

• Options
    But what does all this have to do with cat bollicks?