P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

YP - indeed welcome aboard - I used the 18/70 to sneak in under 2.55 in Paris and think it was the right choice for me, although I upped the number of 20s.

Can you give us a bit of background/history - It doesn't help the training, its just we are a bunch of nosy bastardsimage

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Mennania wrote (see)

Can you give us a bit of background/history - It doesn't help the training, its just we are a bunch of nosy bastardsimage

+1 and plodder !!!!!!!!!!!!! 2:55 meeps!

• Madbee wrote (see)
    Poke-im-on! (Laugh here, please)

http://a.gifb.in/052011/1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    ....I'll get my coat.

Nice to have you Yorkshire Zoomer - 18/55 just helped me take 40 minutes off my PB, but I suspect once you get into the realms of the really speedy, upping the mileage a little becomes an advantage...
  • Madbee - just to level the playing field for P&D. I did the 18/55 and I put 7 minutes on my PB time. So much better value for money!

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Lol, Wenty, you actually will think I'm ridiculous, but one of my sillier moments mid-marathon was thinking that it was all going too fast! Sounds like you'd get your money's-worth in an ultraimage
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Love the tumbleweed image. There was tons of the stuff when we drove thru Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.

I'm too crap/old for P&D but will pop in to check on everyone's progress and enjoy our favorite discussion topic image

I only put 30 mins on my PB (embarrassed face). I still have to find out what happened 3 weeks before the marathon that suddenly made every run a slow struggle. One moment I feel comfy doing 7-15 pace the next day even 8-15 feels hard image had hoped for a miracle on the day but that never happened. Instead I struggled to stay upright for the last 10 miles. The dizziness made me take longer and longer walk breaks but I held it together till after the finish photo before I collapsed and was treated for dehydration/heat stroke image

On a more positive note: P&D helped me to chip off big chunks in 3 successful campaigns image
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

With regards to P&D I'm slightly worried... It doesn't take it to account any loo breaks* image They should train you to go 10 seconds faster per mile so you have some loo time image

* Had to come up with one way to mention our favourite subject.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Chick - it's the Boston effect! I added 20 minutes to my PB there. But like you, P+D has previously given good results. But yes, your pre-race dip needs investigating.

Nice work Madbee - I got it image And Wenturtle, that's imageimage

Had my first hyperbaric session today. It was a bit scary. And boring. And made me feel relly tired! But if it speeds my hamstring recovery, I'll suffer the other 9 or so sessions image

• whats hyperbaric seesions?

chick you are never too old or crap for P&D...

Wenturtle - I like that..... Hmmmm decisions decisions. Wenturtle, Wentoise or Wentort.

• Wentoise: does it need to just be 1, surely it could change from day to day?

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Aha .... you're all over here on the Autumn thread! image

Wenty
    ... You can't "do a Wentoise" though can you?

Apparently I'm doing Nottingham and following the 18/55 plan. image

Actually, I might try Nottingham but not sure yet. I also might do Dublin as my main race. Also not sure whether I'll do P&D again - if I do, it'll be 18/55 - but actually I think I need more LT/subLT work and less of the speedy stuff..

September 7 (Kent)
    SGB1953 - 12/55 - 3:35

September 28 (Nottingham)
    Dr.Dan - un-tapered training run
    Steve Trotter 2 - 18/55 - 3:15
    veester - 18/55-70 - 3:45
    Yorkshire Ploddder - 18/55 - 2:55

September 28 (Loch Ness)
    Night Nurse - 18/55 - 3:45
    StewartC - 18/55 - 3:45

October 5 (Chester)
    fergster - 18/55-70 - 3:00
    Madbee – 12/55 - 3:39
    xmjsx - 18/55 - 3:29

October 5 (Jersey)
    andrews148 - 18/70-85 - 2:50

October 12 (Yorkshire)
    15West - 18/70-85 - 2:50
    MileMarker – 18/55-70 - 3:00

October 19 (Abingdon)
    Just Running - 18/55-70 - 3:10
    Scott Pulley - 18/55-70 - 3:15

October 25 (Snowdonia)
    stutyr - 18/55 - 3:30

October 26 (Frankfurt)
    kease7 - 12 or 18/70-85 - TBA

October 26 (Venice)
    The Running Tortoise - 12/55 - 3:25

October 27 (Dublin)
    kevin70 - 18/55 - TBA
    Dr.Dan - 18/55? - 3:29

TBD...
    Mennania - 18/55-70 - 2:50

Nose Nowt 18/55  3:39

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I will try to get some photos in The Chamber tomorrow LFR - uploading is not my area of expertise though image

• Wentoise wrote (see)

Wenturtle - I like that..... Hmmmm decisions decisions. Wenturtle, Wentoise or Wentort.

Or a Wentapin? 

.....Terrible afternoon at work - can you tell? 

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

Today I found out that WENTOR is a Polish wholesaler of fireplaces.

• my god marrows - you must be bored!

I like it LFR but would it not be better as Wenterrapin

DR Dan I think "doing a Wenty" is a collective of all of the above names.

Scott I think you are right this could be a rolling name change sort of thing!

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Nose Nowt, Dr Dan, glad you made it to the other side image

Madbee - your joke rocks image

Marrows, your day in work must have been even more spectacularly tedious than mine. I have now learnt something today though, so thanks the the schoolin' !

Dr. Dan, you can 'do a Wentoise', but it's frowned upon in 5 countries and illegal in at least 3. So marrows was sayin' anyway.

10 miles GA earlier for me. Felt good after a tedious day in work. Now ready to eat the house. 

Wait... it appears as if I just posted about actually running. On a runners forum too.

• Wentoise: it definitely has the potential to be, some brilliant names coming from people!

5mile recovery for me today, after 9miles GA yesterday.

• I'll just plop my hat into the ring if I may.image

Abingdon, 18/55 - 3.25

(toying with the idea of Stevenage 2weeks later for giggles).

Last time out I began P&D from a standing start(injured) so hoping to build from a decent base this time round.

I'm guessing most of the Sept P&D ers have started or about to ?

• MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

8 miles tonight including first intervals session since London, in yet more rain...

If we run out of variations of wentoise/turtle/tort then there are always possible anagrams to consider.... Wine toes being one from Wentoise.....

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

I did a 9 w/ 4 LT the other day and felt like I was going to die. It feels hard to believe that I did 15k at that pace when training for London.

I do need to go to the doctor because my chest hasn't been right for weeks. A weird pain at the top of my sternum.

• MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

I've ran 3 parkruns since London and all 3 been slower and yet harder work than in the weeks  before.

Best to get the chest checked out Andrews, is the pain only when you run?

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Not really when I run, but just generally. My chest isn't working correctly though. It's hard to explain.

It's been going on a bit too long, so time for the doctor.

• maccatheknacca: see you at abbo, pretty sure most september p&der's would have  started by now, my abbo schedule starts in just over 2 weeks...scary!

Milemarker: the anagram wine toes...absolutely brilliant made me chuckle. Nice interval session too image

andrews148: hope the doctor's goes okay and its nothing too serious

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Andrews148, good call on checking things out with the doc. Sending good vibes in the meantime.

Good to see you Macca!

• I'm still in. Working my way through my first week of 18/70. My goal is to do the paces properly - slowing right down for GA, Recovery and Long runs because I think that's where I've messed up in the past. It's a pride thing...

However, I fell off my bike today, properly over the handlebars and now have an egg sized lump on my elbow! Morning 9 miler might be a struggle.

Good to see a lively gang here already!
  • FergFerg ✭✭✭

Geez veester, that's a proper hardcore 'childhood' injury. 'Course they didn't have them there fancy crash helmets back in my day. Hard as nails we were.

Helping my brother in law shift boxes in a house move today. A fine test for my ectomorphic 'muscular' runners body image image image

6 miles GA later for me in the sunshine. Hurrah!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

It has been a good week weather wise up here too, shame I've got to work through the day image, I've managed to run every day this week including a LT run on Tuesday the pace was nothing to shout about but I know it will improve as the training progresses.  I think the first week will be around 46 miles 8 short of the scheduled 54, but as I haven't been running more than 40 miles for the past 6 weeks that will be a good start to the campaign