P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread 2014

Comments

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Shane - Thanks for the info about Dublin. The reason I've thought about in the past is that it's on a Monday which is usually half term in the UK. My wife's a teacher so that might work. However, she's not a runner and whilst she's very supportive, except when I talk about running(!), we'd probably go somewhere warmer and drier if we go away that week. I hope to be following thread until then, and look forward to hearing how your training goes. P&D made a huge difference to me. 

• imageimageimageimage your wife sounds like my wife SJB1953...ive quickly estimated my paces for training..tell me what you think..

based on a 7.30 marathon pace.

long run-slow end- 9.00 per mile increasing to fast end of 8.15 per mile

general aerobic- somewhere between 8.15-8.30 per mile????

Recovery-9.15-9.30 per mile

lactose threshold- 6.40 per mile ( based on an estimated 15k race time)

Vo2 max- 6.15-6.20 or thereabouts..

Do them paces seem accurate particularly GA pace hence question marks..

All advice most welcome from all you vets imageimage
  • andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Sausageroll,

Based on a 7:30 mara pace, I calculated your paces as:

LR 8:15 to 9:00. (MP +10-20%)

Recovery 9:00 to 9:08 (10mi to hmp + 2 mins)

GA 8:38 to 9:23 (MP + 15-25%)

LT 6:58 to 7:08 (15k to hmp)

Vo2 6:30 (5k pace)

These are based on a 3:16'38" marathon and using McMillan calculator for estimated race paces at different distances.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

My 17mi this morning nearly killed me. It was straight after a 1.5hr dog walk and with no breakfast. I was gurning a bit at the end. It was a reminder how running in the summer can be a bit of a killer. Really needed a poo for the last few miles too.

Andrews - I followed that 70-85 schedule with no rest days once but I found I was just so tired all the time, and only got a PB by 30 or so seconds, so now I tend to give myself one day off...and this time I'm actually going to run the other recovery runs a bit shorter than prescribed.

Another dog walk with the family this afternoon but managed to find a pub garden to break the journey up. Now I'm really tired!

• Thanks Andrews 148 i will have a look again at my paces...maybe im pushing it a bit but my race pace for my half i did last week was 6.52 and i reckoned i should be doung my LT runs 5-10 secs quicker than that...

A 1:30 half suggests that you could go quicker than 7:30 pace  for a full. Closer to 7:14 for a 3:09 marathon.

That would mean, as you say, around 6:43 for LT workouts.

I think you'd be selling yourself short if you settled on a 3:20 target.

• Thanks Andrews148 i will take on board what you are saying..
  • FergFerg ✭✭✭
    andrews148 wrote (see)

Did a 16mi today, to make 66mi over the last 7 days. Tomorrow I'll have my last rest day until October 6th image

18x 70-85 starts Monday!

That's great weekly mileage andrews148, although not having a day off would drive me to despair. What about a modified plan with more focus on MP and LT paces instead? That day off keeps me sane image

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

1.5 hour dog walk and THEN 17 miles with no breakfast Westy?! Mentalist!! Think nutrition man!!

• MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

15 hot and sweaty miles this morning. Don't ever carry a drink with me when running but thinking that on warm days when get back to 20m+ will need to.

• Yes milemarker good idea..

what i do for long runs is stratigically stash water bottles along the route im covering before the run..works for me..
  • MileMarkerMileMarker ✭✭✭

Cheers SS, think will have to organise myself to do that as I find carrying a drink annoying!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

SS - +1 for what Andrews said. Will be watching your progress keenly. You do need to sort your avatar out though.image If its hot I will stash water too, but if its not too bad I will carry for the first 5 and that's normally enough to get me through.

I wouldn't follow a no break programme either. Seems like you are inviting trouble (but then I break down quite a bit).

Nice too see MLRs and LSrs flying in again. Nowt for me - letting my legs have a couple more days off to see if they settle.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Have to agree andrews - there's sticking to the plan and then there's flogging yourself to breaking point...

SS, I can only shed any wisdom on Menn's avatar comment, the others are far more knowledgeable on paces. Looking forward to seeing how things go for you, but, yeah, get yourself an avatar!

5 recovery miles bashed out for me tonight to complete a somewhat inaccurate week 1 of mesocycle 5.  I'm fighting with my overexuberant self and trying to remember that the recovery cycle is important and I can't just abandon half of it and jump into the 18 week plan at week 3.  How long did you folk find you needed to recover from your marathons?  I feel a little bit slow and slightly tired when running now, but not drastically knackered, and that's only a week later.  My overenthusiastic self says I'd be totally fine in another week, but I suspect that might not be factually true.  How do you know when you're recovered and good to go again??

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Madbee... post marathon, Week one - very easy 4 miles about 4-5 days post race.

Weeks 2-3 are spent slowly building things up to about 30-35 miles per week.

Week 4 sees me back at 'base' mileage of 45 or so miles per week and feeling ready for some faster stuff. So, I guess it's a 4 week mesocycle for me then.

Fight the exuberance!

• 15West- great running and the walk break at the pub sounds greatimage

milemarker- great running also, don't know how you do that distance without carrying a drink

Madbee: nice recovery run

Fergster: I have just finished week 4 of mesocycle 5 and have drastically slacked off the miles only done 26miles this week and way behind base mileage, going to have to ramp it up next 2 weeks before the p&d schedule begins again :S

Just over 7 miles for me yesterday with a park run time of 18:33. Had to sack off the run today as had the mother of all hangovers from a few too many pints at the boxing last night, what a great night it was though!

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

Scott, I'll be glad to be back into a schedule tomorrow, if only to stop me from eating anything I can get my hands on! Nice park run by the way image

• 1st week of P&D completed with 33 miles run. All good so far, only 17 weeks to go!

Good luck to all those starting their P&D schedule in the morning.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Here we are guys - beetroot juice is in fact the answer to all your running (and runs) problemsimage.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/6-easy-steps-to-avoid-stomach-issues/11654.html 

• andrews148 wrote (see)

Did a 16mi today, to make 66mi over the last 7 days. Tomorrow I'll have my last rest day until October 6th image

18x 70-85 starts Monday!

Is there no rest days on the 70-85 schedule??? sounds a bit outragous to me.... Jeas...... I cant cope with the 50-55 schedule. (I did 11 miles last week image)

How many years have you and Westy been running?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Blurgh. Made fatal mistake of going to the pub on a sunday afternoon. Blurgh.

1 week to my 18wk schedule starts, need to knock this alcohol stuff on the head (well, at least cut down a bit).

Wentoise - been running "properly" for 4 or 5 years.

Scott - nice parkrun. 

Steve - well done on your 1st week...all downhill from now on....

8mi for me today.

No, and it's a shame because they were my favourite bit of the other plans.

I started running towards then end of 2010, Wenty. Are you going to send me your details so I can get your medal off to you?

My plan started this morning with a 5mi recovery run. It's all uphill from here!!

• yep- sorry andrews will do.

So you guys have not been running long to get up to 75 mpw and no rest days - Hats off to you (he says dissapearing into his shell image)

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Can I do the pretending to do P&D thing so I can hang out on the cool thread again? image

I've just worked out that i'm not really going to be doing it at all for autumn as i'm all over the place with my races, so i'll sneak in and out and mutter the odd P&D Phrase, but will be doing a 12 week P&D plan in the Spring.

• FergFerg ✭✭✭

"Lactate Threshold Run 9 w/ 4 @ LT Pace" still makes me laugh as the first run of the 18/55-70 plan image

I'll see whether my truncated 4 week mesocycle was enough this evening.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Good luck with that LT session Fergster, and I agree what a way to start the plan makes the rest of the week look easy image

Got through a shortened first week as I'm still building a base, 44 miles for the week will look to do around 50 this week and should be back on shedule by the following.

• Gentlemen some of you have been advising me to do an avator??

What is this?? Complete novice on these forums im afraid..

starting my 18/55 plan 23rd june 3 weeks today cant wait and on the 21st ive a 10k to do in dunshaughlin (dublin suburb) a sub 40 maybe?? Would be a brilliant confidence booster for the marathon training..

Im doing the dublin marathon 27th october..is there any of you guys doing dublin this year?
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

A terrible terrible confession... something I've not done for perhaps 35-40 years.

Ahead of a race yesterday, I had to go into some bushes.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭