Options

First 100 miler

So in October I have my first 100.

i've got three ultras 69, 86 and 50m lined up in June ,August, and Sept, before the race in October. 

have others managed to do it with an average weekly Milage of something like 40 to 50 miles per week, with some larger weeks, with back to back long weekend runs.

or do I really need to up my Milage? I'm looking at something like a fast 5m, an average speed 10m plus run (alternating between flat and hilly), and a lazy 5 or 6m third run, along with 25miles plus each weekend spread over two runs, and of course some weekends  further, be it more miles or more time, sometimes it will be a 12 hour walk followed by a medium long run the next day. 

does this give me a realistic chance of getting over the line? Or do I need to a Woman up and do more miles? last is fine 29h 50m would do image

Comments

• Options
    GeeeMGeeeM ✭✭✭

Yes - that sounds similar to what I did for my first 100, (NDW100). My longest run was 60 miles, I think I averaged around 50 miles / week on a similar schedule.

Personally, I would think about dropping the 86-miler, (Ridgeway?) as that's pretty close in terms of effort to a 100, not many people DNF at that distance - it's the 60-86 mile range that's the danger area image It'll take some recovery as well - especially with a 50 in September?

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks Yidd.

Cheers GeeeM  I was thinking last week, that i've just about bitten off a litle more than I can achieve, but i'm a stubborn cow, and to be honest I think the motivation / panic of these targets will keep me going, but i'll be very cautious when i'm doing it, and will take my time and i'll be aware, that a DNF as long as it's somewhere sensible so I don't cause any hassle for the marshalls is not the end of the world going forward, and that I don't need to be a hero. If i feel an injury that I might try to run through if it's my biggest race of the year, then i'll just stop, and walk to the next checkpoint and bow out.

I'm almost thinking of them as my Biggest LSRs of the year, I had time targets for them initially but after signing up for the 100 they have mow become training runs, well the 50, and the 69 have... The Ridgeway still seems very cool and i would like to crack that image

EDIT: As you say it's not necessarily the racing of them it's the recovery that is going to be the big thing. I got an inkling at how that's going to be doing a marathon last Monday and then carrying on running to turn that into a 60 mile week. That was hard work, but i'm glad I did it.

I guess i'll have a bit more of an idea after the 69 so i'll keep all my options open image

• Options

Speaking with no experience, I am, however joining you for the 86 and the 100!  I don't know what your 50 is, but would look at that as taken as easy as possible as a LSR training run for the 100.

My first 50 is this weekend, so I'll see how that goes.  I've just done the training schedule from the book Relentless Forward Progress, which some people may read me writing this and baulk, but I had to start somewhere.

I've since learned that one should drop one of the mid-week junk mile runs and do quality 8x800 / pyramid / hill repeats.  So maybe I'll start putting that in.  I did them last year as I did you 86 over two days and I did okay with that.

100 miles is something else though.  Certainly appeared to catch quite a few people out the other week at TP100.  I guess we don't know until we try.

Good luck with it all Booktrunk and see you in August.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

See you there Richyla image exciting isn't it! and a teeny, weeny bit terrifying image

• Options

I can hardly concentrate on anything this week!  The weather is looking too hot for me this weekend, but I guess that's a good thing.  I'll just go as slow as possible instead of belting out trying to reach a time I'd probably never get and sulk about!  Will just enjoy the scenery!

Hopefully the weather will be good for you on your 69 miler - it was pretty inclement last year and it's a stunning place to be with the right weather.

• Options

I would have a look at the races you are proposing and see how they stack up against an ultra training programme. Even if you only run them at easy paces they look to me like possibly too much (or too many in a short period) even for 100 mile training.

For example, Hal Koerner in the Runner's World book "Run less, run faster" says that even for 100 mile races his longest training run is 30 miles, but he says he also enters 50 mile races to prepare for 100 mile races. He and others commonly recommend back-to-backs in say a 16-week or 22-week programme, starting with 15+10 and working up to perhaps 25+20.

But don't listen to me, I've only run 50 km once. Take a look at these ultra programmes.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks Steve image

I sent the same link to someone else to look at the other day image Yeah I might have nibbled off slightly more than was wise, oh well, we shall see.

The Sept Ladybower one might get sacrificed, as that's on a course of 5 then 3 x 15m laps I might do 20 or 35 and just call it quits at that.  I loose out on a T-Shirt but it's not the end of the world image

• Options

and, don't forget about that sprint race we have in September - a piddling 26.2 miles I know but you need to prepare for that as well image

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    There was a great training segment on Talk Ultra a couple of months back where Karl Meltzer went through preparing for your first 100.

Maybe worth a listen as he probably has more experience than anyone else.
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
  • Options

People have finished 100 milers, and even 150 milers, on 30 mile weeks.  It is not advisable, but it has been done too many times to say that it can’t be done. 

Obviously with your first 100 miler, you want to give yourself the maximum chance of finishing possible.  It is your dream at the end of the day.  So here are the questions you need to look at:

Are you training at your current level because you are likely to injure or over train yourself if you do more?  If the answer is yes, then you are better off working at your current level. 

Are you training at your current level because you don’t have time to do more?  If so then there is likely not much that you can do about it, but you might be able to increase your mileage by running to work, or getting up earlier. 

If the answer to the above questions is no, then I would suggest trying a 60-70 mile week at some point, to see how you get on. 

If you are obliged to work with a lower mileage week, then you can make up for it by emphasising quality over quantity.  Look at 100 mile training plans, and look to work in hill sessions, and speed sessions. 

You don’t live too far from me, so I can take you for a beasting at some point, if you think it might be helpful. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Nearly every week that I've gone over 50 mpw I've got injured, just little niggles but they have always lead to 5-7 days without running and In the end I average less for those months.

the exception was last week. Where I did MK marathon Monday, ran Tuesday, Wednesday, had Thursday n Friday off then ran 17.5m on Saturday and 8 sunday, for 61m for the week, my highest week, and no injuries, also walked another 10 miles, I can feel my ITBand but it's not injured, but it's saying that was a busy week image 

.... Scared a little about a beasting from you image Might take you up on that image 

So I'm going to stick with 45-50ish as what I go for on a weekly basis with the odd extra week including the three events I mentioned, and some other weeks with higher Milage or certainly extra time in my feet image

• Options

BK - forgive me if you're already doing it, but if you can fit in/afford:

Pilates, stretches, core-work, massage, foam rolling.

I force myself to the gym twice a week to do core as I'd never be bothered at home. Once I start I enjoy it.  

I wish I could afford massage more though.  I definitely had to visit the physio last week in desperation which made me 52 pounds lighter, but sadly not in weight!

All/any of the above could help with niggles/injuries.

• Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I have my first 100m in 4 weeks and I have only done 1 50+m week all year due to constant niggles so I'll let you know how it goes! ????
  • Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

booktrunk -- Firstly, good luck! image  That's quite a set of challenges you've set yourself there...  Secondly, I have a question: the distance of an ultra is a big step up from a long run, way more than 10%...  How do you not get injured?

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    XX1 wrote (see)

booktrunk -- Firstly, good luck! image  That's quite a set of challenges you've set yourself there...  Secondly, I have a question: the distance of an ultra is a big step up from a long run, way more than 10%...  How do you not get injured?

Consistent training and looking after yourself.

• Options

Well I've always banged the 'run less, faster' drum, mainly due to practical reasons (time available) but even if I had more I don't think I'd use it. 50 miles a week is a big week for me, before my first hundred-miler I managed a couple of 100km weeks (63 miles ish) but as you point out Booktrunk I think doing much more than 50 miles / week on a regular basis merely increases chances of injury.

My longest training run for the GUCR next week was the London Marathon last month...longest training run ever (before my first 100 miler some years back) was 55k / 30 something miles.

If I crash and burn before the 50 mile mark next week then this post may look rather silly, but up to now that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    WiB wrote (see)
    XX1 wrote (see)

Consistent training and looking after yourself.

booktrunk has said she gets niggles when she goes over 50 mpw...  In each of her three ultras she'll be doing 50m or more in a single run...  Just wondering...

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Xx1: well when I do them I'll tell you image 

seriously, err being careful, trying to be sensible,  lots if my miles are going to be pretty slow. In all honesty I don't know how to avoid an injury I will just keep running and see what  happens image 

some of it is bullshit over common sense, basically I just pretend I'm not hurting. My worst has been 3 weeks out, and all others I've had a week out n carried on after then. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I like what WiB said image hoping that building up sensibly will keep me from major injuries, fingers crossed. I Can feel my ITBand but it never refers to bad, just a very, very slight niggle. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

On my feet over 7 hours today, ran 13.5m than took the dog and oh for a walk for 4h 40m image that sort of training must be good image I hope!! 

• Options

Booktrunk, do you have a massage therapist?

A good one can make a difference to your training. 

I use a lady who is a lecturer at Loughborough Uni. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I did stopped going due to staff shortages at work, so struggled to find the time, got a new member of staff so hope to start again soon. I went to lough uni for them image 

• Options

If you get a good time at The Wall, you won’t have to attend that beasting with me!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

What do you class as a good time imageimage

Hoping 16-17h counts as good... But doubt it! 

• Options

The important question, is more when you can hit the 50 mile mark, because that is the point where pace falls off rapidly in a 100. 

If you can hit the 50 mile checkpoint in 12 hours, then that would be a good result. 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Ok. Thanks for that. image 

I'm hoping 11 - 11:30 and keeping going at a reasonable pace. Sub 17h with a slight hankering for sub 16. 

• Options

um, I dont know if its just my maths that is bad, but if your hoping to reach the 50 mile mark at 11 hours, then wouldnt you logically double the time for the final figure?

I must be missing something very obvious,since that would mean you would be aiming to do the 2nd half in 6 hours or so, which is the sort of second half times Jason Scotland Williams would be doing.