Venice Marathon 2014

Comments

• Hi Caroin, welcome to the thread! I too did Paris this year (it was a bit warm!!) and will be using the medical certificate but I haven't done anything about it at all yet image.

Wenterapin have you heard anything back at all after you sent your certificate off??

• no nothing heard back when i faxed my certificate off - I might fax it off again and try and email them.

not run for 3 weeks except a 10 mile run yesterday so im a bit behind schedule to say the least.

• Wenterrapin you don't seem to have found the eye of the tiger yet! When are you planning on getting on with it?!

I have just properly read the website, it says you can send the certificate through your profile that you made with Enternow.it (when you signed up for the race you were prompted to set up an account). I've logged in, hit the 'health forms' tab at the top and attached a PDF of my medical certificate. It says it is 'pending'. I will let you know whether I have any luck doing it this way!! 

• Heroine thanks for that info, I will try that!

It's funny you say about it being hot in Paris. I read some reviews after and lots of people said that, but after training here it was perfect for me. I was worried about it being 3 deg like the previous year as it never gets that cold here! I ran in 8 deg this year and found it freezing- have turned very soft- so didn't know how I would go if it was so cold.

Mind you, at least I trained over winter for Paris. Doing this over summer is much tougher. My long run yesterday was in 29 deg and 85% humidity and that was quite a cool day!!!! It is killing me. 

I just read through the thread and saw someone else is doing Venice for their 50th (sorry can't remember name) me too as I turned 50 in August, so glad there are some more mature runners also.....

• Hi Troops,

I've put my name down for this in a fit of insanity/spontaneity. It will be my first Marathon.

I've not done anything like this before but was looking for something like this, but not having to go through the rigmarole of the ballot for the VLM. Plus finishing in St. Marks Square cant be bad and its a flat as a pancake so the potential for a good time is there i'd imagine

i've been doing quite a bit of jogging and have signed up for The Ipswich Half on the 21st September, as part of the training journey I guess!

Need to get that health form sorted too!

Everyone looking forward to it?

• Hi Muckybadger, welcome to the thread and welcome to marathon running! I agree that steering clear of ballots is the way to go, I'm in the ballot for VLM and I still feel nervous even though I actually have a very cheap charity spot already lined up! image

I'm not sure it's going to be flat the whole way round in Venice though, apparently there are a lot of bridges right at the very end which is going to make it quite tough in the last couple of miles. But at least if the rest if flat then we can enjoy it until the Death Marching starts!

I am starting to get quite concerned about the medical form. I attached mine to my profile thing and they've verified it so they know it is there, but they say it isn't suitable (I think), don't know why as I used it for Paris in April. The only thing I can think of is that it isn't their own form with Venice Marathon written on it. I'm going to get a bit agro if I have to get a form filled in for every marathon that I do when they all mean the same thing! Plus my doc will start charging me which is irritating.

Do you have to have a medical form for VLM?

• Hi Heroine!

ah yes, the pontoon bridges, hopefully they wont be soul destroyers! Still wondering what sort of time I should be targeting, thinking maybe just maybe 4sub hour could be possible, but my training regime, like most of my life is supremely half-arsed.

i've had a few relatives who have lived for a long period in Italy, forms dont generally seem to be something they are too concerned with! I'm hoping that a letter signed by my mother who is a GP should suffice. From what I can see from other posts elsewhere is that a bit of bodging is often. The organisers want to be absolved of liability in case of anything going wrong to so if you falsify the form then they're in the clear anyway.

Still, Venice should be spectacular! I am properly excited! 

What are you targeting time wise?

• I think just about anyone could sign the medical form but it'd need stamping, might get myself a stamp I can use for all the marathons!!

I have no idea what to target! I did Paris in April in a spectacular 4hr 50! I have Loch Ness at the end of this month and I'm hoping to average 9:30 min/miles but it could be tricky, could end up being a 10m/miles as it's very hilly in places. I'm running with my husband on that one so the pacing is crucial and completely up to him.

I think (hope!!) I am capable of sneaking under 4hrs on a flat course but I haven't really got much to go on except a couple of half-marathons. Training was going superbly but I did a 22 miler at the weekend and I have literally lost all my running enthusiasm since then although my legs are absolutely fine, it is clearly a mental block rather than muscular.

•  

Thought the forum was quiet as I got no E-mail notifications to say anybody had posted, paid a visit and found loads of new posts and people.

I am notoriously useless at planning ahead; does anybody know the routine for getting to the start? I've read somewhere that buses are laid on but they get very busy. I’m not really into standing around at the start for ages so reluctant to get up too early. Is a taxi a realistic possibility? I think am staying on the island but need to talk to my accommodation manager (aka wife) to confirm this.

Hope every bodies training is going good/mojos have been rediscovered. I have  trained for previous marathons using 2 short hard sessions with one long run a week. (No more than 35 miles a week)This time  round I’m going for the big miles at a slower pace with the odd speed session/race thrown in. I have constantly tired legs but hopefully its doing me some good.

• Hi, Venice will be my first. Have run 3 half marathons in the last year, with 1:48 pb at the amazing severn bridge 1/2. Am looking to finish with 4hrs a bonus. Getting close now! Does anyone know the brand of sports drinks / gels to be available during the race?
  • These are good questions! I haven't got a clue about how we get there, or about nutrition. I don't ever leave my nutrition to chance, I always take my own along with my own hydration belt (two bottles) that I fill up on the way round when they need it.

Wayne - have you been practicing with a certain type of gel, had any for your halfs etc? Your half PB is perfect for a sub-4 as long as you've done the long runs in your training, hit the 9m/mile right from the off (not going out too fast) and keep going all the way, you'll get in on the 4hrs!

I ran Loch Ness marathon on Sunday, it was epic, loved every second of it and came in at 3:58:06. I've got Abingdon in 3 weeks (I did a number swap with a friend who has had to pull out) then Venice the week after (which I'll have to jog, I just hope I don't have to walk but if I do then I do, more time to enjoy the sights!!).

I hope that everyone has got their certificates signed, I tried to submit my Paris certificate which was signed in March this year but they have rejected it, so I'm off to the doc tomorrow and I hope to God that she signs it for free!

It's just the one more week of hard training for you guys, then start that taper, don't be tempted to do anything silly at this late stage! Let me know how you're all doing, it's gone deathly quiet in here!!

• 358 would be the dream. Missed my last long run today because of man flu. Will have to squeeze it in after work this week. Bad blow but better now than in 3 week's time I suppose.
  • Hello everyone. Have joined this thread as I'm seriously considering entering Venice next year as my wife wants to go there and I'd love to tie in a race.

Quick question - how does the medical certificate work? Do you submit it with entry or nearer the event?

I did Chester marathon yesterday in 3hr51m, my second. First was Barcelona in March in 4hr11 - I have improved a lot this year.

I'll have a read back through this to pick up tips on travel, accomodation etc when I get chance.

Good luck everyone, enjoy the trip and the race.

• I found out the brand is enervit
  • Saintbarca - Welcome! I hope that we'll all be able to give you some good tips when we're back from Venice in a couple of weeks!

Wayne - I've never even heard of that before, do they sell gels in England!?

Well it's 2.5 weeks til race day, I hope everyone is being sensible and starting to taper!

• HIAHS - good luck with the race. I'll be looking to book in for next year anytime from next month onwards.

• Boots do, but you have to order it in
  • Hi All, some good runs going on by the sounds of it. Looking forward to Venice now, had a few lung/breathing troubles of late but I'm hoping it will settle down in the next few weeks. Managed a 2.59.49 last wk at Barnstaple, was planning on going for sub 3 but expected a 3.05/10 doin delighted to scrape under it. That's my last long run so all short faster stuff for me now. 

I think we have to download our registration slips from there website soon, they say no slip no run so heads up!

Stay at fit and good luck.

• Hi people I'm back from the wilderness. Not much running for me.

HIAHS - I just made my own certificate up - always have done and always gets accepted. I think they just do it for insurance purposes. Mine got accepted but had to email it to them as they ignored my faxes.

• Mine has still not been accepted, I am desperately trying not to freak out because I've downloaded the one off their website and the registration checker is still saying that it's not right image  Maybe I'll email them with it rather than using the registration website thing. image

Fantastic run in Barnstaple Muzza I can't even contemplate a sub-3!

I just did the Abingdon marathon yesterday, went for it and got a pb, 3:43:43, absolutely ecstatic with that, certainly didn't think I'd have that in me as it'd get me the GFA for VLM. Somehow though I rather suspect that Venice is going to be excruciating, based on the fact that my legs are completely defunct now, wooops!

• Yes HIAHS I had to email it and it got accepted in one day - email to to email address on the form.

Congrat on abingdon marathon and I think you will be ok for venice. the first few miles may be hard then the legs will get back into it.

Muzza congrats on the sub 3 excellent work.

• Am I using the wrong form?! I can't find an email address on it at all, just a post address and a tel no. image

• Phew, I emailed them with it and they've said it is fine!

• Sorry HIAHS you are right there is no email address on the form. Not sure where i got the emai address from but its the only way that seems to work.

Do we need to show it at the expo to get our number as well? I will take it to be on the safe side as well.

When is everyone off to Venice? I am going tomorrow. You wont be able to miss me on race day as i will be wearing a union jack running top (as i do for most of my overseas marathons) - give me a shout if anyone sees me!

• Wenterrapin I will also be wearing a Union Jack vest, it'll have my name on it (Lorna), come and say hi if you see me! I'm going to say hello to everyone in Union Jack vests just because I'll know they'll be able to speak the lingo! image

• And I am definitely taking my certificate with me just in case, I don't trust their system at all!! I'm flying out tomorrow morning and back on Monday afternoon.

• Im in yellow corral

Seconda griglia

number 2626 I think.

• I'm in the slowest corral, I was a bit miffed about it as I thought I'd definitely run faster than that, but since losing my mind and entering Abingdon I will now be pleased if I just get round with minimal walking!!

• Always nice overtaking people though rather than being overtaken....

• Heroine, wow great run 3.43.43 GFA to boot! You may shock yourself in Venice. 

Best of ogf luck everyone, I'll be in 100 vest with Jim on back say hello if your about image