Venice Marathon 2014

1235»

Comments

• Say Hi if you see me,Sunderland Strollers club vest with a union jack on the back.In the yellow carral.Looks like its going to be a wee bit blowy!

• and BTW ..I nearly forgot.....Best Of Luck to everyone. image

• Hi, I am doing this marathon too. I started to read the thread but didn't read the whole thing.

this will be my second marathon, plenty of halls before.

Do clocks go back in Italy this weekend like the UK? Such an early start anyw, that extra hour will be cherished.

• Clocks do change this weekend in Italy as well as UK, Not so early a start btbh will be up early either way, hopefully full of beans and raring to go !

• Hi troops,

i'm in Venice for this one! Bit of a palava sorting out the health form, faxing emailig etc. , and then when i went and gave it in at the expo i dont think they even looked at it! 

I'm undercooked for this one due to a sore knee but will be forcing myself to get to the end to be near the hotel at least and for the run in.

dreading getting up a 5 to get the waterbus to the tronchetto for the 6.30 connection! Anyone else going to be in the same boat? (awful sorry!)

should be great fun, the expo was quite interesting to have a quick mosey around and the goody bag and t shirt look great. 

I'll be wearing my white 'in the tubing' top well behind all of you! 

• Hi Ritchie, I met you in the start, hope you got your 3:05. I thought it was hard marathon, so 3:05 would have been a great time.

• It was nice that the course was flat. Bumbled to the finish in 4:24:26, pretty happy considering the knee was caning after 4 miles and the lack of a long run punished me in the second half. 

Not sure about their pacers with the balloons though, I heard some other brits commenting on it too, the 4hr pacer was running 8.50/mile pace which was daft. They were out of sight after 9 miles and i still got through the first half under two hours.

all in all a great event, and it was a fantastic jaunt across the giant pontoon on the grand canal and along the promenade, well needed free massages at the end too!

how did everyone else do?

• Well done mucky! I had a mare as i did not think the course was flat, and seemed to have inclines and bridges everwhere. I ended up with 3:34 my slowest marathon in 2 years and 5 marathons (but i had only done 4/5 weeks training so its my own fault).

Overtook loads of people in the last 6 miles so i guess quite a few found it hard as well. Enjoyed it though and was not too upset with my end result.

• The first half was flat as a pancake, the 2nd half had the bridges at the park, which also had an uphill in it. The bridges at the end were absolutely horrific and I wasn't too keen on the slabs underfoot either, felt like cobbles! I can't grumble though, I managed to shave another 2 and a half minutes off my PB, which is saying something seeing as I only set it last week!

Well done to everyone that finished, it was tougher than I expected, that last bit was a killer!
  • Well done everyone. Is anyone repeating next year? Definitely in my plans now.

• 3:07 Well Done Ritchie Gerry.....

• Well done Ritchie, great run!

No, I won't be back for this one again. I liked Venice but not enough to wasn't to see it all again and the run was good enough but unless a group of my friends also go then I wouldn't feel the need to do it again. I have Paris (2nd time), London and Stockholm already booked for next year, and I'll also book in for Amsterdam and Berlin (if I get a place). I keep on thinking about doing a summer one in the UK but then I remember that training this year in our heat nearly killed me!
  • I wont be back for this one again either - enjoyed it but nothing special like some others. Highlight was St Marks square as expected, but with only 3 miles in Venice not really a venice marathon. Looking at doing Florence next month maybe.

Actually it ranks second to last on my list with only Amsterdam being worse (so boring i felt like I was on a training run)

I have Brighton, Portsmouth, London and Jerusalem already booked in for next 6 months

• Well done all, I agree great place to visit but seen it now. Marathon was well organised etc but 26.2 into a headwind put me off. It was a mad dive for the line in the end 2.59.56 ???? was hoping to go close or under 2.55 but the wind and last few miles took its toll. 

Few lined up for next year overseas Dubai, little rock, graveyard 100, comrades Reykjavik and hopefully Washington and new York. 

Good of luck all on your travels 

• Hi. Well done to all who took part. I've decided that Venice will be my first marathon and i've signed up for next year. Feeling a bit nervous about the training as i only started running in February and ran my first half in Glasgow a few weeks ago. But also very excited about a few child free days away with my husband. image
  • Hi Jennie,

I'm doing Venice partly because my wife wants to go so it is a good excuse. Not entering yet though.

You'll be fine to do a marathon 18 months after starting - you have a year to step up from a half. Did my first in March which was 18 months after starting running and 5 months after my first half.

• I ran my first marathon on 3 months training, starting from 0. It was hard because I was overweight tbh. I ran my 2nd marathon with 9 months training and it was a breeze, but then I had lost all the weight as well as putting in 9 solid months of running. My husband did his first marathon on 16 weeks of training and did fabulously. 18 months is sooooo much time, you'll have a ball Jennie!

Well done Muzza - it wasn't the easiest of runs, the last couple of miles in Venice were hard work with the surface underfoot, the bridges and the twisty bits, it takes it out of you!