PSOF 10th Anniversary Champs

Comments

• Nicely done HC keep biking well and lanza should be no problem. I would recommend trying to get out for a week there in the winter though, if you have not ridden it before. Really helps to concentrate the mindimage
  • Here you go..

Pre-race: booked into the YHA with Cougie, Bob’s Your Father and Ferrous Ferret. The OH then booked a hotel in Gut Draising (10 mins away) for us and the 3 mini 9’s as the middle one had completed her GCSE’s. So only ended up staying on the Saturday with the guys. Had a tickly cough so was worried about keeping the lads awake – needn’t have bothered as Cougs and BYF out snored my cough anyway!!

So early up and on the scrounge for sun block – thanks Fe Fe – force feeding of breakfast and walk to start with the guys.

Swim – 1h 40m – Hard to believe I know, but I was in the black hat group starting at 7:20 behind everyone else. So eased into the water – saw Happy Chap showing off by joining our group – at the back and stayed there for the full swim. Did UK last year and apart from the biff at the start and 1st buoy was at least amongst other swimmers edging each other on.  The water was great and sighting out to the first two large buoys was easy enough. On the return leg I could not see the buoys due to the sun, so loads of zig zagging. Entered the canal with 4 other swimmers so had a bit of a race with them until a swan decided to swim right across the front of me so stopped while it lolled past giving me the evils. Out of the water and saw the family cheering, this was great.

• Part 2:

T1 –12m - long jog to the bags, got into the tent where a young lady helper decided to rip my wetsuit off me and tip my bag out all over the floor and shoved my helmet onto my head!! Had to stop her so I could reach my feet to put socks / shoes on. Thanked her and went out to try and find my bike within the 3000 others........oh yeah! I was at the back...

Bike – 7h 5m – Only 2 bikes left in H1 so no worries there then.  Onto the course and seemed to be going ok. Had no cadence details (GSC10 must have got knocked on the journey with Nirvana) but did not want to stop to fix it. Managed to overtake a few people, but was very quiet until the pros came round for the second lap. Stopped to help a Pirate lady – Helen, sorry don’t remember the forum name, think she was Scottish!) who thought her chain had come off right at the foot of the Rupertiberg, all was ok so we carried on. Second lap was even quieter and a bit slower but managed to keep going. Happy Chap overtook me with a couple of miles to go saying she’d been trying to catch me all day. Felt pretty tired due to large amounts of sandbagging the previous day.

T2 – 9m ish – bliddy long run to rack the bike, toilet break while a helper got my bag and into the tent (hiding in case THAT helper got me again!!) Hair, lippy etc and off on the run. It felt a lot quicker on both transitions, but the clock does not lie!

• Part 3:

Run – 4h 29m – set off with a run / walk the feed stations plan. Saw the family in the park that made me feel pretty good. Picked up the yellow band and started the loops. Saw loads of Pirates and loud support on the route which was such a boost. 8 mile was the most I had ran since last year so was not sure how I would go after that distance. Surprisingly I did the run / walk plan for the whole run so was well happy with that. Sorry Barlos for not stopping and joining you as I do not think I could have started again off if I did. Had a bit of a wobbly with about 1 mile to go thinking I would not make it to the finish, but my oldest lad came and ran with me for a bit (before being dragged out by a marshal) and left me shouting ‘go dad and get to those misty showers’ just before the tunnel. Saw the showers and got a millisecond of spray before they stopped working – Oh well the finish tunnel was round the corner so came down there with a great feeling and my 8 yr old lad joined me for the last 15 metres (probs DQ’d now then!!). Met Cougs and BYF having a beer at the finish which was good too.

Total time of 13h 35m, both swim (10m) and bike (6m) slower than Bolton, but run quicker giving a 5min PB – happy with that. Great to meet more Pirates and support from on and off the course was fantastic. Sorry I missed the party, but the pics of it look like you had a great time. Oh yeah...water melons, Oarsome.

• Great reports guys!! Keep them comingimage

• Like wot BP says - keep the reports coming. I'm enjoying them muchly!

9 Iron - when it was a contender for the Pirate Champs next year I decided I quite liked the idea of Vichy so I reckon I'll be there in 2016 too.
  • Pirate reports are best written after the Piraye party... Ie still pissed at 8pm but with hangover already starting

.... The pain reminds you of the eventimage

leaving it a few days means you forget the trivia :-SS
  • Loving the reports (HC can't see yours til I get home to my laptop). 

I've never been called Helen before, and rarely been called a lady, but it was me you stopped to help 9Iron. Thank you, it was much appreciated

• Great reports everyone. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Race reports are lethal though. They really make you want to sign up so don't read them after a glass or two with a credit card in your handimage

• Pre-Race

Having visited Klagenfurt in 2007 I sort of knew what to expect. But I had forgotten how beautiful the region of Kärten was, and still is.
    The flights from Geneva to Vienna and on to Klagenfurt were great, and the bike and baggage arrived safely.

It was on Thursday morning that Little Sister pointed to my rear wheel and said "What is wrong with your wheel?", "Nothing" was the wrong answer and long story short I had to purchase a new wheel set.
    There were lots of people very happy to offer advise on this matter, for replace like for like to opportunity to get a full carbon disk etc. However I chose a cheaper option and as my results showed it was far from the worst decision I could have made.

The few days before were spend checking repaired bike, and swimming in the lake and generally chilling... which was just what I really needed after the previous few weeks at work.

Race Day

As ever I was up with the larks on race morning... I may even have beaten them to it. Breakfasted and then took my nutrition to transition and check the bike before coming back to the hotel and collecting my swimwear etc.
    It seemed like the most relaxed pre-race morning I have ever had.

Once the Streetwear bag had been dropped off it was time to go to the Strandbad for the start. Enough time for a quick "warm up" and then into the start pens.

• Swim 1:14:21

With reduced number at the start due to the new Wave start it was a lot more comfortable getting into the water and swimming away out into the lake. I was in the crowd for once and had confidence in my swimming.
    Navigation was relatively easy and I felt as I was good progress. Soon I was overtaking people who had started 5 or even 10 minute ahead. The swim was going well.. The first bouy was easily rounded and sighting to the next was as easy as the first. As I passed the 2nd bouy I noticed the boat very close in and a guy holding a blue bouy... Looking down I saw a mid swim "timing mat" under the water. The 3rd leg was not so easy to sight but know where the canal was and using the slight dip in the silhouette of trees I could make out where I was heading. As I entered the canal the problem with the new start became very apparent. The slower swimmers from the previous starts were holding us up and the faster swimmers from later waves were getting impatient. It was not a nice mix...

Swim out was soon in sight and as I came out of the water and pressed the lap button on my watch to move it to T1 I get the shock of my life... 1:14:23 for the swim!!! I have never been that fast.. (Previous IMFR 2014 1:24:44 But it set me up for a good day

T1 7:54

The run into transition was good it gave me a minute or two to think what I was doing... Pick up bag, off with wetsuit, towel off, suncream, helmet, glasses gloves, socks shoes and go...
    And that was about it... quick chat to Barley who was in T1 at the same time.. and then pick up the bike and off the the mount line..

Bike 6:03:36

The bike I knew from my little outing on Friday was going well. So I headed off on the bike course felling good. I was overtaking people on the first few kilometres as be did an extra loop to make up the distance and then settle down to the business in hand as I headed down the side of the Wörthersee. When I glansed at the bike computer and saw my speed, I was sure there was a mistake.. the computer was not set correctly with the new wheels or something...It was going too fast but as I passed the 20km marker and my bike computer was more or less agreeing I thought wow... just keep the head down and keep going. I did not feel as if I was putting in a huge effort so was not scared of pacing issues... It was just having a great day... and the weather and scenery was adding to this. The climb up to Egg was good, I just sat up and used a low gear and was at the top in a few minutes. I remembered from 2007 that the next stretch of the road was a false flat and so was not too concerned about my lower speeds on this section... soon it was back to Rossegg and Velden to stat the climb towards the Rupertiberg... Having driven the coures on Thursday I could see it all before me... climb up to Sheifling and then drop to St Egyden and then onto the hill proper. The crowds were great on that first lap as I climbed out of St Egyden and on to the hill. I was soon at the top with the mad DJ shouting at ever female competitor passing "Iron Lady"...

• The descent back to Klagenfurt did not disappoint either. All was well... the legs were good... the bike was good... as I came to the the bike turn around and the start of the second lap I check the time... 2:50:xx on the bike... It was as storming first lap..

The second lap was much the same but I did notice my times were starting to slow and by the time I climbed up to Egg for the 2nd time I was sturggling to keep my pace a bit. There was a definite headwind along that section but I was soon on downhill and the speed climbed again.

I did a quick stop in Velden to stetch out my toes and chat to mum and I was on my way again.

The crowds were still on the climbs but I was clockwatching the whole time.. trying to keep the speed up to ensure I would crack a new bike PB to go with the swim... Could I squeeze and get under 6 hours for the bike?
    The roads were just not downhill enough for that and I came into the dismount line with the clock showing a bike time of 6:03:36 still a new PB (Previous IMCH 2009 6:29:31 ) I was heading for the perfect day.

T2 7:00

Droped the bike off, picked up bag, helmet off gloves off, shoes on running cap on, number to the front and off.

Run 5:21:07

So could I do a new running best too? I could not for the life of me remember what my running best was... But I knew my IM PB was 13:07:12 that was the target to beat... I had put a lot into the bike and my stommach was letting its displeasure at my nutrition strategy know... It was going to be slow... but I was going to make it.. I have been in a worse state and made it. The first loop up onto the run course was ok I could run/jog/trot a little I was going quite well... I felt a 5 hour marathon was on the cards and did some arithmetic all looked good... but the brain was not functionning and the answer wrong... I was on schedule for the first 1/3 as I ran/walked down the lake from Klagenfurt the Krumpendorf. I was keeping off the gels and trying to take on more solid fuel. The best for me were the dry crackers which had salt... I am sure this is what I was lacking... eventually the stommach calmed down and I just keep plodding on... The distance markers kept ticking by and I was soon on my way back up to the Klagenfurt town centre... I was now on the home straight 3km to go, 2km to go, and it was time to dance up the magic carpet and stop the clock at 12:53:58 13:14 quick than my previous best in 2009 and 1:54:16 better than Nice last year. I was over the moon.

A quick beer in the athelete tent. pick up the t-shirt and off back to the hotel for a shower and then out the cheer on the next finisher.

A great race... and a great day out with you all as ever

See you in Mallorca

• Great to read this ! I'm a new pirate, encouraged to join up with you guys after seeing so many of you in and around Klagenfurt........... image

• Prelude

A couple of years ago I had my annual medical and was told I had borderline high Blood Pressure and could do with losing weight or the BP would have to be controlled medically. No real big surprise as I’ve been overweight to varying degrees for 2 decades; although I’ve run a couple of marathons and generally think of myself as quite fit, but working in London driving a desk every day doesn’t help much. Whilst relaxing on my summer holiday I come to the conclusion (after some discussion with my family) that training for an Ironman would be a good idea, help me lose weight, and give me a goal to aim for!

Fast forward 2 years and I’m in Klagenfurt about to attempt my first Ironman. Training has been sporadic over the last 30 weeks; swimming is distinctly average, biking is OK, and my longest run has been 2 hours. I’m slightly apprehensive to say the least!

Arrive on Thursday, but can’t check into the Youth Hostel for another 3 hours, so wander off to explore the Ironman Village. After 20 minutes realise I’m heading the wrong way and turn back towards the Worthersee – idiot! Eventually get to the Expo, register and have a wander about. Manage to resist buying any bling, and eventually head back to the Youth Hostel to rebuild my bike after its journey in its box.

Miraculously it’s still in one piece (actually it’s in several pieces, but they all seem to be intact pieces), so I join it all together and have a little ride up and down the strasse. Gears are not quite shifting right, have a fiddle around with them and get them a bit better but still not shifting clean – need to look at that later.

Check into the Youth Hostel, and get to the room I’m going to be sharing with Cougie, Ferret & 9Iron. Unpack and have little nap while I wait for my new friends to arrive, as they are travelling down on the Train of Doom from Munich. After a while Cougie and Ferret arrive and introductions are made. We head off again with Meldy and Podds back to the Expo, where they register, we wander about, and then head for a café to grab some food, while Ferret and Podds head off to find their bikes. Meet up with Flyaway and Major Disaster, Trogs, Scuba Trooper and Rafiki (apologies if I’ve missed anyone); and enjoy the first beer and pizza of the weekend with the evening sun shining over the beautiful Lake Worthersee – idyllic!

The next couple of days follow the same pattern - wander to the Expo, meet up with other Pirates, drink beer, eat pizza (other dishes are available – kaffee & kucken was a popular alternative!) and generally chill out. I never thought my first Ironman would have such a relaxing build up? It was so nice to be around Pirates who had completed many, many Iron distance races before; it was so easy to relax and I didn’t get nervous at all. Thanks Pirates, you are a bunch of superstars!

Had a little swim in the lake on Friday, just to get my bearings; the water was clear as glass, and I managed to find my way round to the canal entrance and have a little swim up it. Got my bike serviced on Saturday by the Iron Mechanics and it turns out my rear gear hanger needed to be straightened. With that fixed and my gears lubed and adjusted by Klaus der Mechanic, I had a little ride on the first part of the bike course along the lake. Bike was running smooth now, and the road surface was excellent – all on track.

Back to the Youth Hostel to faff about with transition bags. Cougie, Ferret, 9Iron and I double check each other’s bags to make sure we haven’t forgotten something critical; and then head down to Transition in the rain to check in, rack bikes, hang bags on the appropriate hook, get a timing chip etc. No going back now! Off to the restaurant

• Race Morgen

Up early-ish for breakfast (04:45 – not bad for race day) and get Streetwear bag ready and off we go down to Transition. Bike still has two wheels attached and the tyres haven’t exploded overnight, which is a bonus. Marmite sandwiches in the bento box, and it’s off to the Start. Wander into the Strandbad and its rammed! 3000 athletes all trying to find somewhere to change, find a toilet and get to the beach; and tons of spectators milling about too.

Queues for the loos are ridiculous, so decide to save the pee for the lake! Managed to squeeze into my wetsuit, drop my streetwear bag back in the Irondome (not a dome – just a really big tent), back to the beach. Have a little splash in the warm up area, bump into Rafiki and wish each other good luck. The pros are off and it’s getting closer to my start time of 07:05. I try to head into the holding pens, but there is no clear way in and the crowds of adoring fans are getting in the way.

Eventually get into the holding pen, and watch the wave in front head off. Amazingly I’m still not nervous, which is a real surprise to me. At the Outlaw Half last year I had a minor panic attack before the start, and that was only a Half Iron distance race! 07:05 comes round quick enough and the moment I’ve been thinking about incessantly for the past two years is here – I’m about to start my first Ironman!

• Der Swim

I stay to the left, and hang back to try to avoid most of the traffic; but it seems that there a lot of crap swimmers in the M45-49s, and it’s still fairly crowded. Quite a few guys doing breast stroke, and I’m finding it difficult getting into my rhythm.

The first 400 metres weren’t too good. My swimming is mediocre at best, but this was pretty rubbish. My goggles kept leaking, my breathing was way too fast and my heart was beating thirteen to the dozen. I had to stop a few times and switch to breast stroke a couple of times to calm my breathing down. Eventually I got my head together, slowed my stroke right down, and slowly it all came back together – just as I heard the next wave start!

After my crap start the first leg out to the turn buoy were fairly uneventful. Got swum over by guys in red hats a few times, and it was quite crowded, but just kept plodding on close to line of buoys on my left. Happy to get to the turn, and then the women in their pink caps started going past. Made it to the 2nd turn buoy, and by now I was comfortably into my stroke, and feeling OK. Checked my watch and I was well under 40 minutes for the first mile – I’ll take that, thank you very much! 

Heading back to the canal I couldn’t see thing with the sun directly in front of me, but I followed the crowd, and was making progress. Unfortunately that progress was way off to the right, and after a few hundred metres I realised I was 50 metres off course and so I had to readjust. Soon at the canal though and then the fun really began.

Compared to the crystal clear wide expanse of the lake, the canal was cloudy, full of silt and very, very crowded. By now the older chaps in the black hats had started to come through, and it was general chaos. Hands and feet everywhere, people suddenly stopping to put goggles back on, weird mutant scissor/frog kicks that appeared from nowhere.

Slowly, slowly we headed up the canal, until I saw the little wooden Tyrolean house that Cougie had pointed out the day before “very Austrian that house!”. So I knew the Seepark Hotel and the finish beach were only a hundred metres or so away; and then through a gap in the trees there it was – the Cheesegrater Hotel. Head for the beach only to get sunk and hit in the head by some Neanderthal in a black swimming cap; goggles knocked off and I’m not happy! Only ten metres to go though, so I head to the finish, and the waiting Helfers ready to drag me out of the water. Luckily no-one tries to hose me down or push me back into the water (Save the Whale, Save the Whale!), and I’m out in 1 hour 27 minutes – not bad for a 2.6 mile swim. Off I wander to T1, stripping my wetsuit to the waist as I bimble along.

• Das Bike

A leisurely transition where I thoroughly dry my feet, put on pre-talced socks, comfy bib shorts & Pirate cycling jersey. Plenty of chamois cream downstairs and sun cream up top and I’m ready to go 11 minutes and some change later.

Out into the bike park, and surprisingly my bikes not the only one there – result! Being a slow swimmer I’m usually a lonely figure in T1, but the wave starts help and there is plenty of company for my trusty Ribble. Out to the mount line, and I’m off, picking a path through the wobbling masses who seemingly can’t clip in without riding sideways. Wave and “Arrrrgh” to the Pirate support at the 1st 360 turn and I’m off for a lovely long ride through the scenic majesty of Carinthia.

It all nearly goes horribly wrong at the first feed station, where a bottle launches of out the rear carrier of the guy in front, and I have to swerve to avoid it. A helfer runs out behind me and hoofs the offending bottle into the verge to save anyone else getting caught out. A left turn and we are riding alongside the lake heading for Velden.

'Breathe', 'relax', 'don’t go mad', 'take it easy', 'spin the legs' are my mantras of choice and I’m enjoying the bike; after all it’s my favourite bit. The bike training has gone OK, and I’ve got some good long solo rides under my belt, finishing with a century that felt comfortable a couple of weeks ago. I pass a few people, but keep my effort low, and the miles are ticking by.

As we head for Velden I see a lady in front whose race number is obscured by her rain jacket, and you can only see her name. “Monika, you can’t see your number” I tell her as I pass by. “You can’t see my number or your number?” she replies. “Your number Monika, its hidden by your jacket!”.  “Ah Danke” she replies. Why, oh why, would I tell a stranger that I can’t see my own number? Numpty!

The bike continues as it started – I’m taking it easy and the miles are ticking by nicely. The sun is shining, and the forecast rain is holding off. I’m slowly passing people and then I see a Pirate ahead – its Trogs, and I give her an “Arrrrgh” as I pass and wish her well for the day. A few miles down the road and I see Meldy. “Give me a P, give me an I, give me an Arrrrgh” I shout and she Arrrrghs back. She soon passes me again as I stop to get the water from the Feed Station bottle I’ve picked up into my bidon, but I’m past her again and off onto my way soon enough.

The bike course is stunning, and I’m loving it, loving it loving it – to paraphrase DJ Pied Piper. The miles are flying by, the hills aren’t as hard as I thought, and I’m slowly picking people off, even though I’m taking it steady as she goes. Cougie comes wizzing past after about 40km, and we exchange greetings; nice to see my roommate doing well with his new pointy helmet and disc wheel! Then just after Rupert the Hill, I hear the helicopter and motorbikes and Marino van Hoenackers  flies by. I wait for the 2nd male pro, and wait, and wait, but it’s over 20km later near to the turnaround at 90km that the second place guy comes past.

Round the 360 turnaround at halfway, and I’m surprised to see Rafiki amongst the Pirate support crew – that’s odd? Start off on the 2nd loop and I’m waving to the crowds, high fiving small children, chatting to other competitors, and generally forgetting that I’ve got another 90km to go. I soon pass Ferret on the way past the lake and he gives me the traditional “Crap Swimmer” as I pass by (he’ll get his own back on the run when he catches me again).

The res

• Die Run

T2 was an even more leisurely affair than T1. I walked my bike into the Bike Park, racked it, removed my Garmin, salt tabs, and pain killers for the run. Thanked my trusty bike for a job well done, and off I bumbled towards the change tent, removing my bike shoes as I went, as my left foot was being a bugger. Stopped for a pee, but put my shoes back on first, then promptly removed then again after.

Stripped down in the tent and got my run gear on; Pirate shorts, Monaco and Visor. Tried to tape my right foot which is prone to blisters under the arch (unlike my left which never blisters – go figure!), but failed as the tape wouldn’t stick, so slathered on plenty of anti-chafe instead. Fresh socks, shiny new running shoes, sun cream, a chat to Barlos, and I’m off – nearly 17 minutes later (do you think I was trying to put off the marathon?). 

As I left T2 there was a crowd of screaming teenage girls going wild. I looked round to see if One Direction had appeared behind me, but I was alone; obviously Pirate fanaticism has spread to the continent!

First part of the run was OK, sticking to my pre-race run/walk plan. Run a mile and walk for a minute after the mile beeper goes off, walk the aid stations. Drinking water and coke, and sponging myself down to cool off seemed to work for the first hour and I’d covered 5.5 miles – not too shabby! Crowds were enthusiastic and the support from other Pirates was great. Always someone to see to help on their way with a “Go Pirate” and get an “Arrrrgh” back in return. Flyaway was flying and it looked like she was on track for her Sub 10 she was after.

During the 2nd hour it slowly started to unravel. My heart rate was low (120-130 bpm) but my heart felt like it was trying to beat its way out of my chest, and my stomach was starting to revolt. The walks were getting longer and the runs shorter (no not that sort of runs!). Eventually I had to concede defeat, and to avoid the dreaded shart; I decided to walk only for a good 10km. I also stopped drinking water as I felt hydrated enough, and the water was just sloshing around contributing to the stomach cramps.

So I continued on; drinking coke and dousing myself with water. I’d completed my first lap now, and was the proud possessor of two armbands. I carried on my way, chatting to fellow shufflers, thanking the crowds, Arrrrghing and waving as I went. Played the odd game of ‘spot the armband’, ‘dodge the vomit’ and slowly things started to turn around. After my second lap (walking all the way) around Krumpendorf, my stomach started to feel relatively normal, and I braved some little jogs. Soon the walk/jog/shuffle turned into a better semblance of a run/walk and I realised I might still make it under 14 hours (my A: time target – C: Just Finish, B: Sub 15 hours, A: Sub 14 hours).

As I ran back along the canal into Klaggers for the 2nd time I was feeling OK. Passed Podds who was looking less OK and noticed she only had her 1st armband so she had a way to go. Wished her luck, but as it turns out it was not to be her day; shame as I know this was officially her last Ironman. Round the Lizard for the last time and back towards the Finish and the glory of my 1st Ironman! Caught up with Cougie going through the park for the last time and we walked the last 500 metres together which was nice. He was hurting but it was great to be with my roommate who had been such a calming presence in the last few days.

Finally to the beach front and there it was – the Finish Shute and those words I’d been waiting to hear for the last two years “Nigel Whitlock-James, You…are…an…Ironman!” Fan- bloody-tastic. There were many times when I had doubted my abilit

• Aftermath

Crossed the line, waved and grinned.
    Lovely Austrian lady gave me big heavy medal.
    Cheered Cougs across the line for his 10th Ironman finish – amazing!
    Beers (alcohol frei) with Cougs and 9Iron, who finished just after us; as man opposite retched and hurled (nice)!
    IronDome and meet up with other Pirates (Ferret, Garr’s Mate Nige, Meldy - other varieties of Pirates are available, apologies if I've missed you out).
    Spoke to my wife and children – they had seen me cross the Finish Line on the live feed, and my phone was already ringing in my Streetwear bag when I collected it.
    Collected bikes & bags, hobbled to Youth Hostel.
    Shuffled back to Finish to see Trogs immortalised for all time as last Finisher.
    Fireworks!!

Klagenfurt is stunning, and the Austrians really get Ironman; they embrace it and make it exceptional.

After a fitful sleep Monday brought the Pirate Party. Surprisingly enough I got the ‘Lost in Transition’ award for a combined time of 28 minutes and 33 seconds – Comfort is King as they say! It was so nice to sit and enjoy the afternoon with all the other Pirates, old and new. Being onboard the Pirate Ship of Fools for my 1st Ironman was brilliant, and one I hope to repeat. The atmosphere was so relaxed, I could just sit back and enjoy the whole experience; something I would have struggled to do on my own.

Back home for a few days now, and I’m still grinning like an idiot. Wore my finisher t-shirt to pick up the boys from school on Tuesday, and my youngest promptly named himself ‘IronSon’. 

Ironman Austria 2015 has been a special time for me – thank you Pirate people – you rock!

• Das Bike (Cont)

The rest of the ride is uneventful. Drinking water mixed with hydro tabs regularly and taking a slurp from my gel bottle every half hour, salt tab every hour, the occasional bite of Marmite sandwich and polo mints every once in a while seems to be doing the job. Stomach is under control, legs feel fine, breathing and heart rate are easy and steady; apart from the hills where I just get to the top as quick as I can, staying in the saddle and driving the legs to keep momentum.

I pass plenty of people on every hill, and they honestly are easier than I thought. Downhills are fun when you are gravity assisted like me, but on the flats I’m passed by a few people on TT bikes where they have the weight/aero advantage. Pass a couple more Pirates on the 2nd lap; Garr and Barley, as well as other guys I recognise from the Ironman Journey Facebook group.

I can honestly say I loved the bike apart from the last 25km when a pain started on the outside of my left foot, and niggled, and niggled away until the finish. Avoided any trouble, although I saw plenty of cards handed out for drafting to guys ahead of me. I just rode my own race and had fun!

• Die Run (Cont)

Finally to the beach front and there it was – the Finish Shute and those words I’d been waiting to hear for the last two years “Nigel Whitlock-James, You…are…an…Ironman!” Fan- bloody-tastic. There were many times when I had doubted my ability to finish this challenge, but funnily enough not today; today I was sure I would become an Ironman, and now I was.

• Sorry it's slightly jumbled and out of order, but obviously there is a word limit on a single post!

• Great reports, I love reading them.

I'll try and find time to write something this weekend.

• Fab reports - very enthralling! 

BYF - I never doubted you becoming an ironman - very well done

ISW - brilliant PB, cracking time

• Fantastic reports. Keep them coming in. All very inspirational.

• Brilliant report BYF, your first will always be special, and Austria is a great race. Well done

ISB, game on for mallorca? That will get you training!
  • Bob, that was an epic report .... oarsum  image

• Great reports ISB & BYF. 

I want to get typing but still waiting 'til I'm home - I'm not trusting it to t' iphone. 

I think we got near perfect weather on race day. It's been 30+ degrees every day this week, which is a wee bit warm

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Loving reading the race reports image