Eden Project Marathon

Hey image

I'm doing the Eden Project Marathon later this year. I'm new to running, and I'm not sure my ideology behind choosing this race, but it ticks two boxes - my first marathon, and somewhere I'd like to visit.

I'm just wondering if anyone has completed this marathon in the past, and what type of terrain am I to expect; to help with my prep. Also is it likely I will be last in a field of just 300? Should I have selected a more mainstream race? Will I be the only amateur in a field of professionals? 

Thank you.

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I did this one 4 years ago, and I don't think much has changed since.

The course is challenging with plenty of ups and downs. Terrain is a mixture of tarmac and trail. The scenery is amazing, from lunar china clay quarries to a lush green valley.

Dunno if you'll be last because you didn't give a time but I wouldn't worry. It's not a field full of emaciated racing snakes and there are plenty of real ordinary people who are slightly apprehensive. I did it in 4 hrs 30 something and was nowhere near last.

It's a cracking event in a fantastic setting. The year I did it we got a medal the size of a dinner plate, if that motivates you image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

And a pasty. And a beer image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Brilliant race. I did it in 2011 and will be back this year.

Hilly but very scenic. And the pasty and pint is a bonus.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think entry to the domes is included with the race entry so you can have a look around after the race.
  • So glad this was the choice for my first marathon now image

Did the Great Manchester Run, and have the Southport half as the next step before this one. I've really fallen in love with running.

The medal, pasty, and beer are all motivating factors haha. But the scenery is the real reason, I rarely run on roads (even though I'm new) I love running with something pleasant to look at, instead of cars. I'm from Manchester so it's a fair distance to travel, but it'll be worth it image

Thank you for the responses.

ps. Any pictures of this medal? Really intrigued.

• This is a fantastic event. I did the half marathon in 2011 and judging by the terrain of that, Id say that the marathon will certainly be challenging (but also definitely a lot of fun!). Well marshalled, great last mile, massive medal that weighs about the same as an articulated truck, and the pasty and pint after the race hit exactly the right spot.

The field for both full and half marathons were full of your average club runners and running enthusiasts. Sure, there are some seriously quick runners in there, but the majority are there for fun, so coming last is not something you'll need to be worrying about. You definitely wont regret doing Eden!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Did we mention that you get a pasty and a beer afterwards? image

• Green PeteGreen Pete ✭✭✭

Did it last year and only a week after i did the Munich marathon and it bloody killed me. It's a tough but kinda enjoyable course, had a bit of heavy rain at one point but don't let that put you off..

• Thank you for the responses, I think I'd get on quite well with Muttley he seems to have similar priorities image

All the feedback is positive, which can only mean I selected a great run as my first marathon. Really looking forward to the challenge, and as time isn't currently a motivator for me (as I have no PB's) I can just slow my pace when the going gets tough and appreciate the scenery image

• haha, added bit of pressure there Darren. Finding it hard to get out at the minute, due to grass pollen crippling me. Hopefully I don't lose ground.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate them image