Any smokers on here? What are your best times?

13»

Comments

• You'll be an ex-smoker before you know it!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Keri Ashworth-Beaumont wrote (see)

perversely I gave up and my 10k time at bupa 10000 the other week saw an increase of 6 mins 25 secs! Go figure! 

There we have it.

Irrefutable proof that smoking is in fact good for you.

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

allen carr's book has just arrived to, shall read during my lunch hour instead of a run methinks.

• mtbrDotmtbrDot ✭✭✭

I think no one mentioned that:

there were studies of smokers on how much smoking affects VO2max. IIRC smoking takes 2-7% off VO2max, depending on years of smoking accumulated and how much cigs a day. Since I am a bad runner I'd rather not share my VO2max with smoking. Smells bad too... image

Easy to google.

• I stopped smoking in December 2012 by going cold turkey. Not touched one since.  I still get cravings now and then but they last a couple of minutes and that is it. i really cannot think of a good reason why i ever started in the first place and feel all-round healthier since i quit.

Do yourself a huge favour, quit smoking. The first couple of months are rough but it is so worth getting through them.

Good luck!

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Forked out £260 for the Alan Carr course.  Did it on Friday.  Currently 36 hours without a smoke.  Not as easy as the course literature seemed to promise, but it is getting easier for sure.  Hope it improves my times.

• Basher - well done and good luck getting quicker.

Reading this thread has inspired me to stop smoking now, this morning. Was on about 10 a day having smoked for the last year and a half. On and off for about 15 years.

Let's see how things go!

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Best of luck fatboy.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Basher.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My experience is similar to GazMorris in that I also had a "big switch" moment.

I started smoking at 11 and smoked around 10 a day. I smoked by last cigarette during my last break at work one day, and simply couldn't be bothered to go to the shop on the way home to buy more! I had been a smoker for almost 15 years by then.

I had given up several times before that, but had only ever managed a week or 2 at most, even with aids such as patches. This last time, it wasn't planned and I had no patches or gum. I can't explain what made the difference this time... I just did not smoke anymore! That was 4 years ago now and I am glad that I stopped. I never even think about smoking anymore and have not had any cravings since the very early days after I stopped.

I wasn't a runner when I smoked so I can't really offer much in terms of the original question but I just wanted to share my quitting story. Everyone is different and what works for one won't necessarily work for someone else, but I think the key thing is that you have to WANT to give up be ready to do so, whatever method or aids you then use to help you.

Well done Basher on taking the step to quit, and good luck!

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Good post Kerry Dixon.  (are you named after the footballer cos I'm a Luton Town fan, too young to remember Kerry mind).  Not sure about Colin's post mind.  A bit too patronising and self congratulatory for my liking but thanks for your input.

Well 5 days now and it is getting easier and easier.  Long may it continue.

• Basher, well done and the best of luck to you! I hit my four week nicotine free milestone on Monday. 

I haven't seen any improvement at all yet, in fact, my asthma has worsened and I'm all phlegmy too. Nice. I am reliably informed that that is my lungs getting rid of the crap. 

Current PBs stand at:
    5k: 24:21, 10k 50:33, half: 1:50, marathon 4:12. I'm gunning for PBs in all of these distances this year. 

I think the topic is a really fiery one - especially if you think that one cigarette will kill you, but not only you - the people around you too. I don't. I don't think it helps and it certainly increases your chances of getting lung cancer but honestly, so does everything else. Why have the numbers of smokers decreased in the last decade but instances of asthma and respiratory issues increased? There are figures on the internet, have a google (short lunchbreak, no time to cite, sorry)

So, smoker or not, drinker or not, happy running to everyone. Hope your Wednesdays are going well. 

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Well done Suze.  6 days now.  Haven't done that long in 9 years.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.