Options

Ye old helmet debate

13»

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Snap! wrote (see)

Have you watched how cyclists swerve when they turn their heads to look behind? You wouldn't ride a motorbike without mirrors. What's the difference?

No I don't swerve looking behind and as I race in a bunch it'd be dangerous if people did.   I rode scooters and motorbikes for about 20 years and mostly without mirrors - modern sports bikes might all have them but it wasn't the case in the past.   

• Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

And you sound like a proficient rider, but that's not the case with everyone. I'd say that about the same proportion of people are crap at cycling as are crap at driving. I don't think that the fact that motorbikes didn't have mirrors twenty years ago is at all relevant anyway. They do now. I wouldn't ride a motorbike or drive a car on the road without them. It would be an utterly mad thing to do. 

• Options
    All cars have mirrors. Doesn't mean that they use them though. image
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Good point.

Anyway - just saying.

• Options

Everyone should just stick a pony tail out the back of their helmet and wear a pink top.  I always get given a wider berth if I am wearing my bright pink gilet.   I do also get beeped at however - but that happens whether I am running or cycling so must conclude I look good (image).  

The 'pink' effect doesn't work on everyone - there is a very notable exception which as a woman it really pains me to mention.  Women in big jeeps don't appear to have much spacial awareness.

• Options
    Now is that a woman thing ? Often in the supermarket you find women blocking the aisle with trolleys - seemingly unaware of others.

Maybe men are as bad but don't shop as much ? I don't know.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Is it a coincidence that shopping trolleys also have no mirrors?
  • Options

cars have mirrors but that doesn't seem to make any difference to how they overtake a cyclist and cut them up........image