manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• Hey RRR - I was wondering if you'd be back for another crack at it. I'm going for the sub 4 again - got tantalisingly close last time with 4.10 so fingers crossed... I'm going to do the same plan i followed last time i think - the Hal Higdon Intermediate II. Not sure if you remember, but that's the one where you do two big runs at the weekend with Saturday's mileage being half the distance of Sunday's LSR to get your legs used to running when they're already tired (ie max was 10 miles on Sat and 20 miles on Sun). Was tough at the time but my legs definitely kept their strength for longer during those last few miles and i walked substantially less than the previous year.

Just back from family holiday to Lanzarote and after a generally manic and over-indulgent August, I'm heading out later for my first run in almost four weeks. Am extremely nervous image

• welcome back robin. image

• Hi Kirsty

Similar race goals then! I think my approach needs to be centred around pace rather than worrying about my training mileage on the whole. Will probably pinch bits from the P&D plan from last time but drop the shortest run in each week so I’m doing 4 rather than 5 (I tend to run once at weekends and do my long run on a Monday night)

My problem the last 2 times has been probably running a bit too fast in training and certainly going off far too fast in the race itself, resulting in a complete loss of steam at around the same point in both years at around 18-19 miles (the bit where you head out of Sale and out toward Carrington). I need to stick with the pacer for longer and conserving more energy for the latter stages, although admittedly I finished a lot stronger this year

I have to confess that my running kit went to Florida with me much to Mrs RRRs dismay although running in that heat/humidity was a struggle and was a case of “ticking over” rather than anything more serious followed by longer sessions in the pool

Good to see some familiar faces, RedPanda from a couple of years ago is running Chester and hoping to do Manchester again next year, having missed 2014 through injury

Sounds like you’re going well Pete, lets hope the transfer window does the same for our team!

• Falcao and di maria  image 

3 5 2 image

louis van gaal image a man with a plan. image

• Hi Robin,

Have you seen the Asics plans on this site:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx

Last April I used the 3:30 plan but tailor the times to the sub 4.  so for my long runs I typically ran them at 10:20 to 10:40mm.  I am using the same now but have switched from the 3:30 to the 3:00 but again tailored the running times.  so my long run pace is now around 9:20 to 9:35 and rather than running 7 days I have upped from 5 to 6 days for the last 5 weeks of hard running.

good luck with the half pal.

• Pete Holt wrote (see)

Hi Robin,

Have you seen the Asics plans on this site:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx

Last April I used the 3:30 plan but tailor the times to the sub 4.  so for my long runs I typically ran them at 10:20 to 10:40mm.  I am using the same now but have switched from the 3:30 to the 3:00 but again tailored the running times.  so my long run pace is now around 9:20 to 9:35 and rather than running 7 days I have upped from 5 to 6 days for the last 5 weeks of hard running.

good luck with the half pal.

Cheers Pete, I'll look into that, plenty of time to have a think before the training begins, the groin is still playing up but they reckon it's psoas rather than groin related which would explain the odd back problem too. A case of core strengthening and stretches to ensure it doesn't become an issue

• Hey Robin!  Good to have you back my fellow Timperley plodder! Hope you have had a good summer of running since the last Manchester experience?!  Ill likely be back in Manc again next april assuming i dont get a London place, and gunning again for that elusive sub 3:30.  Should be a little easier this year as I've had a solid 6 months of racing and training since then and if the P&D goes well again for me over winter then it should be well within my grasp next year.

Hopefully by the time training properly starts we can be loud and proud about our beloved reds again!  What a summer its been eh?!  Not the united way with selling Wellbeck and bringing in expensive loan "stars" but i guess thats the way footy has gone these days.

Anyone doing Salford 10k on Sunday?

John

• Hi magic, not doing the 10k. i have a 20 miler the day before, so will probably be there with my club, but not running.

are you running?

• aye im running. was planning on a pb attempt but ive had a really tough couple of weeks at work where ve not slept much and not eaten proper meals so right now ill just be happy to finish. ill see how i feel come Sunday

• good luck tomorrow magic

• will hqve to catch up for a couple of long runs in winter Pete if youre Chorlton based.   Your times are pretty identical to mine and your only round the corner

• message me nearer the time pal.

• Hi all, I just seem to be sore in so many places. Sore neck, sore calf, sore foot. Took a week off last week to just rest. Last two runs have been a slog! Think I'm just going through a bad patch and feeling grumpy so give me a boot up the behind and tell me to get on with it! HM on the 5th Oct and dreading it... image

• Hi big, I am tempted to say "man the fuck up" but I wont, I'll instead say "sort it out soft lad".  image

If you have taken a recovery week and unless I am wrong you are not exactly at a high mileage point in your training you may have a small problem.

look at our diet are you eating enough and are you eating enough vegetables.  Vit c and zinc tablets  is good for your immune system.

nutrition timing: are you eating enough protein/carbs directly after training.  do you stretch after training and foam roll.

what is your sleeping patterns like? If it is a bit shit try herbal remedies from the health shop.

you may just need a sports massage.

the last thing I can think of; is are you strong enough.  do you do gym strengthening work on your hips, calves, glutes, core and hamstrings.

• Lol......'man the fuck up' is more appropriate!. Love you question, am I eating enough..... you seen my user name!!

Average mileage around 25 miles a week but also a postman so on my feet a whole lot more, don't do gym work but calfs and glutes get a proper workout through stair climbing, reckon my job offers a different kind of cross training. 

All my pains are down the left side and I'm very left sided in everything I do, there's nothing really to worry about, I just need a boot up the arse!

Having physio on my neck/shoulder at the moment and the other issues I think are just related to that. 

I'll man upimage

• Just out of interest, are sports massages worth it?

As some will know I had some groin pain/issues during training for Manchester marathon this year, presumably brought on by stepping up from 4-5 runs per week and trying to complete P&D programme but I went to a "regular" physio which was enough to get me though the training although some of the pilates and stretches I was given don't seem to have made much difference moving forward

It's nowhere near as bad as it was but it's still not 100% and the psoas diagnosis comes from the fact there is a clicking noise on movement. I can run and train but do have more stiffness and a bit of soreness than I've had in the past

Rollering etc does make some difference, perhaps it's just old age but I wondered whether the sports massage might be more specifically targeted at the sporting problem areas

Would like to get a bit more comfortable prior to ramping up again for Manchester in the new year but resting hasn't made much difference

• rockinrockyrobin wrote (see)

Just out of interest, are sports massages worth it?

I'd say so if your in heavy training can make a difference.

image bigeater postie as well, well err work for the post office do HR stuff. Do you use a sack or a tolley? 

Could the pain on your left could be work related? Might be worth while asking the physio if they say it could be, worth while getting a referal to atos?

• Hi cake, I use a bag and yes over my left shoulder. If I'm active, ie running or working its not as bad, it's more when I'm idle or just sitting around watching tv etc. Physio is helping, have different exercises to do and when I go to physio on Thursday I've to go in my running kit and run on the treadmill because he wants to see how my posture changes when running as running seems to help with the shoulder/neck. 

• Hi Robin,  yes I recommend sports massages.  work well for me.  the only thing I would add is that you go to a sports physio.  I have noticed a big difference when changing to a sports physio from a normal physio.  just google 'sports physio in manchester'.

there is one in Didsbury who has good reviews from runners in my club but I go to the one in worsely.  Alex the physio I use works with team gb and worked with mo Farrah pre the euro champs.

• Cheers Pete, I think the main guy at Cheshire Physio (where I went last time) deals with the sports related side of things plus he's a runner

Falls into a new year in terms of the company health plan so I might as well take advantage, been meaning to get a gait analysis done as I'm not sure that my running style might ultimately be the cause of my problems

• Hi Robin,

it is expensive that gait analysis, and for me the problem was much simpler.  the problem was a had a shit running technic.  I paid 200 quid to solve a problem that I ended up resolving by watching 10s of you tube videos to understand what is good running form. I used to run sort of crouched with low hips resulting in my knee pain.

if this is not something you have heavily considered maybe look at your actual running form first.  As said this may be something that you have already considered in which case go with the gait analysis.  good luck pal.

• You might be right Pete, sometimes it feels like I'm over-compensating on one side and that's why the other side gets a bit sore/stiff at times, almost running to one side or leaning to one side

Might have a bit of a try on some of my shorter runs to see if I can get a better running posture and technique

I've got a couple of new stretches to try for the hips/psoas and having gone out and done 11 miles last night in the build up to the HM, am not feeling too bad this morning

• I have read/continue to read and watch a lot of things about running technique, increasing cadence, reducing stride legnth, landing foot placement etc but i find the hardest thing is actually putting any of it into practice and actually changing something.  As my times have dropped my running style seems to have improved but i think that's more just from my body adapting naturally rather than anything i'm forcing.  When i tried to up my cadance i just ended up with really stupid choppy strides which just felt unnatural.

Has anyone successfully changed their style and can describe how you actually went about it?  or is it just a case of letting the body find its most efficient style (after all that's what the human body has adapted over billions of years) and concentrate on cross training to strengthen the core and muscles needed for running.  The latter is my current method of improving running style, just go with the flow! image

• Core,core,core..something that a number of people (not all runners) have drilled into me so there must be something to it. If your core is stronger then you run better and get less injuries. Finding some decent exercises and stretches may be the key (Pilates didn't work for me)

Moving back "on topic" for Manchester, it's certainly getting "pushed" appearing regularly on my Facebook timeline and I believe there are a larger number of places this year, not sure whether they are expecting more entries on the back of its reputation or whether they are pushing the half and half or 4 man relays

I've settled on a personalised version of the P&D 55 plan which will only involve 4 runs per week and slightly lower weekly mileage, starting mid-December to allow for any Christmas-time lapses

• Robin - Quickly back off topic image there is a section in the P&D book on streches/workouts which is really good.  There are 5 different workouts all for different gains, flexibility, strength, core etc.  All are circuit based workouts taking around 20-30 mins (of course you can shorten/extend that as you please).  Well worth a look and dont require any special equipment or a gym pass (although a couple of them use a gym ball which you may or may not have).

John

• Newcomer to this thread and first attempt at Manchester. I did Liverpool in May and missed my goal of 3:30 and finished in 3:39 due to having a complete detonation at mile 20-21.

I followed an Asics plan for Liverpool and am convinced that not enough miles and/or quality sessions did for me, I also suffered with pneumonia in my build up. So to cut a long story short I've decided to also follow a P&D 55 plan with the goal being that sub 3:30. I note a few others are using P&D, what prompted you to do this and what (if any) are your experiences of using the plan.

The profile looks fairly flat for Manchester, is this the case or are there any any little stings in the tail that are worth worrying about?

• iansi wrote (see)

Newcomer to this thread and first attempt at Manchester. I did Liverpool in May and missed my goal of 3:30 and finished in 3:39 due to having a complete detonation at mile 20-21.

I followed an Asics plan for Liverpool and am convinced that not enough miles and/or quality sessions did for me, I also suffered with pneumonia in my build up. So to cut a long story short I've decided to also follow a P&D 55 plan with the goal being that sub 3:30. I note a few others are using P&D, what prompted you to do this and what (if any) are your experiences of using the plan.

The profile looks fairly flat for Manchester, is this the case or are there any any little stings in the tail that are worth worrying about?

iansi,

I did a "get you round" for Manchester 2 years ago and having done my 1st marathon, wanted a bit more in the tank and hopefully to get a better time

for me P&D was too much based on 5 runs a week not giving me enough time for my body to recover, I aim to do a similar but slightly lower mileage but on 4 days per week this time around (which is my normal number of runs per week). The difference this year though, was after my struggle through miles 20-25, I did find enough to run the last mile in goal pace to break 4:15 for the first time. Training mileage certainly built up the stamina, my issue was pacing the race wrongly and going off far too fast which probably stemmed from running some training runs too quickly

Not much difference in my 2 marathon times, 4:16 last year and 4:14 this year

As for the course, it is flat apart from going over the canal and Metrolink lines a few times and the small bridges they entail. The "killers" are having to do Brooklands Road twice (a long, straight road of over 1 mile), the quiet stretch from Sale through to Urmston where Carrington is empty of spectators and the final run down Chester Road, again a long, straight stretch where you can see Old Trafford in the distance but it never gets any nearer

• Iansi - no stings in the tail at all. Apart from a couple of really gentle inclines it's pan flat, this course is made for a PB. I started a P&D plan 2 years ago but got injured and didn't complete it so I can't really comment on it.

I did a 55km fell race in the Peak District about 6 weeks ago and since then I've lost my running mojo. The grand total of 4 runs since then meant that my run yesterday was more of an effort than I would have liked. I've had to cancel the 50 miler I was going for next week as I'm just not ready for it. So, my next race is a local half in November and then my focus will switch to Manchester for next year. After my first marathon at Manchester this year was 3:36 I will be training with aim of getting under 3:30

• Ian it's flat ish as above did Liverpool as well and it's a lot flater than that if any help. Do you think the blip at mile 20 was just hitting the wall? If it was might be worth while thinking a little about nutrition. The time for a first marathon isn't exactly a bad one.

Carter is the local one Clowne by any chance? There is Worksop half as well. image

• Thanks for the replies.

Robin, Chester Road sounds similar to the last five miles along the prom in the Liverpool Marathon in that it never seemed to end. I'm aiming to try and stick to the P&D plan but have already prepared to drop one of the easy/recovery runs when the inevitable commitments of work and family life intrude on my trainingimage.

Carter, I can sympathise with the loss of mojo, after Liverpool in May I completely lost the will to run and it's taken me the best part of the summer to start enjoying it again. I'll be interested to find out how your training goes since we are both aiming for the same time in April, what platform do you use to track your progress, Strava etc.

Cake, glad to hear it's easier on the gradient than Liverpool. Nutrition was fine in May, I think it was not enough miles and time on my feet in the long runs. I only did two above twenty miles and probably averaged 25-30 miles p/w.