manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• iansi wrote (see)

Thanks for the replies.

Robin, Chester Road sounds similar to the last five miles along the prom in the Liverpool Marathon in that it never seemed to end. I'm aiming to try and stick to the P&D plan but have already prepared to drop one of the easy/recovery runs when the inevitable commitments of work and family life intrude on my trainingimage.

That sounds like a plan iansi, I dropped the shorter run each week (from P&D) to drop it down to 4 runs and still keep the mileage relatively high which my groin could cope with and have sufficient recovery days. I think I was still in the 40-50 miles range most weeks and did 3 20 mile runs as opposed to just the 1 first time around. As a United fan, the site of Old Trafford looming draws me home on the final stretch whereas it might have the opposite effect for some image

• Robin - do you think you would be able to get 5 x 20 mile runs into your training plan this year ? I've heard many people say that his is the number they try and get in and it makes more difference to their endurance than doing 2 or 3. I managed 5 in my training for Manchester this year and I felt ok towards the end of the race.

Cake - yeah, I've got my eye on Clowne. That was my first ever race 2 years ago so I would like to train towards that and see how much I've improved, well hopefully that I've improved ! I would also like to find a flat half to try and have a bash at breaking 1:30

Iansi - it's a strange feeling to be running for 18 months, work up to two great races and then suddenly you can't be arsed to go out for an easy 5 miles. I feel like I'm back on it again now although it's a bit of a struggle with the old legs but I'm sure they will soon remember what they need to do. Yes, I'm on Strava and I find it useful pouring over the facts and figures - http://www.strava.com/athletes/576091

• Carter, I'd read that about your 5 longest runs being 100 miles, in total, during training, we shall see as I'd be worried about over-doing it. My pace is the key, I think I burn off too much energy (for me) in the first half of the race and if I was able to run it at a slightly easier and more consistent pace I might have a bit more in the tank for the later stages, That said, if I converted a couple of the proposed 17-18 milers into 20 milers I'd be there, so it's something to consider

I don't think refuelling is an issue, took on board plenty of gels and water last time but I could be wrong

Last year I didn't have a break between building up to the Capesthorne HM in Novemeber and then starting Marathon training mid-December. This year I am to have a month or so of "fun" runs between the Arley Hall HM at the end of October and starting the 18 week marathon training mid-December

• Carter, I've given you a follow on Strava, hopefully we can gee each other along!

• Robin - sounds like you've got it sussed. We continue to learn about ourselves and what works best for us all the time.

Iansi - got it and followed you too.

• Carter if you want a flat half and don't mind travelling I can highly reconmend Reading. Been a few years since did it but I'd be surplised if it's gone down hill. image

• See the 5 x 20milers in your plan when would you fit them into say a 18 week plan? When I did London I only did 2 x20milers and I know that wasn't enough so want to do more and even a bit more mileage up to 22 miles a couple of times but would you do the first 20miler say week 10 then 12,14 and so on? 

• Bigeater - In my opinion, it depends on what you've been doing in the weeks before you start your actually marathon training plan. For me, I had already started putting in some longer runs (15/16 miles) before I started my plan. Then, in week 3 of my actual training plan I did my first 20 miler. This gave me a bit more flexibility later in the plan. So, if for some reason I couldn't do a long run one week I wasn't worrying about it as I knew I had time to fit it in later in the plan. If you are starting your plan as a relative new runner, your last long run should be week 15 of your plan (to give you a 3 week taper) so work it back from there. At some stage you would probably have to do 2 long runs in consecutive weeks but I didn't have to do that because of starting my longer runs earlier in the plan. 

Cake - if Reading has gone downhill that should produce a quicker time alright !

• Thanks Carter, good advice. I'm at half marathon training just now, 10-12 miles Sunday long runs. HM on 5th Oct then I'll look at marathon step up soon after that. Thanks again. 

• Did the Stirling 10k in 44.29. Happy with that, no pb but close so a good run out and a good tee shirt. Like it when you get a good tee shirt that you will wear again for running!

• Good work with the 10k Bigeater!  Your current training sounds similar to mine, half way through training for Lancaster half on 2nd November although the other half is pressuring me to swap it for Conwy on 23rd Nov so that i can go to a halloween party on the 1st Nov image  i really want to get a sub 1:40 under my belt which should be quite comfortable but Conwy has a huge hill/small mountain around mile 8 which could just finish me off.

My plan had a 21k long run today but im still feeling the effects of the Salford 10k race last weekend which i put all out effort into collecting a 56 second PB (43:13) but its meant i havent done any of the scheduled runs this week at pace although ive still managed 45k in total.  Back on with the plan proper tomorrow.

John

• Fantastic 10k time at Salford animal. A 56 second pb is outstanding. Stick with Lancaster, I know you will get grieve from the other half but that sub 1.40 needs itched and I like Lancaster, was there in the summer.;-)

• Right no backing out now, I've paid my entry fee today before it jumps up by a fiver in the next week or so. Bring on that winter trainingimage

• I'm debating entering before the prices go up on the expectation that i get knocked back from London.

Running has become a chore this week, my legs just really aren't in the mood at all.

• There are usually discount vouchers and codes in the local papers for Manchester, I've entered in Dec/Jan in the last couple of years and still managed to get a reduced price, I think it's normally aimed at the post-Christmas fitness resolution brigade or where they are trying to maintain momentum/interest

There are additional places this year, not sure whether they're expecting a surge in entries or perhaps hoping that the 2 man and 4 man team events will be more popular

I half wish I'd entered the English HM in Warrington this weekend as opposed to waiting for Arley Hall but we had originally planned to attend the Ramsbottom Music Festival and a hangover/half marathon are not a heady combination

• Robin - Agreed there is normally a 10% off voucher in the messenger which would negate the price increase.  I think the numbers will go up from last year, they are pushing the "marathon of the year" award they won and hoping that will drive up numbers.  Its a few years now since the baggage debacle and i think more runners will give it a chance and we will see it grow.  not sure the relay numbers will be up though, most of the complaints from last year were from the relay guys and girls, it sounded like a complete shambles with runners not knowing where the cross-over points were and numerous reports of runners running way too long or not long enough by quite some distance.

Arley half.... you could be waiting a long time for that to ever happen.  I had a good running battle with those buggers!

• Rockinrockyrobin - I've PMd you.

• AnimalMagic wrote (see)

Arley half.... you could be waiting a long time for that to ever happen.  I had a good running battle with those buggers!

Yes, had my reservations with the 2 cancellations this year and now merging it with my intended race at Capesthorne. Tatton in Nov 2012 and Capesthorne in Nov 2013 went OK via the same organisers, I think the plan would be to do Lancaster on 2nd November, if Capesthorne fell through again so as not to waste the training

I think both the Messenger and Evening News had vouchers last year

• Yeah i'm doing Lancaster, it was my replacement for Capesthorne.  It annoyed me they were still advertising it on the site and still taking entries through sportssoft but when i spoke to Capesthorne hall themselves they told me the event had been cancelled some time ago.  I got in touch with sportssoft and they refunded all my cash and took the entry link off their site so nobody can enter any longer.  it was a minor victory but still annoying they are messing people around with Arley.  I looked into their companies house trading records and they are now on the 3rd iteration of MyTriathlon (2+3) Ltd with the first closing down due to unpaid revenue IIRC.  Complete bunch of crooks and need to be avoided.  They have cancelled quite a few events at the last minute including some triathlon ones last year.

I agree capesthorne was good last year but even then they advertised chip timing then after i queried them on that when it didnt arrive in the post they removed the line for their website saying it was chip timed and alas on the day it was manual, which isn't great for £26 (+£5 parking!)

I would contact Arley if i were you, but i would very much expect you will be told there is no event happening that day.

John

• Iansi - well done fella, a good winter of training and a PB is yours !

RRR/AM - from what I remember from last year, a couple of weeks before the race itself, the organizers said that there were about 8,000 runners but on the actually day I seem to recall there were only about 5,000 ? How many are they trying to attract for next year ? 

• Carter - I think they reckoned on 7000 taking part this year (not sure whether that's all runners or just those doing the full race)

The launch of the 2015 race in July talked about 12500 places but I'm not sure again whether that includes all entrants for the 2 person/4 person teams too

The initial figures factor in a figure of people who will enter but not appear on the start line for whatever reason, injury, lack of training, travel problems etc, I can't remember whether this is 10% or something along those line

AM - Panicking a bit about Arley, I e-mailed them about Capesthorne last year when a chip failed to appear and it was based on low entries, financially it's not cost effective to chip time a race of under 1000 runners apparently.

E-mailed again this year with a lack of a November date for Capesthorne and got a reply when entries were re-launched for Arley III to state that there would only be 1 race

Just realised I can't do Lancaster anyway as we've pencilled a birthday party for my daughter which has already caused ructions as it's derby day

• Robin - As i said just email Arley Hall themselves. They will tell you straight if they have an event planned or not.  I'm sure someone on another forum said that both Arley and Capesthorne had cut ties with MyTriathlon but i cant confirm that for definite.

• Running mojo is back!  A really strong 5xmile repeats at 7:10mm pace on Friday, an easy 8k jog on Saturday including a 24:41 Parkrun then a nice leisurely 14miler today at 8:45mm pace keeping my HR below 140 which is excellent for me as normally my long run I'm up between 145-150 bpm.  Back on it and feeling motivated again!  Got a tough week ahead though running wise, lactate Tuesday, mara pace run wednesday and hill intervals on Thursday (kill me now!! image) and a 15 mile mara pace run on Sunday.  Hope everyone else has had a good week of running image

• Hearing some good times from the EHM at the weekend so that's keeping me motivated heading toward an autumn half as the aim is to try and shave some time of my PB to keep motivation levels up between then and starting to look toward Manchester build up

On the downside, the high vis has had to come back from its hibernation, it's now dark when I get back from an evening run and dark when I set off for a morning run, so better to be safe than sorry

• Must have been perfect conditions for the EHM, it was lovely yesterday, no wind, cool in the shade and not too hot in the sun.

•  

rockinrockyrobin wrote (see)

Hearing some good times from the EHM at the weekend so that's keeping me motivated heading toward an autumn half as the aim is to try and shave some time of my PB to keep motivation levels up between then and starting to look toward Manchester build up

On the downside, the high vis has had to come back from its hibernation, it's now dark when I get back from an evening run and dark when I set off for a morning run, so better to be safe than sorry

My weekday evening runs are now too dark to do without a headtroch just need to make sure I've got a topped up supply of batteries.

carterusm wrote (see)

Iansi - well done fella, a good winter of training and a PB is yours !

Cheers, that's the plan. I will break 3:30!

• I have a soft spot for the manchester marathon, as it was my third marathon but my first under 4 hours (3:53) so I was very pleased crossing the line.

The actual race was very well organised. No complaints at all really. Not too congested on any part of the course, so I didn't find myself bobbing and weaving. I stuck to almost metronomic pace, even managing a slight negative split. Crowds round Altrincham were very good, and there were good pockets elsewhere too.

The course itself is pretty good, apart from a very slight (and short) hill around the halfway point, it's almost pancake flat, so good PB fodder. Enough water stations, and I liked the water pouch things they used, reduced the risk of choking on it as you ran, or throwing it all over yourself.

I've entered the london ballot, but if i'm unsuccessful, will be re-running manchester again, hopefully to get a bit closer to 3:30 this time.

If you want a "big city" marathon AND a good shot at a PB, I think Manchester is a very good bet.

• There seems to be a good number of us aiming to go under the 3:30 barrier this year!  I think myself, AG, Matty, Pete and im sure a couple of others are all aiming around the same target.  If any of you have a Garmin feel free to add me @Animalmagic81.  Can be a good motivator through those long dark cold training runs that you know some other mad bugger is out there doing the same!! image

John

• I'm game.

Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1711667

Garmin ISimpson

Followed you John

• Nice running AM, good when you have the motivation to get out there. 11.3 miles for me yesterday at 8.40min average. Picked a hilly route as the half I'm doing on the 05/10 is hilly so wanted a run similar to that. 

Yep hi-viz gear back out. Keep safe everyone.