manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• First drama of the morning, got to the A34/M60 junction and realised id forgot my garmin, turn roun start again. Here now parked, now for a loo.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Don't drink too much pre-race, you'll just need to stop for a wee. Take on small amounts during the race though. Good luck all, will be out there watching so try not to make fools of yourselves. Can't believe how perfect the weather is for you. 

• Sun tan lotion...  I'm glad I  brought it with me, despite the weather forecast!

Good luck everyone

• OMG that was a painful walk back to the car! Getting in it was even worse. Despite some cramp towards the end and a couple of lost minutes I managed 2:58:18 which I am over the moon with!

Looking forwards to all the reports
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Well done again SJ, hope you're recovering nicely. i take it you didn't make it to the pub then?

Just a quick check in from me as heading off to the boozer for my first pint this year. Absolutely delighted to scrape a sub 2:40 (2:39:46)!

Hope you all managed to get the times you were hoping, looking forward to hearing the reports. And to whoever gave me a shout around 10/15 miles, thanks so much, i needed that! image
  • Well done guys. I scraped a 2:56.

Calf went pop at 22 miles. Hopefully not torn, as I'm doing London next week. Cost me a couple of minutes.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well done guys. My garmin didn't pick up a signal at all so I spent the first few miles manually calculating. Got bored around timperley so ran to feel. Smashed my 3:30 target with a 3:17 gun time. Chuffed to bits. But why are there so many stairs in Manchester ???? I 

• Well done all! Fantastic times! I managed a 3:26:03. A 4 minute -split. Magic race can't wait to come back in a few years! Now it's time for a pint of real English ale! Great support......
  • What a great race, fantastic support & course. Smashed my PB and target with a 3:22:52 (garmin time).
  • Well done guys ... V impressed.

Everything was fine to 20 miles than the lack of long run training hit my legs big time and hobbled over in 4hrs 10 so a little disappointed not to break 4 hours but deal down I knew this was likely .

A PB though ????
  • First marathon done! 3:54. Absolutely delighted to get sub 4 hours. I stuck with the 4 hour pacer until Sale then went ahead to avoid the crowds. The long road through Urmston was a killer but as soon as I saw OT I got a second wind and managed a fast finish. Fantastic support all the way round and ate so many jelly babies I didn't need to use all of my gels. A bit weird that the time given in the website is the gun time not taking in to account the time you crossed the start line. Perfect conditions.... Not sure I will ever be able to beat that time, but will enjoy trying.... Same again next year? safe journey home everyone.

• Well done everyone some great times. I finished with a chip time of 3:00:36. A bit gutted to get that close to sub 3 and just miss out. With the injury I've had over the last few weeks though you won't hear me complain too much. PB by 1:12:50.

My Garmin went mad about mile 17 and was over a quarter mile out, corrected itself at mile 25 but those miles in between were tough to pace.
  • Quick check in, had a tough race with stomach cramp and then cramp in the right leg which was agony. Came home in 3:22:53 which given the race I had I am chuffed with. Still my first sub 3:30 and plenty to build on.

Well done those with super times!
  • Wow! Great to see so many good times and PBs! Managed 3:00:49 which is a pb but am a little gutted! Just lost the pace in the last two miles. So I feel kind of mixed at the moment. I will break 3 hours at some point... Eyeing up Chester

Was a great day though and helps that it is so easy to get to. Felt really relaxed in the race village. I would just like to say thanks to everyone for making the boards so entertaining and informative. See you all next year?

Forgot to say congratulations to you Gary when I saw you. Hope the calf is ok for London next week. I cannot imagine doing another marathon right now!
  • Mile markers were useless and inaccurate (some of them anyway).

• Managed 3.14 gun time so well happy with that.

Pace dropped @23m battling with cramp but refused to stop. Loved the race, the support all good. Well done everyone once I get back.
  • Will post again once I've recovered !
  • Well done everyone! I had a fantastic race, first sub 4 at 3.55 image Woohoo!
  • Gary Wolstencroft wrote (see)

Mile markers were useless and inaccurate (some of them anyway).

Agreed, I was using the manual split on my watch. Thought the mile 25 one was way off and one or two I missed completely, ended up using the average pace function as my guide and tried to maintain it.

Went straight to my sons rugby tournament from the race and I think this has helped with not seizing up, tomorrow will be another matter...

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

3:14:49, after a nightmare month I'm delighted! Without recent illness I think sub 3:10 would have been possible and thought so a month ago! Well done everyone out there today! 

• Just managed to sneak under 3 hours, the location of the 25 mile marker came close to giving me a heart attack!

• 3:07:15, PB by over 21 minutes. Chuffed to see other posters getting great times as well. Such a fabulous race. The support was amazing. Buying a shirt with my name on the front is the best decision I've ever made!

• Great race, loved everything about it, and clocked 3:06.51 for a first-time marathon.

But the mile markers were either too small, tucked away on the wrong side of the road, or in totally the wrong place. Either they were put there by someone not paying attention, or deliberately moved. Bupa manage huge mile markers for their races - perhaps Asics should do the same.

• Got round in 3:19. 2nd Marathon and a PB of 19 mins. Chuffed with that. Although I was looking at breaking 3:15 for a good while but hip probs and cramping stopped that. I didn't see the 25 mile marker which wasn't helpful. Found the course very nice although 3 loops seems a bit much. Wud def do it again! Congrats to everyone! I found the last 7 miler a real killer!
  • Well done all, i squeezed inside 3 with 2:58:50 , happy with that off insufficient training .. Now where is the York Marathon thread

• Got home with 3.28.28 on my Garmin and 3.29.45 on the results with 1.20 taken to cross line - whatever, did my first marathon sub-3.30 so really chuffed (but which is correct?). Agree about mile markers, especially 25 and the 3.29 pacer seemed to be using the run as a personal Fartlek session! But hey, we did it. Sincere congrats to all.
  • I was really pleased with my time (3.36.50) but my Garmin measured my run as 26 dead. Not 26.2.

Is it my Garmin or has some monumental error happened here?

• Wait a minute, the mile markers were out?? You mean I didn't run a 4:30 minute first mile? imageagreed they were shockingly placed and very sporadic, the only ones which were in the right place were the timing matt ones. also the pacers were poorly placed, last year they were in the start pens early but this year they seemed to join last minute. The 3:29 guy was next to us but the 3:15 wasnt even in sight. 

Re: garmins, it was covered a few pages back, they are not accurate but the course is. 

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Well folks a 26 min PB for me.Garmin timed at 3:56.I will post my race report later.I tried to log to get my official time but it hasnt got my time or any splits.I will be absolutely raging and gutted if they have messed up my chip as it wasn't my original one as they resent me a new one as the other failed to arrive.anyone else had this problem
  • JB - I think they use stuweb or something for the race timing which is awful. Last year the results page was an absolute joke. I'm currently on power of ten and will upload the link once I have it as its playing up currently