manchester marathon 2015

Comments

• RunningTap - you got a decent shout out there on Marathon Talk this week image

• Saw something on Twitter about the Manchester winner running London as Spiderman or am I still hallucinating? image

Getting back into it, ran on Wednesday and another pencilled in for tomorrow then back into running proper next week with a decision on what to focus on for the rest of the year

• Yeah ive seen something about Spiderman aiming for a sub 2:30.  I didnt realise it was the Manchester winner though.  How the hell do people do it?!? Im just about walking in a straight line again without people thinking im falling over

• AM - I know! I think they were impressed how well I fell apart in the 2nd half!

Looking forward to seeing Spiderman too on Sunday morning. Looks like that Marders is a bit of a charachter!

I can't wait to get back to it. Left knee still hurts, so a few more days rest, but the rest of me feels great.
  • I have just signed up for 2016...... Shall we do all this again?

• I just got the email for that with the discount amount.  I really don't think ill be able to do it next year image

• Hoping to get a GFA for London, but if they change the time requirement, I will be back!image

• Dig in there Gary lad! You must be in a world of pain. 5k left. Well done to anyone completing the manchester/London double today! Incredible.
  • 3:18.......it hurt from 1 to 26.2. Calf Injury I picked up at Manchester didn't help. Was painful from mile 1 to the end.

Stopped and spoke to friends and family towards the end.

Now to get fit for my Ironman Tri's
  • Well done Gary, amazing.

• Totally brilliant Gary.  I am still resting my sore knees - haven't even run for the bus yetimage

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

fucking hell Gary, great effort.

• It took me nearly that long to run two and a half miles today image

• I got to half way in 1:31.........but then fell apart. I can't recommend it....your injury risk is obviously high. But it's good practice for the ironman marathon.
  • I did 8km today and my groin injury from the marathon reoccurred at 5km so I stopped. But i felt good. Not good enough to do a marathon though.

• Well done Gary. I can't begin to imagine how hard doing two marathons on back to back weekends must be.

Had a few days off running then tried to pace the wife to a PB at the parkrun. We managed 24mins but 16seconds off her PB image.
    I think I've scraped a GFA @VLM but right now can't wait to come back to Manchester. I had such a good race, the support etc. can't wait to have another go.

• I must admit the London marathon did look amazing today. I think the only realistic way I could get a place is to do it through a charity. Has anyone done this? How much do you have to raise? well done Gary, I did the Bolton 10k today and that felt hard enough.

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Well done Gary. 3:18, and stopping to chat! 

Did Blackpool Mara yesterday. I didn't 'run' Manchester as such, went round with the wife as it was her first (and probably only) Mara. 

I had intended to go for a decentish time at Blackpool. I had naively thought that going round with the wife (She did 5:44, I usually do 3:40) wouldn't take much out of me. 

It did. There were times I could have walked fast to keep up with her but I maintained a running gait, to give an idea, I took 40% more strides with the wife than I usually do for that distance. It killed me. Could hardly walk for the first couple of days, took me back to after my first Mara! 

Blackpool, flat as you like, took me 4:12, and that was as fast as I could go.......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • SaintJason - tried to PM you but all your details are private so it appears I cant.  Regarding Sale sessions on Tuesdays it mentions on the link that men should be in the 30-36min 10k range otherwise they may struggle image  I'm absolutely nowhere near that (43min PB).  Are there others that would be in my range?

• Nick Morgan2 wrote (see)

I must admit the London marathon did look amazing today. I think the only realistic way I could get a place is to do it through a charity. Has anyone done this? How much do you have to raise? well done Gary, I did the Bolton 10k today and that felt hard enough.

I did it through a charity place in 2010. I had to raise £2K. I won't be going for a charity place again though, its hard enough training for a marathon as it is, nevermind the added pressure of raising some serious cash too. I've been rejected via the ballot on 6 occasions now, luckily I'll have a GFA place if it want it next year.

• Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

36 min 10k.  id been thinking about joining sale should I ever be able to run again.  I guess that's me out.

• I see we can purchase our Manchester Marathon 2016 places already. 

OH GOD, I SAID I WOULD NEVER DO ANOTHER..........seems like I lied.

I achieved my goal of getting round in under 5hours (4:57:09), now i have set my goal at under 4:30.

THE WIFE IS GOING TO KILL ME !!!

• I'd like to do it again, won't be deciding until they confirm the date once the football fixtures are out though.

• Well done Gary! 

Now I've popped under 4 hours my next goal is to get a GFA place for London (probably looking at 2017, but still). I will need to drop off another 10 mins, but I think I can do it. 

JJ, I'm excited that you're ready to go back for more so soon! 

How did Spidey get on? I saw him run past yesterday, he wasn't with Paula image 

• AM - most definitely others in that range and a lot slower. The A group down there on a Tuesday has some speedy guys but the B and C groups are much more middle-of-the-pack. There are groups for all paces and abilities.

I think it's a tempo run along the Mersey trails tomorrow night... 7 miles total with warm-up-tempo-cool down.

I'm hoping to get down there myself so may see you (I look a bit like my avatar)

JCG - Spiderman broke the world record. 2:30 he ran. Not sure if you were aware but it is Paul Martelletti aka as Marders who won the race in Manchester last week. He's on an incredible run(sic) having won almost every race he's entered this year including Watford, Wokingham, Liverpool and Brighton half marathons. He's unstoppable.

Edit: Ah I see the link to his thread posted a page back.

• I'll be back for Manchester next year, could shave another few minutes off with a decent run and I genuinely enjoyed the training and the race this year

JJ - it goes 2 ways, either it's a one off or you fancy another as there are 1 or more things you could do differently and you certainly learn from each race you do. Will see you on the streets of Timperley at some stage image

Not sure £8 off will tempt me to pay early and I'm another one who works their runs around the footie fixtures although given it starts and finishes from OT I should be OK

Got a 7.5 and 9.5 mile run in last week and am now going to go back to 4 runs this week starting off with 8 or 9 tonite

Haven't seen any Autumn HM I fancy as Macc/Warrington in September may come too soo after the summer holidays

• SJ - Cheers for the info.  Chomping at the bit for a decent run again now and P&D has me down for recovery all this week again but i think i will go along and see how i get on.  I'll be the shy guy stood at the back who looks lost image  I only know one person from Sale who i ran back from parkrun with once, his name was Moran.  he was twice my age and quicker than me image

• RRR - i also looked at the EHM in Warrington but its the same day as South Manchester triathlon which i have my eye on.  Hopefully one will pop up in October somewhere.  I think Lancaster is around that time too

• AM - You could mean Miram? Softly-spoken Irishman? He is a regular on Tuesday nights. I'll keep an eye out for you.