Zip up your tri suit or be disqualified

1235»

Comments

• Perfect - thanks.

I'll push my luck and ask another question. Any way round the chafing from the wet swim shorts on the bike ride?

• Going down the route of lycra will be your best bet, tri shorts ideally as they have a nod towards padding in them, alternatively a pair of lycra swim shorts are the best way, dry out quickly enough once biking and usually no chaffing.

• image - Thanks - very helpful - I'm loving triathletes already!

• Pop-Up Schmunks wrote (see)

Not quite sure whether athletic genes are inherited though FB.  Lanky came 1st in his AG yestrday and as I sure as hell don't know where he gets his talent from image

You inherit 100% of your mitochondria (kind of the structures within your cells that do the actual production of energy) from your mother. So, it could be argued with a fair degree of scientific backup, that your Lanky inherited his athletic ability from you.

• ^^  Which reaffirms my belief that we must have brought the wrong baby home all those years ago image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Pop-Up Schmunks wrote (see)

^^  Which reaffirms my belief that we must have brought the wrong baby home all those years ago image

I wouldn't worry Schmunks - I know FA's parents and you have to question where she got her quick genes from......image

• Looking at rules from IM France for Nice they seem to say that the zip can be no lower than the botom of your sternum. Is this:

a) bad translation
    b) different rules for Mdot events?

Im guessing it will be pretty warm, so is that giving a bit of leeway or not?

• Mr StOat wrote (see)

Looking at rules from IM France for Nice they seem to say that the zip can be no lower than the botom of your sternum. Is this:

a) bad translation
    b) different rules for Mdot events?

Im guessing it will be pretty warm, so is that giving a bit of leeway or not?

IM isn't governed by BTF, so the rule doesn't necessarily apply.

On a related note, had the race pack through for IMUK last night and it specifically states that unzipped suits will NOT result in disqualification (....but to zip up as you cross the finish line, just to add a little ambiguity!)

WTC/Ironman operate their own set of rules - in essence the same as the BTF/ITU ones but quite different in other areas.   WTC don't operate the same kit rules for example.   another is where wetsuits are banned due to high water temps, WTC allow swimskins, but BTF/ITU don't - that one also causes confusion and is open to abuse if you don't keep your eyes peeled as a ref as many swimskins look like tri kit.   

I think IMUK are being canny - it helps clarify matters for those who normally race in the UK under BTF rules who are being told to zip up.

BUT

things might be changing as the ITU have had a meeting with WTC/Ironman (and USAT - the US tri federation) with a view to cooperating on developing a common set of rules for all events irrespective of organiser.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2014/06/24/itu-ironman-in-historic-meeting

I had the heads up about that last week but couldn't say anything at the time

• Were the Challenge team invited?  I can't see on the Challenge Weymouth website what rules they are using.

Challenge licence their events to local organisers who then operate under the country federation rules - in this case, BTF.   they did that at Henley and no reason it should change for Weymouth as it's the same organisers (Just Racing).  

I think the middle distance is part of the TE South West series so that would have to run under BTF rules to qualify

• Thanks for the clarification FB, I had seen that the middle distance was 'official' but couldn't find anything on the full.