70.3 Staffordshire

Comments

• Seem to have pre-registered Mr & Mrs Digger for this! image

• Pre-registered image  This might see my return to tri.  Hopefully it'll be more successful than my last one (Regensburg in 2011!!!).

I forgot about the split transitions there - were they not about 50 miles apart?!  Didn't have a car but they put buses on.  Can't remember it being a problem

• SwimsL1keaWalrus wrote (see)

I'd already pre registered for Dublin!

Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Pre-registered image  This might see my return to tri.  Hopefully it'll be more successful than my last one (Regensburg in 2011!!!).

I forgot about the split transitions there - were they not about 50 miles apart?!  Didn't have a car but they put buses on.  Can't remember it being a problem

• Any dates for Dublin yet ? Pre registered Stafford & Dublin.

• I pre registered for Staffordshire 1/2 IM just got a mail from IM with an offer for both this and IM UK, do i still get a pre registered email for Staffs if I aint ready for the full distance?

Ta!

• Just got that same email EM.  we'll still get the Staffs email too I reckon, though it sounds like it will sell out pretty quick!

• How much roughly is entry to the IM 70.3 races? I am contemplating doing Dublin next year which is supposed to be opening for registration next month and was wondering how much to budget for race entry. I assume it varies slightly from race to race but I am just after a rough idea. 

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    Had an email today for entry to this and IM Bolton, ??620. As a Yorkshireman I have to issue the Yorkshire war cry, 'ow much?
  • IronplodonIronplodon ✭✭✭
    Yep, got the same email too, same war cry in Bolton too!! Not doing Bolton though even though it's my home town, looking at the outlaw... First
  • Yes I know you can register but not commit to both! image

Dublin I thought was around the 9th?? Better competing time than mid June for me!

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• I read that Dublin was going to be August 9th, then it changed to TBA - I hope it is the 9th (or later) and not the week before.

• Hoping for Dublin to be in August hope the 9th sticks. Pre reg for Dublin and Staffs hope to get into one at least. Staffs would be easier to get to but suspect it will sell out in hours over 6000 registered interest so far.

Knowing  my luck I will be in an internet wifi void when it goes on sale

• On the Ow Much question just got the entry date and cost notification for Stafford 70.3, what exactly do you get for £238.50 including the 6% handling fee?

Medal (Real Metal)?

T Shirt (Mo Hair)?

"Me Love you long time" post race massage?

• Effing Madness wrote (see)

On the Ow Much question just got the entry date and cost notification for Stafford 70.3, what exactly do you get for £238.50 including the 6% handling fee?

Medal (Real Metal)?

T Shirt (Mo Hair)?

"Me Love you long time" post race massage?

• About standard price for an IM branded 70.3 - don't like it, don't pay it. I can think of an alternative flat, fast, UK based half. image

When's the entry date?

• IRONMAN® 70.3 Staffordshire will open to pre-registered athletes on Tuesday August 26th 2014 at 1pm BST and they will have 24 hours to secure a place in the event on a first come, first served basis.

Is Bala a better value race?

• That depends entirely on what you value.

• I've never raced Bala but it always gets positive comments. Outlaw Half is a phenomenal race in the UK that is fast. I loved the Avenger this year - it isn't fast but it's a great race, raises money for charity and is not expensive. Of course, if you want 70.3 Worlds, that's a different matter. IM almost invariably produce a slick event.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Any of the bike route? It says towards Lichfield and Burton so I'm guessing along the flatlands of the Tame/Trent Valley up to Walton or Branston way and then via Abbots Bromley way

• TheEngineer wrote (see)

I've never raced Bala but it always gets positive comments. Outlaw Half is a phenomenal race in the UK that is fast. I loved the Avenger this year - it isn't fast but it's a great race, raises money for charity and is not expensive. Of course, if you want 70.3 Worlds, that's a different matter. IM almost invariably produce a slick event.

Dear Engineer I aint at that Standard but thanks for the benefit of the doubt! Never raced Half distance and looking for my first next year, I guess IM 70.3 would be an experience if nothing else but I have also heard great things about the Outlaw too.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I'd say IM 70.3 races and Bala are about as far apart as races can get.  If 70.3s are anything like full IM races you get all the razzle with branded sponsorship, an expo, fancy armbands, a branded rucksack momento, branded transition bags, an all singing all dancing event with a plethora of well stocked feedstations and (potentially) dancing girls and fireworks.  Bala, by contrast, costs ca one third of the price, is organised by a local triathlon club (probably not for profit but I've not bothered to check).  Registration takes place in a local sports club and there are no armbands, nor transition bags provided and no razzle.  Your goody bag comes in a Tesco ladybird bag and your race momento is a bath towel.  No medal.  There is one feedstation on the bike route with High 5.  The feedstations on the run route are about every 3 miles and have water and High 5.  I've done both IM branded races (though full distance IM, not 70.3) and Bala and they are both outstanding at what they do.  It depends if you want a club/grass roots race or a branded race.  I wouldn't criticise either.  Bala is probably still my favourite half distance race.  It's considered to be tough as it's a hilly run and a hilly bike in oft windy conditions (their race instructions caution against disc and deep section wheels.)

Outlaw, by contrast, sits in the middle.  I don't know what the entry costs are, they have more razzle than the grass roots Bala event but they aren't quite as expensive as the IM brand.  I suspect their price point will be somewhere in between the Bala price and the IM 70.3 price.  Again, you can't fault Outlaw as a race either.  Outlaw full (not done the half but it's not going to be much different) is one of my top three full IM distance races.  Outlaw is flat but can be windy.

Tough choices.

• Mouse, great summary thank you!

TheEngineer wrote (see)

Do them all image

That my friend is an interesting suggestion!imageThinking face!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

You're welcome. 

• Anyone local worked out  if Staffordshire 70.3 has split transition sites ?    If so will transport be arranged for bike/ car collection .?   Booked hotel in anticipation of getting entry when it opens next month. Hoping it'll be easier than Exmoor ! Can cancel hotel just in case !   
  • Yes it is a split transition, ironman will provide busses from finish to T2 for bike & car collection.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure of any requirements IM make for elevation changes, but I'd have gone further south towards Whittington in the first part and avoided the climb over Cannock Chase at the end, it seems a bit superfluous to me. Dead easy to sit here and say that, less so when you've road closures and 1500 athletes to consider.