RunLog CDROM

I have installed my RunLog CDROM which came with the February issue of RW and found that it creates a "prefs_so_5113.sol" file in "E:Documents and Settings%USERPROFILE%Application DataMacromediaFlash Playerlocalhost" so I think that I have the location from which to backup my running data.

Has anyone found a way of accessing a Macromedia SOL file to either import/export to Excel?

Comments

• well the file will be plain text (it is a type of cookie file) so it should be readable.

The file will probably have a few strange characters in it, also because the data you enter is used by flash to create picklists, I would guess that what you see in the file may not make a lot of sense and be hard to parse into Excel.

Basically I wouldn't bother unless I had a good reason to do it, it would be a real PITA methinks.
  • RFR - Up until I received the RunLog, I always used Excel for recording this sort of information, but I like the look and feel of this app - but would like to retain the data in Excel without double keying. I guess I am being paranoid that the application will expire at the end of 2004 and I also I like manipulating the data and putting graphs together to show my improvement.

I will have a play over the next few days to see if I can come up with anything.

Also, see that you are another Wiltshire forumite - I live in Shaw, just down the B3353 from Corsham towards Mwlksham, so we probably pass each other on training runs.

Regards Wrinty
  • Here is an overview of .sol files from the Macromedia web site:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/local_so.htm

Here's a program which allows you to read the contents of a .sol file in a more organised layout than in Word, WordPad, NotePad, etc. The screen format is intended for developers and is not in a friendly format for export to Excel.

http://www.sephiroth.it/python/solreader.php
  • Has anyone else had a problem with the Runlog calculating their pace per mile? I did a 3.1 mile run last night in 27:03 (8:44 pace according to my Excel spreadsheet and my own calculations) which comes up in Runlog as 8.72 pace.

Confused!
  • Help!!!

I've found myself on the Swedish RW forum!!
  • I'm a chimp

Get me out of here!!!
  • axe
    pocket
    'n mix

Hi peeps. Just creating a picklist.
  • I haven't installed mine yet and from the above I think I'll stick to more traditional means!!

PS Chimp, the Swedish forum? Can't think why you're there.
  • Minkin, I think you need to check your spreadsheet. 3.1 miles in 27 mins 3 second is 8.726 mins per mile (27.05/3.1)
  • Minkin

Does the 0.726 min refer to 0.726 multiplied by 60?

That is, 60 seconds in 1 minute, 0.726 is the fraction of the 60 seconds, and this works out as 43.56 seconds which is close to your 8.44 min/mile calculations!

Just a thought, I'm just a scientist, not a mathematician. Took me 2 attmepts to get me O' level Maths! :0)

Angela
  • Opps, you are right Angela, the discrepency is that RunLog is displaying pace as decimal minutes, whilst Minkin has correctly converted his pace into mins and seconds
  • There are some other good ones here if you're not getting on with the runlog one:-

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/software/log.htm

I'm just using the freebie Serpies one which seems to do a pretty good job and just needs minor tweaks to adapt to 2004.
  • There's even one called "Badly Trained Monkey".

Chimp - are you a techy in disguise?
  • badly trained monkey was set up by another forumite
  • Was it Dave Lord, hips?
  • it all sounds very complicated...I don't know if I'll bother even putting the cd in...
  • Cant you find a man to help you, Trinity?

(Chimp scarpers)
  • probably, but to be honest I can't be a$$ed. How has running got to be so techy now...
  • It hasnt Trinity.

Mine went in the bin.
  • These people who waste all their time on a PC.

I ask you

:-)
  • I knew my maths wasn't that bad! What's the point of a pace calculator if it doesn't convert to minutes per mile?
  • One up for recording results in Excel - at least it understands the concept of hh:mm:ss when performing calculations on times.
  • I'm new to this 'taking running seriously' lark despite having been a recreational runner (ie on/ off!!) for about 14 years. I'm doing flm this year. Does it matter if i don't have a PB, know my ppm, etc? ...have gsoh and gch tho....