Have you ever been in a fight?

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One day YB you'll wack a guy on your level of judgement and he'll fall down. And while you're standing there wondering why the prat doesn't get up (after all you didn't hit him that hard -even if in your opinion he deserved it) someone will point out that he's actually dead.

That's where people like me come in.

I'll send you down for life without even blinking. Promise.

We have to legislate for idiots.

🙂

• I agree with Yidd on this one.  The verbal component is usually a precursor to the actual fight.  Often this is done to find an opening for a sucker punch.

RicF- are you a Judge?  If so, you need to learn more about what a fight is, or you'll send someone down who is only defending themselves.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

You win.

🙂

• Yay, I win image  Do I get a prize, or can I just have the cash image

• Did you write lots of swears, then change your mind image
  • A much easier way to deal with verbals and defuse the situation is to respond in a calm, polite voice with the most random gibberish you can think of. The aggressor's confusion ends up lowering the levels of adrenalin or cortisol or whatever in their body.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nope I wrote in response to 'can I have the cash?, "How much?"

But that was a bit provocative so I deleted it.

YB.  I was feeling a bit bored: and correctly had a few beers, when I made the 'down for life' comment. Sorry about that, just wanted to see what happened.

For what its worth, I've had on two occasions people going 'red mist ballistic', screaming abuse inches from my face. As with Country Jim, I carried on talking in a calm polite voice (sense though) and gradually brought them in to land.

Once they realised I was on their side and concerned for them, the chances of physical confrontation had passed. The only contact in fact was when I gave one a comforting hug when they burst into tears.

🙂

• YiddBarmy wrote (see)
    Peter Collins wrote (see)

Notwithstanding fighting back, especially in the case of being sexually assaulted, but I'm surprised how many people seem to feel violence is an appropriate response to verbals. It's not. 

What utter twaddle. It all depends on the level of and the nature of the abuse. Also more often than not attackers start with verbal to see if you will defend yourself or not, so turning the other cheek is an invite to be swung at. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. You can judge the situation but it is always 50/50 whether you will have to fight in thst situation and if it is definitely going to happen then it is best to finish it before it starts.

Disagree YB, I deal with aggressive/emotional/drunk etc people every day at work multiple times a day.....those that want to fight won't talk first they just swing. If it starts as a row, it can be diffused or walked away from.

And as for fights, hundreds at work, ive been punched, slapped, spat on, kicked, scratched, stabbed (once) more then i can remember and the worst, getting hit in the back of the head with a stiletto heel from a girl whose boyfriend i had just nicked for headbutting her and breaking her nose.

In my own civvy life, i've never had to have a fight.

• 2wheels wrote (see)

Kittenat that reminds me of a night out in London a few years ago and waiting for a tube at earls Court. It was late at night and around 30 people were on the platform. A couple were having a domestic, it appeared that they'd been on a date and he must have paid but was arguing with her that he wouldn't have if he'd known he wasn't getting an invite back to hers! Most people were ignoring it, I was one of a few people that was keeping an eye on it as it looked like it was going to get nasty. Anyway the bloke tries to grab her bag at which point I'm  about to intervene when this tiny guy walks over taps him on the shoulder, the aggressor told him to fuck off at which point the tiny guy punches him in the face hard enough to knock him over. He's pretty much at my feet and started to get back up, unluckily for him I was in my DM's and kicked him in the stomach leaving him on the floor winded. At that point thankfully the tube pulled in. Not one person checked on the woman. most people were just ignoring it

2wheels - so you kicked the guy when he was put down by another guy. This makes you sound like a coward at best and a thug at worst. Not at all impressive.

• YiddBarmy wrote (see)

Notwithstanding fighting back, especially in the case of being sexually assaulted, but I'm surprised how many people seem to feel violence is an appropriate response to verbals. It's not. 

What utter twaddle. It all depends on the level of and the nature of the abuse. Also more often than not attackers start with verbal to see if you will defend yourself or not, so turning the other cheek is an invite to be swung at. It has happened to me on more than one occasion. You can judge the situation but it is always 50/50 whether you will have to fight in thst situation and if it is definitely going to happen then it is best to finish it before it starts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/features/2003/01/11/gareth.jpg

• YiddBarmy wrote (see)

You've seen my twaddle and raised it to heights of twaddle I can only dream of.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Fighting then, what are you actually gaining?

I mean, I'm really curious to know how and why you are in a position to feel you have to defend yourself.

Where are you and at what time? What are you doing to invite such trouble?

🙂

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    Flat Footed wrote (see)
    YiddBarmy wrote (see)

Disagree YB, I deal with aggressive/emotional/drunk etc people every day at work multiple times a day.....those that want to fight won't talk first they just swing. If it starts as a row, it can be diffused or walked away from.

And as for fights, hundreds at work, ive been punched, slapped, spat on, kicked, scratched, stabbed (once) more then i can remember and the worst, getting hit in the back of the head with a stiletto heel from a girl whose boyfriend i had just nicked for headbutting her and breaking her nose.

In my own civvy life, i've never had to have a fight.

Didn't realise that you were a copper. Nice one.

Perhaps he ought to change his name, sort of a pun on a copper's nick-name perhaps?

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)
    2wheels wrote (see)

Kittenat that reminds me of a night out in London a few years ago and waiting for a tube at earls Court. It was late at night and around 30 people were on the platform. A couple were having a domestic, it appeared that they'd been on a date and he must have paid but was arguing with her that he wouldn't have if he'd known he wasn't getting an invite back to hers! Most people were ignoring it, I was one of a few people that was keeping an eye on it as it looked like it was going to get nasty. Anyway the bloke tries to grab her bag at which point I'm  about to intervene when this tiny guy walks over taps him on the shoulder, the aggressor told him to fuck off at which point the tiny guy punches him in the face hard enough to knock him over. He's pretty much at my feet and started to get back up, unluckily for him I was in my DM's and kicked him in the stomach leaving him on the floor winded. At that point thankfully the tube pulled in. Not one person checked on the woman. most people were just ignoring it

2wheels - so you kicked the guy when he was put down by another guy. This makes you sound like a coward at best and a thug at worst. Not at all impressive.

Maxpower North West wrote (see)
    2wheels wrote (see)

I kicked a guy who had just tried to assault a woman and was about to get up and retaliate. So tell me again what I did wrong? Should I have waited until he was back up so he could go at the woman he'd been arguing with or at the guy who had intervened? 

If that was your sister or daughter that he'd been arguing with and who's bag he had just grabbed would you be criticising me and the other guy? 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    NetanyahuTheWarCriminal wrote (see)
    Puffy- That is hilarious!! I have buttplugged her so don't see her stupid posts these days but that is classic! image)))))))))

I don't often feel the need to qualify posts but it was a good-natured bit of fun keep your vendetta and your unpleasant comments to yourself tough guy.

• 2wheels - so at first he was grabbing her bag now he was assaulting her. The guy who actually stepped in and knocked him down doesn't sound like he needed the help of a coward who sat back until the guy was on the floor. Going in when the guy was down and kicking him with your DM on makes you a coward in my book. You are now starting to bullshit to try and justify your actions.

If it was my sister or daughter I would have thanked the guy who stepped in. You I would have seen as a bit of a tit.

• How ironic that a thread about fighting should turn into a fight.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

How ironic that a thread about fighting should turn into a fight.

• Maxpower, yeah, ok whatever. I'll stand back and do nothing next time.

And obviously a woman being shouted and sworn at by a man who then grabs her bag isn't being assaulted.

• 2wheels - You did do nothing until the guy was on the floor.

Screama - only fight I ever had with was those Gatlin boys and they was askin for it.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

2wheels, from a neutrals perspective, what you did was mete out some punishment.

Dull though it may sound, a measured reaction would be to sit on the guy and wait for the Police to turn up.

However, from what Flat-footed has related, it seems that by doing that, you may have run the risk of being assaulted by the same women who was assaulted by the guy you booted in the guts.

So areas of grey and confusion amid the conflict. So what to do then?

I'm a bit (quite a lot actually) of a coward, so I run away.

🙂