Sub 3:30 Stevenage Marathon 2 November

Comments

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

ITs not just the pain to the foot - if you end up with a lopsided gait as a result, you run the risk of causing yourself some other injury, say a strained hip or whatever. You might get away with a short, easy run that way, but running 20 milers like that is asking for trouble.

YOu might ask a pharmacist for advice if you cant get to a GP/nurse. If in doubt, dont run on it until its resolved but do some cross training instead.

As I recall The underpasses are relatively smooth yes. You dont have to worry about awkward ramps / steps:

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/stevanage8-372x300.jpg

• Yeah that picture is fairly representative, the subways tend to have gradual approaches rather than anything too steep.

• Yes Nayan, those underpasses don't look as bad as I had imagined.  I didn't feel like I was changing my natural gait yesterday, whenever I turned a slight corner (very seldom as it was basically a 10 mile out and 10 mile back straight run) I felt it a bit more.  I shall try a fancy plaster but I find it hard to believe any blister is going to heel under any plaster, no matter how fancy, if you are running 50 miles a week on it.  We shall see.

By the way I am still on this 3:30 plan and the 20 miles/3 hours yesterday was part of that.  (If you take out all the water breaks it was probably 2:55)  The idea being that I will suddenly run 8 minute miles on the day.  I know there is no chance of this however, I shalln't even try for fear of burning myself out early on.  I guess these quicker midweek runs (I did 10M/77 last Thursday) are supposed to be preparing you for 8 minute miles on the day.  Trouble is I didn't ever do any of my HM time trials was supposed to do a HM in 1:37 last Sunday but as I'd been largely off the running for 4 weeks I decided to try and just get a long run in instead and did 18M at 9m/mile.

• Basher wrote (see)

By the way I am still on this 3:30 plan and the 20 miles/3 hours yesterday was part of that.  

Well no you aren't because you've just said
    Basher wrote (see)

Running was going well up to the 6 week mark then I had 4 weeks with just 4 runs(Shoreham 10k, 2 x 10 milers and a 16 miler). 

If you've barely ran for a month you clearly aren;t still on your plan

• Yeah but I have just rejoined it at week 11.  Missed out weeks 7,8,9 and 10.  I'm not getting in an argument 2wheels. just letting people know what I'm doing.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

If you are running to heart rate and knew your max HR id suggest to do 16mi as (4mi easy / 8mi goal pace / 4mi easy). Off say 180bpm max HR, youd expect 130bpm (72% of max) for the first section, then 150bpm (83%) for the next section and for the last stretch  about 140bpm (78%).

If the goal pace section has you tired and breathing too hard, or pushing 85-90% of max HR, so that you'd struggle to chat by the end of it...your goal pace is too fast.

Even better: 1mi easy warmup , 4x(4mi goal pace + 400m easy), warmdown. I tried taht one this weekend and I think its a nice way to test whether youve got your goal pace nailed or whether you need to rein things back a tad. I prefer that to an all out half marathon becasue it carries less injury risk than a race.

Does your plan feature much running at goal pace?

• I don't know my bpm or HR or anything like that.  Don't even know what my goal pace is as I'm not going for 3:30 just want to beat 4 hours.  I just do my long runs at a gentle and natural jogging pace - which seems to be 8:45 ish.  My legs feel good today but that doesn't mean I could go and do 8:00 minute miles.  I just want to beat 4 hours, hopefully running the whole thing, no walking.  Fastest I can imagine me doing is 8:30 miles, I did a few just under that yesterday.  Bought some Scholl blister plasters, it feels good right now.  Shame I am booked in for a game of squash tonight and I don't like to cancel at short notice so will just have to try and win it without moving about too much.

• Basher wrote (see)

Yeah but I have just rejoined it at week 11.  Missed out weeks 7,8,9 and 10.  I'm not getting in an argument 2wheels. just letting people know what I'm doing.

I'm not getting in an argument either. Good luck. I mean what can possibly go wrong

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

If youre going to do 9 min miles on the day youre either taking it a tad easy on race day (very wise) or running faster in training than you need to (not wise).

• I think you'll do 3:50 on the day. Good luck.

My 18miles in 3h30 was awful yesterday I think I'll struggle to go sub 4:00 this time unless the temperature drops to the seasonal average in time.
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Im reading that you can been pretty tired and deliver sub par times at this stage in your marathon prep. Then by the end of the taper you can feel great as the fatigue and niggles ahve been managed away.

heres hoping eh?

• My marathon prep has been pretty non existent. Hoping that my training from London is still in my legs. Long runs so far have been 13-16 miles long. Think I'll get an 18in next Saturday. Then that's it for me.

My 7mile @ 9:00/mi are pretty comfortable and my 10miles average out at 9:00/mi with 4miles at HMP in the middle. I think I'll be ok.
  • Yes hope you're right Nayan.  Next few Sundays are:

5/10  20 miles , 12/10 22 miles, 19/10 18 miles, 26/10 12 miles, 2/11 Marathon

I just want to get the 20 and 22 done in whatever time, but hopefully not slower than 9min/mile.  Was thinking of having a go at the 18 miler a little quicker just as an experiment to see if I can do these long distances at 8:30 or even 8:15.  The alternative is that I just attempt the marathon at 9:00s and hope to just beat 4 hours (safe), or I get ambitious and use the marathon day as my first attempt at running 8:30 or faster over a long run and aim for sub 3:50 (risky, and is the kind of thing that could result in me blowing up and not beating 4 hours).  Though this is what most plans suggest 9:00s in training then suddenly 8:00 on the day.

Are you doing the Stevenage mara then TimR?  If so good luck.

• Ha ha, I've just noticed that that YiddBarmy/Netanyahu is a war criminal person has disappeared, including all their previous posts.  What happened there?  Do the posts appear for others?

• Yes. I am. There's a few of us on another thread I'll see if I can link to it.

It's not 'suddenly' do 8s because you should be running 7-12mile runs mid-week at marathon pace. The long runs have lots of objectives. Seeing how long you can run at marathon pace isn't one of them.
  • Wanted to do 4x1.5M/11minutes withquarter mile jogs in between and a mile jog before and after.  Did the first 1.5M and stopped.  Afraid I am going to have to leave it this week and hope the blister is recovered for my long run on Sunday.  This is really irritating especially as I have no intention of cutting down my food intake whilst exercise is on hold.  

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

15 miles on Sunday, 9 min miles.

just done 20 miles after work on the treadmill, 2:55, 8:45 min miles.  Didnt feel too fresh from the start tbh, but battled through, hoping with a taper and fresh legs it will be easier.  Will try 21 miles along the coast on Sunday and then perhaps 22 miles next Thurs/fri on the treadmill before a long weekend at center parcs and a relaxing taper.

• EffilloEffillo ✭✭✭
    This one of the most confusing and pointless threads I've ever bothered to read.
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

You read the whole thread?  Why not just stop when you got bored And do something more productive with your time.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Effilllo. It's better to travel than to arrive. 

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

21 miles today, 9mm average.  Actually walked a bit of the last mile, hmm dont think I will be doing 3:50, if i do beat 4 hours it will be by seconds.  Conditions werent great .. I never seem to get my pre race diet right and i was into a headwind going out(prob did a negative split) and it was peeing down for the last hour.  Still i did do it but it was hurting at the end.  Hopefully the taper means i will be feeling better at the 21 mile mark on the day than i did today.  Also I did 20 miles on wed so perhaps three days rest is not enough between long runs.

• Basher wrote (see)

Also I did 20 miles on wed so perhaps three days rest is not enough between long runs.

wtf? Why did you do that?

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Cos i didnt do it last sunday

• EffilloEffillo ✭✭✭
    It's oddly addictive to follow the journey. Seeing what the latest training mistake is or what the random goal time has been adjusted to.
  • BasherBasher ✭✭✭

I sense a bullying mentality on this thread.  The way some people carry on you'd think they'd never missed a session, not acheived a target or made a mistake.  I started off wanting to do 3:30 and soon changed that to 4:00.  That was my 1 "random goal time adjustment".

You clearly weren't bored but enjoyed the thread as you felt it was a chance for you to indulge yourself my lampooning someone.  You're not here to help or advise, in fact your motives for being on this thread are wholly dubious.  

• I hope I am not included in that. My top tip (apart from don't do 20+ milers a few days apart, which you've already discovered*) is 'don't run your long runs at goal marathon pace', which I think has already been covered.

*people writing training schedules are not just experts at knowing what runs to put in them, but also in knowing where to put them as part of a balanced week/month/etc. So there is no point ticking off all the runs on the schedule if you're going to move them to days when it is counter-productive to do them. Much better to just miss a run if you don't have time for it that week.

• Basher, if I've learnt anything from everything I read when training for my marathon it was don't try and make up missed runs, it's a bad idea. If last week you did two 20+ mile runs at ~ 9mm thats insane! but as long as it hasn't injured you and you behave and follow the plan till race day, off the back of a 21 mile 9mm run I see no reason why you aren't aiming for a sub 3:45, assuming the rest of your training is going well.
    I did 4 x 20 mile runs in my training about 9mm, but only doing 1 every fortnight giving me plenty of rest in between and managed a 3:45:20 on a challenging course.  

• BasherBasher ✭✭✭

Cos i didnt do it last sunday