British 10k London - measured long?

2»

Comments

• Seriously someone would expect pre-race water!!!!

To be honest I don't expect water on a 10k race but for £50 I would expect a mid race blow job!

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Seriously someone would expect pre-race water!!!!

To be honest I don't expect water on a 10k race but for £50 I would expect a mid race blow job!

You might get one if you run in Magaluf...

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

if any welsh girls are around.

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Seriously someone would expect pre-race water!!!!

I just spit my tea all over my keyboard lol

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

too much spluttering and spitting going on.

• Very funny...but frankly the 10ks I have taken part in do have pre race water whether free or for sale; the BUPA 10000 manages to provide it for £28.... It sounds as though I just usually take part in a classier event that you Maxpower.....

in any event it was a shambles at the end so stop your spitting and spluttering.....

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Welsh Girl52 wrote (see)

Very funny...but frankly the 10ks I have taken part in do have pre race water whether free or for sale; the BUPA 10000 manages to provide it for £28.... It sounds as though I just usually take part in a classier event that you Maxpower.....

in any event it was a shambles at the end so stop your spitting and spluttering.....

PMSL you class events on if they provide pre race water for an event lasting 30-100 minutes? 

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭

Booktrunk - that's 2 x PMSL on one page... Sounds like somebody is overhydrating themselves...

• Welsh Girl - not sure whether you enter classier events but definitely more expensive. My last race was Lancaster 5k which was £3.50 to enter. At the end they give you a bottle of beer and a packet of crisps!

Next race up in Elswick Express 10 Mile race on Saturday which is £10 to enter. At the end you get a bag of summer fruit and a tub of Bonds ice cream (local maker of amazing ice cream). Now if the race organiser, Alan, is reading this don't worry mate I expect no extras for the £6.50 extra I am paying for this one!

I have done a few bigger races, London marathon and GNR being the biggest. They are OK but I simply prefer local races. No hassle getting there, easy parking, into my running quickly and no one shouting 'come on Max' - which is a phrase I think should be saved the bedroom.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Welsh Girl - so let me get this right; you took three medals, then question how many we're given out erroneously? Why didn't you return the ones you didn't need. I expect people at the back may have been upset if/when the medals ran out. 

Also, you say you entered knowing about the levels of disorganisation, then write an email in complaint subsequently. Surely you can see that nothing will change so long as people keep paying up. 

I know people who entered this "race". Basically non-runners doing their only event of the year for charity. Nowt wrong with that, and they all seemed to enjoy it. But when I ask them what they thought of the outrageous entry fee, chaotic start, bottlenecks, shambolic baggage collection, queues for medals, lack of decent food & drink etc...they just assumed that was the norm for running events. image

• Good for you Maxpower you are a hero and I salute you.

FYI I have never entered such a. Expensive event before and most are local ( and all, including the primary school have water, whether for sale or free). I don't know about anyone else but I am willing to give people a second chance. It was marketed well sadly the reality was different.

I understand the Edinburgh marathon was a shambles the first few times it was run, but they sorted themselves out and it is now , again I understand as I haven't run it but have friends who have an excellent event. Hopefully organisers learn, obviously not in this case.

Re the medal we ended up with three between the two of us. Neither if us was in the mood to walk the mile back to where they came from. If they had been handed out as we finished that would not have been the case.

Actually you have no idea what I said to the organisers. Perhaps they don't realise because feedback is via this sort of forum. If they are contacted directly they may then realise what people think.

Oh and as for not wanting people shouting Max except in the bedroom i suspect from your postings on this forum you live a very silent life.
  • Laurent DLaurent D ✭✭✭

Basic economics tell me this event isn't too cheap: the price is what the market will bear, and people are prepared to pay it.

In fact, if anything it's too cheap if it sells out. We're just used to events organised by clubs where the idea is just to cover the costs, and this one is run for profit.

And to answer the original question, see below:

http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/gps.htm

• Welsh Girl52 wrote (see)
    Good for you Maxpower you are a hero and I salute you.
    FYI I have never entered such a. Expensive event before and most are local ( and all, including the primary school have water, whether for sale or free). I don't know about anyone else but I am willing to give people a second chance. It was marketed well sadly the reality was different.
    I understand the Edinburgh marathon was a shambles the first few times it was run, but they sorted themselves out and it is now , again I understand as I haven't run it but have friends who have an excellent event. Hopefully organisers learn, obviously not in this case.
    Re the medal we ended up with three between the two of us. Neither if us was in the mood to walk the mile back to where they came from. If they had been handed out as we finished that would not have been the case.
    Actually you have no idea what I said to the organisers. Perhaps they don't realise because feedback is via this sort of forum. If they are contacted directly they may then realise what people think.
    Oh and as for not wanting people shouting Max except in the bedroom i suspect from your postings on this forum you live a very silent life.

Actually people have contacted the organisers directly over a number of years. They've either been ignored or given a load of abuse.

Others have contacted the councils that provide the license for the event but to no effect.

The best thing anyone can do is put the word out among their mates that this race is one to be avoided at all costs.

• Welsh Girl - hero is a word often associated with me by others but I don't like to talk about that side of me. Live a very noisy life, what with kids at home and working in a busy city. Maybe just maybe that is why I like the peace and quiet that running brings. Anyway keep on running xxx

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Laurent D wrote (see)

And to answer the original question, see below:

http://coursemeasurement.org.uk/gps.htm

This should be a "sticky" in the Events section.

• Excellent - so after many years of 'organising' the race - the British 10k is STILL a shambles - despite all of the complaints - and 'that' website and still people are keen to give them huge wadges of money.

Good to see that some things never change.
  • Vitality are asking for feedback on this event. You can email them at vitality.experience@pruhealth.co.uk This request for feedback was included in this week's parkrun newsletter.

• Rob C 75 wrote (see)

Vitality are asking for feedback on this event. You can email them at vitality.experience@pruhealth.co.uk This request for feedback was included in this week's parkrun newsletter.

Vitality didn't give a fuck about the negative comments after the Hackney Half, I doubt this will be any different

• Hi

It was the first time since 2009 since I ran the British 10k.  The organisation was as bad as before. It did feel longer than last time.  Whilst waiting to go through the start I thought it was weird that people were walking from the start.  My feelings are that they could have separate lane like in swimming pools for walkers, and also crowds were running across the path.  I did get a pb but there were no goody bags this year.  I have still got my asics pen from 2009!

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

I guess the problem is that newer runners don't know what it's like and many will enter in part because it is THE British 10k - sounds all rather grand doesn't it.

But yeah, anyone I hear talking about it I immediately recommend something else. I did it last year despite a few reservations and wished I hadn't and I guess that's what they rely on.

I have a friend who works for a charity that had places this year and I turned down running for them simply because I couldn't take a place in what I felt was an unsafe race. She emailed the organisers after last year to make some suggestions based on what runners had said and received a snotty letter back.

But all the while they have the name and that route people will run it and pay the ridiculous money. As said above just need to keep getting the word out that there are better cheaper runs!

• The issue here is very simple: there are people prepared to fork out a small fortune to pay for those crooks holidays, that's why this race never improves, it's the same s* year after year ... and whilst people keep coming back for more of the same, the event will never be held accountable for its disregard to runners

so, why not starting by YOU ALL and take action, spay 1/3 of the price tag and do another event, maybe, just maybe when the numbers start to drop and they can't afford 5* holidays in the Bahamas any more, they will do something about it

spread the word, make sure that just all people you know, are aware of what they are letting themselves into, and then if they so choose to go for it, then, well, they deserve what they get ... it's one thing being unaware of the things that happen, happened in the past and will continue happening, now going into it regardless of being told what to expect is a plain sign of stupidity and come next year there will be yet another thread here discussing the same all over again ... WAKE UP folks 

and don't you ever try to write something bad on their facebook page, you will be expelled and blocked ... it's how they get around stopping making more people aware of their sod race ... they should feature on BBC Rip of Britain 

• Grendel3 wrote (see)

Someone said Non Runners organise it - is Mike O'Reilly in charge ? - if memory serves me correctly he was a pretty decent marathon runner (in fact he was quicker over a marathon than Eammon Martin - 

Mind reading some articles, he has a bigger chip on his shoulder than L*****d C*****ie had. 

not the point, a guy who does this, see link bellow should not be in charge of a race 

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/the-director-of-the-british-10k-london-is-an-unprofessional-tool/176536.html