Cameron recent activity

Comments

• Nayan wrote (see)

Teachers can retire to earn a decent chunk of their final salary, inflation protected,  until they finally pop their clogs. That costs whatever it costs, and the taxpayer  (thats you by the way) foots the bill. When you run the numbers this turns out to be a very large amount of cash.

If you want to retire as comfortably as this, you dont ahve the luxury of leaning on the state to pick up the tab. Essentailly you ahve to put enough into savings, pensions, isa etc to fund it all. At current prices thats in the ballpark of about half a million quid. ie, whatever you are putting away had better have grown to that sort of money if you want to enjoy anything like what your averaghe striking teacher is going to get when they decide they cant be arsed with schools inspectors, unsatisfied parents or ofsted reports and call it a day.

Of course anyone is entitled to strike if they are being screwed over. Teachers however don't know they are born.

Let me say the important bit again. HALF A MILLION QUID. Hows your pension plan doing?

Extremely ill-informed comment. The Teachers' scheme is contributory, a large chunk being taken from teachers' pay each month. Pensions contributions qualify for tax relief admittedly but no more so than any other pensions scheme or for those who wish to fund their retirement through investing in a SIPP.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

its not about a race to the bottom -'people' are struggling to make ends meet and rasing kids too. They are the ones who ultimately pay the salaries and pensions the teachers are saying arent good enough and they are also the ones who have to lose holiday/paychildminders when said teachers go on strike.

Put it this way - when you cant get to work becasue of a tube strike, you are to some extent allowed to ask whether the tube workers have a point or not. Teachers shouldn't be immune to the same scrutiny. When you shine the light on what they are actually striking about its pretty clear they are taking the piss.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/members/resources/calculators/estimate-your-maximum-lump-sum.aspx

I think you miss the point. I never said they were getting it for free, just that what they are getting for their conribution is outstandingly generous. (vs what the resty of us have to face) Its a final salary / defined benefit scheme, remember.

It certainly should be reformed to a voluntary, defined contribuiton one. Everyone in the real world moved on from final salary schemes when they realised how much they cost.

• Nayan wrote (see)

Everyone in the real world moved on from final salary schemes when they realised how much they cost.

Not everyone image

• Not for a million pounds...  Oh hang on, Perhaps

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

heh lucky you. I did read about US minicipalities laying off current firemen as they collapse under the weight of retired firemen's pension benefits.

I cant blame anyone for taking the money when its on offer. The point is that these are throwbacks to a time when peple had the idea that all this was affordable. And it just isnt.  

• Are you a throw back Nick ? or just very old like me ?

• Yep, I did a proper apprenticeship in the 70's... We have tried offering apprenticeships here over the last couple of years, and cos you have to get out of bed and here by 7:30 and work a 40 hour week, the great unwashed would rather sponge.

Anyone else remember having a mortgage interest rate of 15% ? and you are worried you are skint now, Granted we didn't have 2 fancy cars and a flat screen TV in 1980

• Wow, you really are old aren't you? image 

• Dog years or human years?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Yep, I did a proper apprenticeship in the 70's... We have tried offering apprenticeships here over the last couple of years, and cos you have to get out of bed and here by 7:30 and work a 40 hour week, the great unwashed would rather sponge.

Anyone else remember having a mortgage interest rate of 15% ? and you are worried you are skint now, Granted we didn't have 2 fancy cars and a flat screen TV in 1980

yeah but no but yeah but you could buy a house for 10 quid plus a few luncheon vouchers

• Nayan wrote (see)

yeah but no but yeah but you could buy a house for 10 quid plus a few luncheon vouchers

Which was considerably more than I earned  in 1979

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

she also gets a massive amount of paid leave. Look I don't doubt that teachers have to work hard, and that some of them still give a shit.

I do however think they live in a bubble if they think they are the only ones who have to tighten their belts. And I think they don't realise how much better off they are than many. A lot of this stems from not understanding how generous their pensions in fact are (and remain, even with recent reforms)

I also think they massively miscalculate the extent to which parents' patience is wearing thin.

• I could also do with teachers to teach kids the difference between there & their
  • NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I don't see how the bad behaviour of mos, bankers, etc gives teachers license to also take the piss.

nurses, firemen etc get a much tougher deal than do teachers. 

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You're right 'taking the piss' is a bit strong. I respect peoples right to strike of course. However they should respect the publics right to agree or disagree with their fight. 

Fir the most, nurses have a raw deal. Now there are some things teachers can rightly complain about but it ses lime their main beef is their pensions. In which case no I think they are well out of sync with the rest of us. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm another who did an engineering apprenticeship in the late 70's. 

The one characteristic I noted from engineering was how many of the guys; no matter what their level, appeared to be nursing some sort of grudge against anyone who they perceived as not having oil in their system instead of blood.

🙂

• As a teacher, I'd like to make the point that the recent industrial action is about far more than pensions.

I was striking because I care about the future of the teaching profession, and I believe that it's important that your children are taught by someone qualified, who works under conditions which allow them to actually educate your kids and equip them for adult life.

It breaks my heart to see people swallowing the "selfish, lazy teachers" lie hook, line and sinker.