Cameron recent activity

124»

Comments

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

He sounds like a twat.

• Options
    NetanyahuTheWarCriminal wrote (see)
    Teachers just get slagged off for the kids not achieving their expected grades, regardless of how much effort they put into motivating the students.

If you teach at a school were they select the pupils so you have more of a similar ability, efforts aren't dragged down by the lowest

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Classic sample bias. I suspect that the better league table standing of grammar, denominational and of course fee paying schools owes a fair amount to their exclusion of children from poorer backjgrounds or with less pushy/invovled parents. Fee paying schools will also make it clear that your child inst welcome should they show signs of not making the grade at GCSE and usher you towards the local comp for fear of dsragging their average down. They dont tell you that when you are applying of course.

Also the idea that the fee paying sector is a safe harbour from demotivated, striking teachers is a bit delusional. I know a few folks who see their (fee paying school-) teachers call for pointless netball tournaments in barbaos or tennis camps in sotto grande - ostensibly motivated by the teacher wanting a week in the sun. 

• Options
    Nayan wrote (see)

Classic sample bias. I suspect that the better league table standing of grammar, denominational and of course fee paying schools owes a fair amount to their exclusion of children from poorer backjgrounds or with less pushy/invovled parents.

I didn't disagree.. Just if you want the best for your kids, you will do everything you can to assist

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Cant fault the sentiment - I just think fee paying schools trade off it and you have to be wise to their tricks. 

• Options

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of fee paying schools  image

• Options

But isn't the measure of how good a school is.. The percentage of pupils getting A - C grades ?

and that of course is also a measure of how good the teachers are...  Good ones will gravitate to the better schools and the poor ones will end up at inner city comps

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Value added is open to interpretation. Some schools focus on taking poorer kids, possibly where english isnt even spoken that much at home to a basic standard of literacy etc. That kind of value added is far easier to clock up than (for example) taking little Emily to grade 6 Cor Anglais while improving Ffion's fencing. 

Depends what you are after really. And on whether your kid really is bright enough to warrant special attention/pushing etc or not.

• Options
    Nayan wrote (see)

. And on whether your kid really is bright enough to warrant special attention/pushing etc or not.

How do you know if they are bright enough, Without putting them in the best school you can manage ?

Always thought lacrosse was more important than fencing, B&Q will come and knock up a fence 

• Options
     Yes posh schools get better results

Define posh ?

• Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    Nayan, Interesting view point, so teaching foreign kids English and opening up their world is not as valuable as lecturing a bunch of posh rich kids, who in all probability would get the same grades wherever they are taught. It of course rubbish, because value added is the effect a teacher has on the child. Ten private schools are factories where the already advantages kids get another push up the ladder, real schools are where teaching takes place.
    No, I didn't offer any view or value judgement about whether improving the literacy of 'poorer' children was better or worse than improving the extra curricular activities of 'richer' children.
    Also just because a child grows up here with parents who have little or no prospects and/or weak english it doesnt make them 'foreign.'
    What I was getting at was something else - specifically that 'value added' covers diverse areas. Just because one school has a higher or lower score on that metric it doesnt automatically mean that it will be the best thing for your child.