Is iit being too ambitious to aim for half-ironman in the next 18months?

Comments

• There was only one section on the Spring TONF where I had to whack it into my granny gear and stand up to pedal - and that was only a very short hill (short hill that sucked).  But you don't do it on the 65k route I don't think and you miss out Beacon Hill entirely image 

• Thats good to know but i will still practise hill climbing anyway.

The answer is probably obvious but how many lengths of a 25m pool wd i need to swim todo hakf ironman distance ; i know 64 is a mile but how much more wd i have to do(i know HIM swims are open water but i want to see how quick i cand do the dustance in a pool first)

My bike mileage is coming on but have a long way to go to feel comfortable doing long distances but it will happen as will being able to run 10k comfortably then 13.1 miles - iam looking at doing one in 2016/2017 depending on how next year goes.
  • 76 lengths (ish)

Depends on the race, Some HIM's like Bala are a 2k swim rather than 1.9K

• Thanks Dave.

I wd be looking for a HIM that is flattish particilarly the bike lol.
  • Wild Boar would your best bet then for around the East Midlands image 

• HornbagHornbag ✭✭✭

Ely monster?  Nice flat course . . .

Once you have the road bike - I would consider a turbo so that you can spend some time on the bike even on the crappiest of days . . . But then you do score more points for going out in the filthy weather.

Get a head torch for winter running and some nice bright reflective gear.

Get into a routine, if you can get a buddy into the routine with you then you are less likely to slack off!

Remember, you are getting out there - so you will always be lapping the person who is still on the couch!

Andy

• Thanks Andy

I usually ride on a sunday with a friend from work - we push each other. She came with me on my 30mile ride plus last saturday.

Maybe Wild Boar would be a good one for my first Half Ironman then if I finish that one then enter Half Outlaw in 201 but I am in no hurry.

Whereabouts in the East Midlands is it held and what time of year? Spring or Autumn.

• Bally-Bally- ✭✭✭
    TRINOLONGERNEWBIE wrote (see)
    Thanks Dave.

I wd be looking for a HIM that is flattish particilarly the bike lol.

Personally I'm looking for one with a flat swim, if not downhill image

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

hello Tri, 

wild boar just down the road for you at Bosworth Water Park

http://www.fullboarevents.com/event.php?event=14

so you could build your confidence by getting familiar with the routes. 

good to hear you and your mate are getting out and building up the miles, all good!

• Well don't do Bala then Bally

That's an out and back swim... Up hill both ways
  • Hi jen as have cycled to bosworth water park cd look at bike & run routes & try them out ; not full distance though just 1 lap of bike & 2 laps of run route enough to give me an idea of how long it wd take me to do full distance in both then can do both in full before deciding when to enter.
  • See you'll be doing an IM before you know it
  • Has anyone done the Willd Boar middle distance; if so what are the cut off times for each discipline so know what time to fall within.
  • Stop worrying about cut offs, get on with training
  • Ok although if i dont know how long it should take how do i know how fast i need to be? I feel i could do the distance but not sure i wd be fast enough.

Does anyone know the villages the wild boar middle distance bike route goes through as no maps on the events page unless i am looking in wrong place! Though if i knew route i cd do it with my friend.
  • Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Hello Tri,

this is the bike route

http://www.fullboarevents.com/sitemanager/uploads/ck_files/files/SPRINTbike%5BRGB%5D(2).jpg

It's a really straightforward route, no hills to worry about, small climb out to the 444 and Shenton Lane back into Bosworth. Fenn  Lanes nice quick part of the route. If you're still building your confidence on main roads, you can come off the 444 not far after the Cock Inn and head via Upton village back to Fenn Lanes. (I'm sure if you google map the water park you'll be able to work out the actual route and see if there are any variations you want to make whilst training)

• Thanks Jen

Will google map the water park.

Regards 

Tri

• When you are doing the bike in 4 hours and the run in less than 3 you should manage any cut off...

So get out and put the hard miles in
  • Can vouch for the roads around Bosworth, really nice and fast country roads, loads of bikes out so really popular so no reason not to do a recce image
  • Thanks Dave - have printed out a map of the bike route so will show my friend and we can do it together and time ourselves to see how quick we do one lap.

Thanks justplodon it looks ok from the map.

Think my running needs more work - I did my first 3 mile run in about a month today and although quicker than at the Flashman Sprint (51mins as opposed t0 56mins@flashman sprint) its still too slow!

However my friend from the tri club reckoned I was getting faster from my run at the clubs Aquathlon- she reckoned I ran it in 43mins but I am not sure - my swim time was 14mins 22secs and my total time was an hour 10mins and 5 secs so if anyone could work out my run time from that I would appreciate it - I dont think I was that fast! 

• If your friend is right, you took 12 minutes in transition

• I will check with her next time i see her.
  • Trewbie, I like reading your posts. Is there a parkrun near you? It might be good to get a regular 5k in so you can measure your improvement from week to week. Ideally if there was one a few miles ride away you could combine bike and run training on Saturday mornings.

• Trewbie, there's no formal cut offs for the boar, I cycle over there most Saturdays (depending on work) for a swim, I could show you the bike route if you want, the run route has changed from last year so youd be better off checking the map on the site, but if you pop down on a Saturday morning and chat to Robbo (one of the organisers) from 1485 tri, he'll answer any questions image

I wear a pirate swim cap and if not floundering in the weeds am usually found swanning around with a cup of tea in my hand

• Hi Gyraffe - yes there is one @braunstone near leiceztet which i have done 5times before i joined Nuneaton Triathlon club last year.

JPGoodboy ; r u there every saturday? I have only ever cycled to bosworth water park with a friend on a sunday when it was quiet on the roads so may need to do it on my own on a sunday first ! Unless i can get a bus to market bosworth then cycle from there.
  • That sounds perfect.image

The others are right, with all parts of the event if you start small and just keep cracking away things will click and the speed and distance will come with time. I always improve when I race because the mad competitive streak comes out - but I have a tendency to potter when I train on my own.

• My friend & i am doing the Wild Boar Middle Distance bike leg on sunday ; just one lap to see how quick it takes to do it.is it classed as a half ironman albeit not an official one? My friend at the tri club believes i can do the bike & swimbut need to build up my running distance gradually.
  • Ironman is a registered trade mark owned by the World Triathlon Corporation. So you can't call an event a half or full ironman without being hit by lawyers..

So that's why events are called middle distance or long distance rather than "Ironman"

Don't worry about it
  • Wasnt worried just curious - although the bike leg for Wild Boar is 84k 6k less than for an official half ironman which i have read as 90k if i am correct not a lot of difference though.

I suppose if u are not bothered middle distance tris are great for testing the water before doing an official HIM.

Why dont the organisers of middle distance tris apply to call their race half ironman or does it cost too much? Its seems a shame that people dont get to callthemselves a half ironman as the distance is similar just because they chose to do a cheaper race. Just an observation.